• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Pre-Electronic Games

Kinda rambling through the replies . . .

Shadowrun was fun when the GM was really into describing a dark, goth, thechno-world. But when subsequent GMs provided only cursory descriptions and dice rolls, I lost interest.

Since then, I discovered Starfinder, another science-fantasy setting spanning an entire galaxy. It has many of the same elements that Shadowrun had, and added such features as undead fleets of starships looking for new 'recruits' to join their necrotic crews.

Link: Starfinder Roleplaying Game - Wikipedia

Its predecessor, Pathfinder, is similar to D&D, and has become more popular than D&D in recent years.

Card games? Tried M:TG, but it did not hold my interest. Regular Blackjack or five-card draw poker with nothing wild is about all the card games I'll play. My family used to take trips "up to the lake", where all us kids and our cousins would play Yahtzee and card games.

Traveller is still my favorite. Except for psionics and FTL travel (without FTL communications), Traveller tends toward the 'hard' end of the science-fiction spectrum -- there is no magic, although Clarke's Third Law prevails. (e.g., "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.")

So I'll repeat the question: How do you develop your characters' backstories?

Thank you for the replies! :)

Coincidentally, I was clearing out an old abandoned storage unit, and found a few milk-crates full of RPG materials, including 1st-edition Shadowrun books! Some are mildewed beyond recovery, but the rest are in usable condition, especially the core rulebook. Gonna sit down and see how well my memory jibes with the original FASA material.

Ah, now I remember the other thing about Shadowrun: Dice Pools. I never could get the hang of them.

Table-Top Role-Paying Game Questionnaire

According to Wikipedia, a Table-Top Role-Paying Game (TTRPG), also known as a pen-and-paper role-playing game, is a classification for a role-playing game in which the participants describe their characters' actions through speech. Participants determine the actions of their characters based on their characterization, and the actions succeed or fail according to a set formal system of rules and guidelines.

(In my opinion, this does not include card games like Magic: The Gathering.)

If you answer the questionnaire, please post comments as well; and if you post comments, please answer the questionnaire. Please keep your comments civil.

1. Do you play Table-Top Role-Playing Games (TTRPGs)?

2. What is your favorite genre (i.e., Fantasy, Horror, Sci-Fi, et cetera)?

3. Do you enjoy mixed genres (i.e., Sci-Fantasy, Horror-Western, et cetera)?

4. Which do you prefer: Psionics, Magic, neither, or both?

5. Which is your favorite TTRPG system?

6. Why is it your favorite TTRPG system?

7. What is your favorite role to play (i.e., Mage, Netrunner, Thief, et cetera)?

8. What is your favorite style of play (i.e., Combat, Storytelling, et cetera)?

9. Do you have a favorite set of dice that is yours and yours alone?

10. What colors are your favorite set of dice?

Thank you! :)

Here is my response to the questionnaire:

1. Do you play Table-Top Role-Playing Games (TTRPGs)? Yes.

2. What is your favorite genre (i.e., Fantasy, Horror, Sci-Fi, et cetera)? Science-Fiction, with very few "gimmicks" like faster-than-light travel.

3. Do you enjoy mixed genres (i.e., Sci-Fantasy, Horror-Western, et cetera)? Sometimes, but not always.

4. Which do you prefer: Psionics, Magic, neither, or both? Psionics, but only if it is well-integrated into a balanced game system

5. Which is your favorite TTRPG system? Traveller -- The "Classic" version sold in "Little Black Books".

6. Why is it your favorite TTRPG system? (1) Characters start out with a well-developed career behind them; (2) Success is based on rolling 2d6 for 8+; (3) Skill level adds a bonus to success rolls; (4) The rules treat males and females equally; (5) A well-developed in-game environment and history.

7. What is your favorite role to play (i.e., Mage, Netrunner, Thief, et cetera)? An ordinary, average person with ordinary, average skills confronted with extra-ordinary and beyond average situations.

8. What is your favorite style of play (i.e., Combat, Storytelling, et cetera)? A mixture of combat when combat is necessary, problem-solving when problems need to be solved, and story-telling when there is a lull in the action.

9. Do you have a favorite set of dice that is yours and yours alone? Yes.

10. What colors are your favorite set of dice? Black plastic with red pips.

I used to play games but I'm not familiar with "TTRPGs". I liked to play chess but it was rare to find people I could play against. Most people I knew didn't know how to play. So I lost interest in it.

"TTRPG" stands for "Table-Top Role-Playing Game", the most famous of which may likely be Dungeons & Dragons.

Wikipedia says . . .

". . . also known as a pen-and-paper role-playing game, is a classification for a role-playing game (RPG) in which the participants describe their characters' actions through speech. Participants determine the actions of their characters based on their characterization, and the actions succeed or fail according to a set formal system of rules and guidelines. Within the rules, players have the freedom to improvise; their choices shape the direction and outcome of the game. The terms pen-and-paper and tabletop are generally only used to distinguish this format of RPG from other formats, since neither pen and paper nor a table are strictly necessary."

c429b6bede90f3789f88c30b467d2a1d.jpg

Traveller is a TTRPG that bills itself as
"Science-Fiction Adventure In The Far Future"​

MAC: "How do you say, 'Nice Doggie' in Gvegh?"
JIM: "I wouldn't."

8487e775d908077ff0b3d085d92768db.jpg

A Vargr commando in full combat turn-out.​

I have always wanted to play TTRPGs but the people aspect got me. In my high school days none of my few friends were into those. So I found an alternative (before I had a pc or consoles) - does anyone remember the Fighting Fantasy books? They are somewhat like a TTRPG, played with dice but solo. So you read an entry, make a choice, turn to that section and so on. There are also other series like Fabled Lands and the old Choose Your Own Adventure books for younger readers with no dice. But TTRPGs I have always wanted to play are: Dungeons and Dragons, Cyberpunk, the old Warhammer TTRPG, Pathfinder, The One Ring, Shadowrun, Call of Cthulhu. And I also play board games solo. There are some great board games with RPG elements that are for 1+ players - and apologies to OP for going slightly off topic.

I remember the Fighting Fantasy books very well. Loved them when I was young, but the game play was quite limited.

The first one I ever got was this one from Ian Livingstone:

I also liked the Grailquest books:

Yes - agree gameplay was limited, but I was happy to take whatever I could get at the time. I am old so when I first came across them, electronic games were very limited. I think I was 12 or so nearly starting high school. My first one was book 1 The Warlock of Firetop Mountain and I still have the original edition, very well used by now. :smiley:

1. Do you play Table-Top Role-Playing Games (TTRPGs)?
Not any more.

2. What is your favorite genre (i.e., Fantasy, Horror, Sci-Fi, et cetera)?
Mystery (which could sorta fit into any genre I guess).

3. Do you enjoy mixed genres (i.e., Sci-Fantasy, Horror-Western, et cetera)?
Yes

4. Which do you prefer: Psionics, Magic, neither, or both?
Not sure

5. Which is your favorite TTRPG system?

I liked Call of Cthulhu. Perhaps it was the scenarios rather than the system... I liked the mystery-solving aspect of it, and the bizarre nature of the stories.

The setting for Shadowrun was great.

I think my favorite would be Call of Cthulhu-type shenanigans in a future techie world.

Honorable mention to the Alien RPG combat system. You're unlikely to get wounded, but when you did it was serious. You really had to think about what you were about to do rather than just jump in and run away if you started losing too many hit points.

6. Why is it your favorite TTRPG system?
See above.

7. What is your favorite role to play (i.e., Mage, Netrunner, Thief, et cetera)?
Thief. I like sneaking around.

8. What is your favorite style of play (i.e., Combat, Storytelling, et cetera)?
Storytelling. Mystery-solving.

9. Do you have a favorite set of dice that is yours and yours alone?
Nope.

10. What colors are your favorite set of dice?

World Development

Stories (and most RPGs) do not take place on a blank canvas. The setting is important, and may sometimes serve as a 'silent character'. For instance, Traveller takes place about 3600 years into the future, when travel between star systems is almost as commonplace as interstellar conflicts. Earth (called 'Terra' in-game) has been conquered by the Imperium and chafes under the benevolent but strict Imperial rule.

"Humans originating on Terra (or Earth), a world of this sector, have played a large part in interstellar history. At first, they were known as Terrans; when Terrans established themselves on thousands of other worlds far from Terra, another name, of unknown derivation, was applied to them: Solomani. The rest of the sector name comes from its position on the edge of the Imperium closest to the galactic rim. The Solomani Rim is a highly civilized area with a long history, and a population (human and non-human) of over 1.3 trillion individuals. Three major interstellar governments control parts of the sector. The greater portion is ruled by the Imperium, an immense empire extending across hundreds of parsecs and thousands of star systems. Within the Imperium is the Vegan Autonomous District, an area inhabited (under Imperial sovereignty) by a non-human race. The rest of the sector is ruled by the Solomani Confederati6n. an interstellar state hostile to the Imperium." -- Supplement 10, The Solomani Rim, (C) 18982, Game Designers Workshop, Page 4.

The game includes methods by which players and GMs may generate the setting for single worlds, star systems, subsectors, sectors, domains, empires . . . entire galaxies could be designed using their methods, although the effort might take a lifetime and leave no opportunity for gaming. The basic procedure for generating a single world is as follows (from Traveller Worlds and Adventures, (C) 1971, 1982, GDW, Page 12):

WORLD GENERATION CHECKLIST

1. Determine world occurrence (1D for 4,5,6 is standard).

2. Check system contents table (page 10) for details of world.
A. Find starport type.
B. Check for naval base.
C. Check for scout base.
D. Check for gas giant.

3. Name world.

4. Decide if travel zone coded.

5. Establish communications routes.

6. Generate universal planetary profile for world.
A. Note starport type.
B. Planetary size: 2D-2.
C. Planetary atmosphere: 2D-7 + size. If planetary size is 0, the atmosphere must be 0.
D. Planetary hydrographics: 2D-7 + size. If planetary size is 0, then hydrographics must be 0; if atmosphere is 0, 1, or A+, then apply a DM of -4.
E. Population: 2D-2.
F. Government: 2D-7 + population.
G. Law level: 2D-7 + government.
H. Technological Level: 1D + DMs from tech level table.

7. Note trade classifications (page 16) based on universal planetary profile.

8. Note statistics for reference.

Do you have a favorite method for world development? Does your favorite game have its own procedure? What are examples of some of the worlds you have developed?

Thank you.

Are you a passive or active gamer?

Passive: Plays only ready-made games, whether on-line or in-person.

Active: Not only plays, but designs games and scenarios, and possibly arbitrates them in-person.

I received a copy of Wyvern Publication's "Stargate SG1 Role-Playing Game" for Christmas.

A brief review follows the image.

iu

The book itself is about 370 pages long, and is packed with more than enough data to get referees and players started. The game itself is based on the popular movies and TV series', and sticks closely to their events and spirit.

The mechanics will be familiar to anyone who has played D&D 5e, Pathfinder, or Starfinder under the Open Gaming License. Stats are based on rolling 4d6 minus the lowest die (4d6-L), or can be 'bought' on a progressive scale. Leveling up is different, as it progresses normally for the first 5 levels, but then seems to get more feat-dependent afterwards.

In addition to the Tau'Ri and Jaffa, New player races/species are introduced:

1. Aturan: Disciple race of the Nox (who are not a player race). They are pacifists, and have many of the same abilities as their Nox benefactors.

2. Abydonian: A tough, resilient human race, largely immune to Gua'uld "magic".

3. Tolan: Technologically advanced. They make great engineers.

4. Tok'Ra: Symbiotically paired with Gua'uld-like primta. This gives them higher Intelligence or Wisdom than others. They can regenerate health faster than others.

5. Unas: Big, strong, primitive reptilian species that evolved on the same world as the Gua'uld parasites. Don't get them angry.

The setting is the Stargate universe at the end of the 6th season. Canonical history is valid up to that point.

Characters are sent out on missions from the Phoenix site, with General P.K. Loyer in command. Each mission is called an "Episode", and each episode is intended to focus on a different player character. This may seem odd to experienced players, who are used to a more free-for-all style of adventuring, but it does follow the basic format of each original Startgate episode -- one week Daniel Jackson is featured, the next week it's Teal'C.

The Home website offers a lot of ancillary materials for the game. Some referees may feel confident to "home-brew" their own episodes, but I recommend at least becoming familiar with the "official" format of each episode.

Overall, a good game.

The game is definitely playable, and recommended for 3-7 players. Personally, 5 players is my limit.

New Threads

Top Bottom