• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Processing Speed and Memory Problems

The Penguin

Chilly Willy The Penguin
Having slow processing speed for my brain and memory problems has caused a huge burden for my life. Though I understand it is part of my learning disabily. Have this issue makes it hard to excel in life. Despite of this, I still do the best I can. The hard part of this, society is not always understanding of this. Having these issues prevents me having many opportunities in life. Since I know there is no cure for a learning disability, I need to make the best with what I have.

One good skill I have, I know how to find good resources to have people to advocate for me. This is very important because without this, it would be very hard to succeed in this world.

I'm open to advice and suggestions people may have as I really want to improve.

Have you tried playing memory games? Nothing long, involved, or pressured. Maybe a pack of simple cards designed for a memory game where you lay them all face down, and slowly try to pick the pairs based on where your remembered certain cards to have previously lain. Like this: Funbrain.com Fun Match Game - Funbrain.com
I don't know if it does improve memory, but it can be fun to do.

Have you tried playing memory games? Nothing long, involved, or pressured. Maybe a pack of simple cards designed for a memory game where you lay them all face down, and slowly try to pick the pairs based on where your remembered certain cards to have previously lain. Like this: Funbrain.com Fun Match Game - Funbrain.com
I don't know if it does improve memory, but it can be fun to do.
Thanks. I did took a look and learn I'm really horrible at those games. But I know the purpose is for me to improve. I know I need to ensure I have clear mind with no distraction so I can focus better. Thanks for the resource. I'm going to start using it right away and glad that site works for my phone too.

Yes, I can relate to it. This was one of the main reasons why I wanted to find out what's going on with my brain. At this point I think that processing speed may be connected to sensory issues. My ability to memorize things started to deteriorate slowly between ages 5 and 6. I watched it happening, how I went from remembering anything I wanted effortlessly to being unable or having great difficulties with memorizing. I managed, and have done pretty well. At this point I just remember what I need and don't care about the rest. But I may need to do some more brain exercising as I get older to prevent further deterioration. I have an app on my phone, the tasks seem quite challenging. (Mind Games pro).

Practice makes perfect. You don't have to be the very best to be able to do many tasks, but you do need to be able to do something to be productive.

Practice makes perfect. You don't have to be the very best to be able to do many tasks, but you do need to be able to do something to be productive.
Right. The first thing I'm working on is remembering people names. This is extremely important since I'm starting a business. I had someone gave me some tips and going to master this week. I'm also working with organizations to share suggestions for me. Anything that I'm able to improve on can make my life easier.

I've had to learn many intricate skills over my study years which was quite difficult at first. Repetition is your friend. :) you don't need to be the best, just be proactive about trying to improve through memory games etc. :D

Memory is a major issue for me too. This is confusing for people who don't know me well because I come across as fairly ineligent, but often have difficulty following instructions or remembering to do certain tasks. They believe that I am willfully ignoring them, or being lazy, but the fact is I simply forgot.

I do have some adaptive strategies that help immensely. First of all; I write things down. Important dates go in a daytimer. I also make up lists of tasks if they aren't part of my regular routine. Setting alarms on my cell phone also helps, even if it's for something non-time-sensitive like "take your lunch bag home with you." It's funny, because I used to work with seniors who were dealing with memory loss, and I would pass these tips onto them, having dealt with the same problems my whole life.

I like Jason's suggestion of playing memory games. This is something I should heed as well. I'm also trying to think if there are any strategies for recalling names because people often get offended by this, especially if you have met several times.

Memory is a major issue for me too. This is confusing for people who don't know me well because I come across as fairly ineligent, but often have difficulty following instructions or remembering to do certain tasks. They believe that I am willfully ignoring them, or being lazy, but the fact is I simply forgot.

I do have some adaptive strategies that help immensely. First of all; I write things down. Important dates go in a daytimer. I also make up lists of tasks if they aren't part of my regular routine. Setting alarms on my cell phone also helps, even if it's for something non-time-sensitive like "take your lunch bag home with you." It's funny, because I used to work with seniors who were dealing with memory loss, and I would pass these tips onto them, having dealt with the same problems my whole life.

I like Jason's suggestion of playing memory games. This is something I should heed as well. I'm also trying to think if there are any strategies for recalling names because people often get offended by this, especially if you have met several times.

This is what I do a lot, too. I'm a big fan of any.do and, to a lesser extent, Trello. The former is great for to-do lists and has a great calendar app that integrates with it on smartphones and you can have alerts for to-do items as well as calendar items, and it builds agendas based on both. The latter is great for lists of stuff to do that need shared (it's designed for Agile project management, so it's basically a digital KANBAN board, but it works for household stuff like chores and shopping lists, because the board itself is accessible to everyone in the house, and the lists within are transient as necessary).

I also try to make appointments at regular times. For example, my chiropractor appointment is always at 4:30 or 5pm on the same day of the week, so even though it's only every other week, it's easy to remember. Other appointments are usually first thing in the morning, at lunch time, or last thing in the evening at the end of the business day. This makes them easier for me to remember, and less disruptive to my schedule.

I also try to do most of my communication through visual means, such as email. This provides me with the time necessary to fully process what I'm receiving, so I can respond more appropriately. If I can't do that, I prefer face-to-face, because phone conversation is the most difficult for me. I do it this way, because I have the most issues with audio processing, so my preferred communication is written, but with face-to-face, I can at least look at the person and sort of "read" what they're saying through their facial and body movements. Written communication also provides direct recall mechanisms, which reduces the "but I thought you said..." issues I've often run into.

As for names, I'm horrible with names. I'm lucky to remember the names of some of my favorite actors (like, I'm a big Morgan Freeman fan, but for the life of me, 9 times out of 10, when I try to remember his name, I can't). However, I can do better when I have a picture and the name written down in connection with that picture. Getting a business card may suffice for this purpose, too, especially if you can attach it to something else you've written down or whatever, to help associate that name with the situation, and ultimately, the person you met with. I've also gotten rather adept at downplaying the whole name thing. That strategy works best in face-to-face meetings, where recognizing by sight is sufficient in the greeting phase.

Finally, I'm of the opinion that there's a fine line between acknowledging your limits and making them a self-fulfilling prophecy. You're on the right track to keep that from happening by finding and using the various tricks, but the "I can't have these opportunities because of this" mindset can work against you, too. Be mindful of that and don't let it bog you down or keep you from trying something or finding your own way to do something. When you find something that works well for you, stand your ground. There are people out there who are more than happy to work with you in the manner that works best for you. You'd be surprised how much people will rise to the standards you set for yourself and your clients.

I find it useful to put words, dates or anything of importance into a picture in my head. Its much easier to remember pictures instead of words. For example, if you have to remember someone's name, put their name to a feature about them so whenever you think of that feature, their name will be attached to it.

I know exactly what you are talking about. My memory is so bad it is sad. I can't remember most of the past 2 decades and that is sad. My wife will ask me if I remember some detail of something that happened or buying something and I just can't remember. In my job there are things that I forget which is concerning because I could lose my job. The speed of my brain processing is so slow but I think a lot of that is the effect of different medications I have been over the years. I believe damage has been done. At work we have a disabilities services that I believe I am going to work with. Hopefully that would help protect my job.

One thing that I do to help with the memory issues is to add events on my calendar in my phone and that helps. There is also an app that is called "do it" that you can add tasks in that you need to do.

That's an awesome video, 113. I see that technique being very useful. I will also have to check out some of the apps people have suggested.

You might find this video interesting. The book is good too. Try this for names.

. . .

Sometimes, these TED videos annoy me because they feel like they are put out there as a liability factor for my bosses rather than having time to watch all these videos and prepare curriculum AND enjoy one's life too. But in this context, in a non-stressed environment, it seems much more interesting to me! lol

New Threads

Top Bottom