• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Projecting fears on to others

Suzanne

V.I.P Member
I suffer from chronic social anxiety, to the extent that being out on my own brings horrible insecure feelings. But rather annoyingly, I seem to have taken on the habit of projecting my own fears to others.

Two people I know, are going on very long journey''s to other countries and on their own as of tomorrow and as stupid as it seems, it feels as though it is me doing the journey and I can feel myself panicking at the notion. I have not said anything to them, though, for I recognise I am being completely insane to have these feelings.

For me it is the unknown. For example, I know my friend is driving to a certain point and for some reason, that calmed me down a little bit.

I wish I could find a cure for this. I can deal with it for me, but hate that I am projecting it on to others.

i will do a similar thing.. i call it sympathy pains. similar to how when a woman is pregnant and the husband will get sick when she gets sick (it's not super common but it happens).. i'll do it with just about everything. i won't worry as much if they aren't worried.. but if they're even slightly worried, i'll amplify it to an extreme
likewise however, if it's a positive situation.. lets say (to use my example, i don't want to use yours and worry you any more lol) say the parents were worried about the baby being born with various problems.. and when the baby is born, it's perfectly healthy, none of the problems they were worried about ever happened... i'll be just as relieved as the actual parents.

that's not to say i won't be jealous of situations (lets say somebody gets a girlfriend.. while i still can't get myself outside and comfortable at the same time) but i also do end up feeling good that they got a girlfriend... that stuff can get a bit weird to be jealous and happy at the same time

i like watching self-help stuff on youtube.. my most recent one is "actualized.org" which is a guy who looks like my uncle, so it makes it so much better. but he has a lot of helpful stuff.. maybe 1 of the videos will be good for you... i don't have any specific suggestions, it just depends on what you want help with

New Threads

Top Bottom