• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Playing Standard DVDs Through A 4K Disc Player

You could also rip your dvd's, upscale them and then store it on an external hard drive or nas. If your tv is 4k it most likely also supports samba or dlna.

A Voice Of Reason: Why Beyond 4K Is Useless

A relatively simple explanation of how such increases in resolution can only be proportional to an ever greater sized screen. Making any advances past 4K beyond the realm of consumer electronics because it's only of benefit for enormously sized television screens. Making it all just a bunch of BS to scam consumers and little else.

Well, today my tv shut down by itself again. The last time it did was 12 days later. This time was only seven days later. So my efforts so far in trying to stop the tv from shutting down haven't succeeded. At this point I figured the last thing to do was what I did some seven years ago to halt this problem. So I unhooked all the connections and power, and removed the rear panel to expose the guts of the tv. Took time to take a look at the tv's motherboard to conclude what I already expected. That none of the capacitors appeared damaged or compromised. And of course, before I did all this I hooked up an Ethernet connection to the TV just to see if a firmware update was available. However as expected with a nine-year old television, I'm sure the last update was years ago.

So, I simply repeated what I did seven years ago, and physically disconnected all "smart" features and network functions. Put it all back together and have been watching Star Trek on the Pluto Network through my Roku device. Everything seems to be running fine...but who knows? This time around it could be something different than when this problem originally occurred. So, all I can do is what I did before. Use the tv and wait hours or probably days to see if I finally fixed the problem.

What a pain in the ass. One thing for sure, I've read too many times how common this is with a variety of Samsung televisions, with a number of possible reasons for shutting on and off by itself. Despite a fabulous picture and sound, I cannot recommend this manufacturer to anyone. So if I have to buy another set, whether an older 1080 progressive or current 4K television, it won't be a Samsung. But I still would be thrilled if the set now works as it should, even without "smart" features that Roku handles better anyways.

We shall see....

Last edited:
Reminds me a bit of a friend's TV when I was a kid, except it was easier to fix back then. It had 1 valve with a shoddy connection. The TV shut down often enough that they only had 2 screws holding the back on.

We were around his place after school one day when it did it again. Allan took the back off the TV while it was still turned on, this was normal practice, and normal practice was to poke the shoddy valve with a wooden ruler several times until you saw it light up.

On this particular afternoon the wooden ruler was missing so he poked it with a lead pencil instead. The lead graphite in the pencil melted and shot out of the pencil and up his forearm. It left him with a scar that looks like a lightning strike.

Each time this glitch (suddenly turning on and off in a loop) would occur on my Samsung TV, I would attempt to fix the problem with a newfound solution. And each time they seemed to fail. The first time the glitch didn't happen again for another 18 days. The next in another 12 days. The next still in five days.

As of now, it has been six days without incident. I may have finally discovered a solution. That's the good news. The bad news? The possibility that it can involve three possible solutions:

1) Turning off AnyNet. While I already did that some time ago, I realized that there was another setting with AnyNet that involved "automatic turn-off". Something that I figured should have not functioned because the most basic setting was already turned off. But this other setting was still on. Makes little sense that it could work if AnyNet was supposed to be off, but who knows? I listed this first as I suspect it's the least likely solution.

2) Adjusting a crimp in the power cord. Right where the cord meets the plug. I straighten it out the best I could and then reinserted the plug, but this time rightside-up so there's no stress on the cord itself. Something I should have paid more attention to in the past. A crimped power cord might impact consistent power to the tv.

3) Lastly, and IMO the most plausible solution, that I opened up the tv's back panel and unplugged the internal connection for the "smart" functions and network access. The same thing I did some seven years ago when the exact same problem happened. Left it like this for another two years when I decided to reconnect it and then attempt to upgrade the firmware, which worked. Of course these days with the set being some nine years old, Samsung apparently no longer is providing any more updates for the software. Probably their way of telling me I'm supposed to just go out and buy a new tv, even though the picture and audio are excellent.

So far so good. If I don't need to replace this thing, then all my ramblings about DVDs on a 4K tv won't matter.

If I don't post here again, it's because the problem has been solved. Though I still cannot recommend a Samsung tv to anyone given their inability or unwillingness to fix the problem. Which long ago festered into a class action lawsuit against them. Baffling that they don't bother to fix such a problem that continues to plague so many of their tv sets.

New Threads

Top Bottom