• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Private school: good or wrong choice?

Aneka

V.I.P Member
I will also talk about Rudolf Steiner and Waldorf education but that will take a little longer...

What I want to say is that I highy respect Maria Montessoris achievements as a woman in the 19th century and her unique view on children. She worked specifically with kids from poor neighbourhoods and special needs. You need to look up her biography!

Tatimax

This thread is my first post using this internet resource. My goal was to learn about schooling experience that people with autism have had and what lifelong outcome they have. Maybe I didn’t worded my question in best way possible to get answers. Anyway I appreciate all the comments from you! We might have different options but let’s respect each other and be kind. People like myself (a parent of child on spectrum) indeed need this type of resources to learn from you who has gone through many troubles related to ASD. Those of us who ask questions here are doing what ever possible to make the right decisions for kids with ASD because today’s decisions will impact his/her lifelong outcomes.
Please be kind to each other! I extremely value this forum.
Thank you

Orange Glasses

Tatimax -

I give you much credit in reaching out to get information and answers that will assist you and your son. Please do not let your first experience here dissuade you from continuing to ask questions and interact with many of the quality members that may be able to help you.

Your son is very blessed to have a loving mom like you.

Gerontius

V.I.P Member
Most of the more popular progressive education concepts are from the 19th century.

Before I move on to Waldorf you need to have a look a Rudolf Steiner and anthroposophy.
The article is English, I recommend to read it.

Attention, this will get dark. Rudolf Steiner was actually fascist.

This already gets interesting.
My introduction to Waldorf type education was from a friend who decided to educate herself in this way, considering she got an absolutely pisspoor education in the exact same religious home schooling program that I had to use. It's kind of wild & creepy the way the article implies Waldorf schooling was basically 1900s German Nationalism's form of religious homeschooling. Considering the modern willingness to bury all things Nazi with the dutiful enthusiasm of the Nurenberg hangman, I wonder why it is that the Waldorf method escaped with its image still intact as a Good Idea.

Looking up Rudolf Steiner on Wikipedia there are a number of strange things about his religious beliefs--he is one of the kingpins of an idea called anthroposophy which I'd never heard about and am glad I never met up with in a spelling contest. Even happier I never had to listen to anyone who actually believed the stuff. He built the racism right into the core of it.

Aneka

V.I.P Member
The oxymoron of our times. I don't get it either. Especially how many families who regard themselves as cosmopolitan and politically left choose Waldorf education.
Waldorf can not be cleansed of its origins.

I have practical experience with a Waldorf daycare.
So I'm trying to write a bit about what I've witnessed. They used only natural materials for furniture. Toys were also made from natural materials. They did gardening, cooking, handicrafts and needlework with the children, taught a lot of practical life skills. Children were allowed to use tools with teachers supervising. There were colour codes to symbolize the seasons when decorating indoors.
The teachers would often start to work on something like an art project and the children watched, joining in if they wanted.
So children were free to choose which activities they wanted to participate in.

The teachers were more narrow minded than in other daycare centres I've been to (I can only talk about that one Waldorf daycare though). Everything had to be done 100% exactly their way.
It was all about the rules- even among staff. Petty rules like what kind of meal you were allowed to bring to work. Towards parents, too.

At the time I had zero knowledge about Rudolf Steiner and anthroposophy. I learnt after an online article popped up in my news feed...
I didn't learn much about their teachings while I visited them.

There are great schools and daycare centres with diverse conceptions today.
I've worked in one that focused on ecological awareness and it was great. They took a little bit of everything.
We had a lot of projects about nature and environmental topics, hatched butterflies and built insect hotels, went to the stables of local farmers almost weekly, harvested potatoes and apples, made our own food.

New Threads

Top Bottom