• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Problems Discerning Platonic and Intimate Relationships

abinun1987

I've had three relationships in my lifetime. Somehow, despite never really having a friend beyond a casual acquaintance, I managed to have three relationships. Go figure. The problem for me is that my third relationship was a very close and intimate one. My first relationship lasted two weeks, my second was 3 months. My last relationship was 5 years. My ex and I spent every waking moment together and so we managed to form a very close bond. She was the one person whom I could safely say was a true friend to me (in my opinion). The problem, though, is that I'm aware that an intimate relationship is certainly not a good building block for platonic friendships.

In my experience, I have had far better luck communicating with girls than with guys. Every guy I've been around is always that stereotypical male in a way -- they adhere to societal gender standards and it's very hard for me to communicate to guys simply because I have no interest in anything guys traditionally like. It's been easier for me to talk to girls simply because girls talk about their feelings much more and so I can talk ad nauseum about my feelings to them. The problem is that since I have severely underdeveloped social skills, I have a hard time not getting swept off my feet or infatuated with a girl who gives me any modicum of attention. I know it's not right for me to attach myself so deeply to someone so frivolously, especially when that person likely doesn't feel the same way towards me and, more times than not, I'll find that I either don't live up to their standards of suitable partners or that they're already taken. In the case where a girl is already taken, I feel lost and don't know how to act platonically -- so, therefore, I end up shutting them out of my mind simply because they're unavailable. I feel horrible for thinking like this simply because I know I should be better than to attach myself to every girl that gives me attention.

For me, it's hard to maintain a platonic relationship with a girl because my mind always wanders and I end up fantasizing of what it'd be like if we were together. Or I end up thinking of how I'd like things to go or a possible future together. And I feel bad for it because I feel it's not fair to that person that I should immediately jump to these scenarios when I barely know them... and I feel pathetic for getting lovestruck just because someone gives me a healthy dose of attention.

And so, because of these faults in my character, I really don't know what's actual love and what's just good friendship. Of course, with my AS, I will talk about my emotions to just about anyone who'll listen, be it man or woman. But I've never met a guy who was willing to listen to me gripe about my problems, so my only references are women... and my mind always has an attraction toward them so I feel it's biased and therefore unable to process a platonic relationship without overstepping boundaries and becoming something more intimate. I'm always eager to please and to care for someone and so I don't know if I come off as supportive, overly affectionate or just outright creepy.

Right now, I've been single for about 6? months. I've tried real hard to avoid allowing my mind to wander toward romantic relationships with girls I know simply because I don't want my mind setting up unrealistic expectations. And I feel bad that my mind goes toward those places when these girls just exist... they aren't overly affectionate toward me and show no other signs outside of friendly discourse. I just wish I could differentiate between platonic and intimate relationships better and not overstep my boundaries and potentially destroy an otherwise good friendship because I'm too socially underdeveloped.

Last edited:
I completely get where you're coming from. I'm a girl and have the same problems around guys. I've never been in a proper relationship, but if a guy pays any kind of attention to me (could be just a 30 second conversation) and they seem like a nice person, my imagination goes crazy and some part of me gets convinced that something could come of it (it never does). I'm pretty good at rationalising myself out of that mindset but the emotional attachment remains - sometimes a few days, sometimes a few months.

When I was a kid I used to play with boys more than girls because 'girl play' didn't really interest me, but as I got older I guess I matured faster than my male friends and so found them boring to be around. There were a few years when I had practically no friends at school (I had one close girl friend at home, but she was a year younger, sadly), and then I managed to make friends with several girls at school (wonderful people that are still my best friends now). Growing up, I wasn't interested in the whole boyfriend thing because all the boys my age were either boring, annoying or, if they were nice and mature, they'd turn out to be gay. *sigh*

Now I'm at University, I've found that some of the boys have matured and are actually interesting people to be around, so part of me is interested in having a relationship. If I meet a nice guy (not that often) and we talk a bit and I get into my slightly obsessional mindset, I then tend to avoid them because I'm scared my feelings, however brief they may turn out to be, will be deafeningly obvious as I have no social skills in the arena of 'flirting,' and sometimes do it without realising - always awkward.

Recently, there's been one guy I've quite liked for a while (annoyingly, he's with someone already). We talk quite a bit, and we were lab partners for a while which was nice, but for several months I was worried that my feelings would be obvious and freak him out. I never thought I could have a platonic relationship with him, but as time's gone on my feelings have faded slightly and I'd say we're at the point now where we are friends (I've never been good at figuring out when someone moves from being an acquaintance to being a friend, so I may be wrong).

So basically, from that extensive, and probably unwarranted, story of my life, I'd suggest giving things time in order to achieve a platonic relationship with a girl - from my experience, those 'fantasising' thoughts generally go after a while as you learn more about a person. In my view, if you can build a strong friendship with someone (best-friends-for-life, I-would-happily-die-for-you, kind of thing), then that's pretty much the same as an intimate relationship, just without the sex and babies.

It might be worth googling what girls think is flirting, so you know where the boundaries are and can act accordingly. Hopefully there's something here that's been helpful. If not, I apologise for the essay. ;)

Yeah, I don't understand flirting. I just do whatever I do. I don't think of wooing someone or anything. If I'm doing something, it's out of the goodness of my heart. I guess I have this mentality that I want a large group of close friends and to form some sort of platonic family in a way... I always assume a sort of parental or guardian role. I don't know why... I guess it's just my lack of social interaction and the fact that the most experience I have is with cats. I always baby and pamper my cats (not to creepily insane levels) and I treat them like pets while still assuming a parental role. My cats listen to me and will always come to me demanding unconditional love. I would guess this is where I developed my nurturing characteristics from.

I mean, I know cats and people are two completely different things but it's hard for me to be able to care and not go overboard. When I care, I go out of my way to show it and I'm at beck and call, telling people that I'm always there to lend an ear and I'm always eager to help with every little thing. It's just the instant romantic yearning puts a damper on platonic ventures since it's hard for me to be caring in a sibling sense rather than an overbearing stalker.

And so, because of these faults in my character, I really don't know what's actual love and what's just good friendship. Of course, with my AS, I will talk about my emotions to just about anyone who'll listen, be it man or woman. But I've never met a guy who was willing to listen to me gripe about my problems, so my only references are women... and my mind always has an attraction toward them so I feel it's biased and therefore unable to process a platonic relationship without overstepping boundaries and becoming something more intimate. I'm always eager to please and to care for someone and so I don't know if I come off as supportive, overly affectionate or just outright creepy.

Right now, I've been single for about 6? months. I've tried real hard to avoid allowing my mind to wander toward romantic relationships with girls I know simply because I don't want my mind setting up unrealistic expectations. And I feel bad that my mind goes toward those places when these girls just exist... they aren't overly affectionate toward me and show no other signs outside of friendly discourse. I just wish I could differentiate between platonic and intimate relationships better and not overstep my boundaries and potentially destroy an otherwise good friendship because I'm too socially underdeveloped.

First of all, falling in L-something isn't really a character flaw.

Second, on this topic, I'm essentially an older you. I don't know if this gets better, because I don't know if it's gotten better due to my avoiding situations where it might come up. I've been single since 1999 and generally satisfied with the situation. Be prepared for this to continue.

My problem is that I think every relationship is platonic. I never know that someone has a special interest in me unless they come right out and say it, or make a move. This has gotten me into sticky situations in the past because when I was in a relationship, I didn't recognize what was inappropriate behavior (and therefore didn't stop said behavior) by someone who was not in the relationship. I still can't recognize it, so I just really don't have much conversation with any men other than my husband. That wasn't his choice, it was mine because I know I'm completely blind when it comes to flirting and move-making.

New Threads

Top Bottom