• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Problems with Concentration and Exam Stress - Does anyone have advice?

cfc

This is my first time posting on here. I was diagnosed with Aspergers when I was 7 years old, and I am now in my second year of my A Levels. It's concentration, exam stress and revision that I wanted people's help with. I always do my homework and try to work hard, but concentrating on work, and revision is really difficult for me. I want to revise well and early, but I always find myself extremely fatigued and/or unable to start properly and really concentrate enough to take what I'm looking at in my head. I have not been diagnosed with ADD or ADHD, but are poor concentration levels still a part of Aspergers on it's own? Does anyone with Aspegers suffer with poor concentration levels when attempting to revise, and what techniques do you use that help with poor concentration and revising effectively?

Also, outside of school life, I'm a massive Chelsea fan. This is my main Aspergers Obsession/"Special Interest", and we are about to win the league. This is a huge prospect, and being able to enjoy the matches, and the day we seal the title is very important for me. I'm worried that because of revision and exam stress, I won't be able to enjoy seeing my team win the league, as all the school anxieties will overshadow it, and I'll never be able to get those thoughts and feelings out of my head. Can anyone relate to this feeling of good moments in personal lives being overshadowed because of exam worries?

I have not been diagnosed with ADD or ADHD, but are poor concentration levels still a part of Aspergers on it's own?

That's really quite a good question. One I have of myself, wondering if there was a pattern to my own concentration levels. I've learned some pretty complex things over the years, but only through painful struggle.

The only thing I had to work with that I was aware of was my own perseverance. I just don't give up easily. Though I certainly wish learning was an easier process.

Try listening to this at a comfortable volume in the background. It may or may not help, but it's worth a try.

I do not struggle with exam anxieties personally. I do not believe Asperger's does promote test anxiety in itself, and is dependent on the person.

This is my first time posting on here. I was diagnosed with Aspergers when I was 7 years old, and I am now in my second year of my A Levels. It's concentration, exam stress and revision that I wanted people's help with. I always do my homework and try to work hard, but concentrating on work, and revision is really difficult for me. I want to revise well and early, but I always find myself extremely fatigued and/or unable to start properly and really concentrate enough to take what I'm looking at in my head. I have not been diagnosed with ADD or ADHD, but are poor concentration levels still a part of Aspergers on it's own? Does anyone with Aspegers suffer with poor concentration levels when attempting to revise, and what techniques do you use that help with poor concentration and revising effectively?

Also, outside of school life, I'm a massive Chelsea fan. This is my main Aspergers Obsession/"Special Interest", and we are about to win the league. This is a huge prospect, and being able to enjoy the matches, and the day we seal the title is very important for me. I'm worried that because of revision and exam stress, I won't be able to enjoy seeing my team win the league, as all the school anxieties will overshadow it, and I'll never be able to get those thoughts and feelings out of my head. Can anyone relate to this feeling of good moments in personal lives being overshadowed because of exam worries?
I relate to these types of concentration problems, particularly with academics. I think it's a part of the executive function problems that can come with having Aspergers, and anxiety is also not uncommon. I have all of this - it's worse in more stressful situations. You don't have to have ADD or ADHD to struggle with concentration, there just might be different reasons for it or different situations/conditions that trigger it. For example, I can concentrate on a special interest for, like, a week, lol! If nothing stopped me, who knows. But stuff I need to do outside of my compulsive drives, that's tough to maintain focus on.

New Threads

Top Bottom