• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Problems learning mathematics in high school

han8

Hi,

I have problems learning (15 years old) mathematics in high school.
I do not get enough verbal information in school, so I need to learn it with more visual information.
But, how?
I need some tips about how I can learn and understand mathematics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I have problems to learn (15 years old) matematic in higher schools. I do not get enough verbale informations in school, so I need to learn self with more visuall. But, how?
I need some tipps how I learn and understand mathematic?

Hi, Han8. You can google "free math worksheets" and get lots of free downloads of math problems. You can work on the math problems after school. Start with the worksheets that are easy for you, and then move on to harder math worksheets as you learn more math.

I also suggest you talk to your math teacher about it. Tell your teacher that you learn better if you get verbal instructions and that you don't learn as well when you get only visual instructions.

Good luck!

When I was struggling to learn mathematics at University - I looked up as many resources as I could online, starting with the basic concepts. There are so many math orientated learning web portals that include exercises so that you can see how and why certain things happen. Youtube can also be useful for the more visual work-throughs.

I think one of the resources I used was this one: Math | Khan Academy

There are others like it too. Good luck :)

Hi,

I have problems to learn (15 years old) matematic in higher schools. I do not get enough verbale informations in school, so I need to learn self with more visuall. But, how?
I need some tipps how I learn and understand mathematic?

I am not sure what you're saying here.

Do you mean that when you were 15 and in school, it was difficult to learn math?
Because your Profile gives your age as 38, an adult.

Are you now, as an adult, needing advanced math for responsibilities
of a job that you have or hope to have?

Or what do you mean?

Hi, I mean I am 15 and have problems with learning math and known of the steps. I changed my profil now.

Hi Han8, I was totally lost with math as well. Being older and having had sufficient time to figure out what was wrong with me, I realized that I never mastered the rules and strategies of algebra or geometry. Without understanding what to look for in a math problem, and not knowing about the hierarchy of formulas, etc., you just remain lost and frustrated. Every step must be deliberate and for an identifiable reason. Since I had instant ADD when confronted by a complex math problem, I never focused properly. Fear of failure (inevitable failure) put my mind on to thoughts of shame and confusion, not the issue I am trying to solve. That requires having a calm demeanor so that you can truly focus with the right rules. You have to be able to identify the parts of a problem that dictate the approach. Go back to the basics before you tackle more complex problems.

If you are serious about math, learn the proper definitions of the terms used in math. I still can't define the word "integer". I know it is a number, but why is it not called a number? Memorize rules of hierarchy in complex formulas. And, do what everyone else suggests - practice with work sheets a lot.

I only know now that math is nothing to fear. There are rules that you must memorize (moving decimal points, solving multiplication before subtraction, etc.) Have faith and master the rules. Don't pressure yourself. Keep a clear head and go slowly, but deliberately. Practice where you won't be disturbed and don't let yourself daydream. Take small bites. I wish you great success.

If you are serious about math, learn the proper definitions of the terms used in math. I still can't define the word "integer". I know it is a number, but why is it not called a number? Memorize rules of hierarchy in complex formulas. And, do what everyone else suggests - practice with work sheets a lot.

I only know now that math is nothing to fear. There are rules that you must memorize (moving decimal points, solving multiplication before subtraction, etc.) Have faith and master the rules. Don't pressure yourself. Keep a clear head and go slowly, but deliberately. Practice where you won't be disturbed and don't let yourself daydream. Take small bites. I wish you great success.

All great advice. I've always been good at math, so I don't quite know what makes it hard for other Aspies. I always thought that because math was all about rules that it would be easier? Pure logic.

Also, an integer is a type of number. Like a lion is a type of cat. That's why we call them integer lions. Because you can't have part of a lion. It's just hyena food at that point ^^

Also, an integer is a type of number. Like a lion is a type of cat. That's why we call them integer lions. Because you can't have part of a lion. It's just hyena food at that point ^^

Thanks Pinkie. Does this mean that an integer is a whole number that can never be divided? The idea is strange to me.

@Peter Morrison

Integer Definition (Illustrated Mathematics Dictionary)

No, it means that the number has not been divided.
Not that it cannot be divided.

A number with no fractional part (no decimals).

Includes:
• the counting numbers {1, 2, 3, ...},
• zero {0},
• and the negative of the counting numbers {-1, -2, -3, ...}

We can write them all down like this: {..., -3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3, ...}

Examples of integers: -16, -3, 0, 1, 198

Try the link.
(There is an easy illustrative activity within.) :)

No, it means that the number has not been divided.
Not that it cannot be divided.

So, as I understand it, an integer is a whole number (any whole number, positive or negative), but never including a decimal or fraction (not 2.3 nor 2 3/10). Once a number has been reduced or increased by any amount resulting in a fraction or decimal, it is no longer an integer. So integers are whole numbers only. Do I have it right?

I had similar issues with math in school. My suggestion to you would be to ask for help whether it be from a tutor, a friend or a teacher.

Math is one of my strong subjects, but algebra was tough at first. My first semester I got a D. It took some time to understand it, then I did great.

I used to hate story problems, but now I think they are beneficial to putting a real life face to the equations and processes.

I also do the reverse for myself. I use math to make my life easier. For example trying to figure how much slack was in my timing chain and all I had was a breaker bar and a tape measure and very little room to work, I could do some trig and get my answer.

I've helped many people with math. One of the things I've had to explain a lot is negative numbers. My most useful analogy seems to be to imagine a hole in the ground. Negative is in the hole, zero is the ground, positive is above ground.

Hi

Not sure what age I was, but having gone to a special school ie for learning difficulties, I experienced my first migrain in my first math lesson and so, I guess I had to have been 7. That started the ball rolling for me to panic each time a math class came around.

I just did not understand and never thought I could speak to the teacher and say it is hard for me and thus, just learned to count with my fingers, which, actually, I am quite adept at doing.

I suppose it was an exam or something and we were told that we must not use our fingers to do the math. I felt awful on hearing this and again, no idea that I probably could have got out of it, had I said the trouble I was going through.

Anyway, I put my hands below the table and "mind" calculated and was not far off with the results.

Of course, as a teen and upwards, math was just a complete nightmare to me and I would hyperventilate when mentioned.

But, today is different and you can go into youtube and will find all you need to know about math, in a probable exciting way.

Oh and just some potential positive news. Despite how bad I am, I have a natural talent with finances and can get around with a calculater. But naturally, could not earn, because of how bad my math is.

All great advice. I've always been good at math, so I don't quite know what makes it hard for other Aspies. I always thought that because math was all about rules that it would be easier? Pure logic.
With maths I found that I was great at geometry and trigonometry and could easily solve the problems, but at algebra I was hopeless. No matter how hard I tried to learn the rules, the answer came out wrong, and I couldn't see the reason... I think that this was exactly the problem, that I couldn't visualise it, it was mainly about manipulating abstract concepts in you mind and I just couldn't do it. I managed to scrape a B at O level though (because my higher ability in other areas compensated for my lack of algebra skills), against the expectations of my teacher.

I think that online sites like Khan Academy might help, YouTube tutorials and also perhaps a private tutor who understands your learning style and can tailor his/her teaching materials to your needs.

Though I really enjoy math and am now studying engineering I really struggled with math throughout grade school. Thankfully my parents sent me to a school designed for neurodiverse kids for the last two years of high school which is what really helped me gain confidence in my mathematical capabilities. I found math incredibly difficult until I had the capability of learning one on one with my teacher. Tutors have helped me in college but unfortunately I find that there tends to be a lot that gets lost in translation between a teacher and a tutor and it can be confusing if for example your tutor gives you one method of solving a problem but your teacher doesn’t understand it and docks points, or gives no points if the answer is wrong and he doesn’t understand the work. This is why I find it a lot easier if you can somehow get one on one help from your teacher. I would learn one on one with my math teachers after I switched schools in high school and it made all the difference for me.

Slightly off topic, but I just applied for a job as a math teacher. Expect me to come back and ask for all kinds of advice!!

New Threads

Top Bottom