• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Planned Obsolescence is Getting Annoying

Edit apparently theres a text limit

Um unlike all other phone companies, apple does have 1st party cases for sale day one for all their devices. They also send up shells to companies like otter box to have them ready. I got my defender case before my phone came. I use case cause I don't want to get any marks on my phones and so I can put it on my belt. Do any of the andriod companies even make cases? do they make cables? nope. Apple supports their products with loads of accessories. I'm trying to get a longer cord for my current tv so I can put it on wall, samsung doesn't sell them. theres no way to get a OEM power cable from them. xbox, playstion don't etheir. I feel really anxious plugging a console or tv in with some kinda sketchy 3rd party cable that is hopefully up to spec.,so I'm going figure out how to hang a power strip on wall closer to it. I don't get why companies besides apple don't sell parts for their stuff. I should't have to go to ebay to find a replacement part for a year old product. Not all cables are made the same. ps5 uses more power then tv. how could the same cable work for both? sounds like using a cheap extension cord for a power tool. no you need the thick gauge to handle the amps. Nintendo sells switch power cords, but they don't sell the usb cords. They make them. You need their cords to charge with due to their not using standard usbc specs, any other cord could fry your switch. they don't sell it though. That stuff bothers me. no laptop company besides apple sells their chargers. I bought a 3rd party one from amazon. It almost started a fire, they discontinued it and told me to destroy it. God forbid my $500 monitor's power cord dies I'll just have to throw it away.Blows my mind. Why do $500-5000 blueray players not include hdmi cables? LG gave me hdmi and display cable with my monitor. consoles include hdmi cables, but we expected to buy one for our new bluray player lol. at their numbers its probably few dollars a cable.

Er...

I'll be totally honest, you rather entirely missed what I meant by "an awful company". And yes, they outclass even Epic and EA in that regard. By far.

I want to make just one very specific thing clear: Never, EVER trust corporations... period. They are not your friend, they are not your pal. Not only do they NOT have your best interests in mind, but they'd feed you to the wolves if they thought that A: they'd profit from it, and B: they could get away with it. Apple, frankly, has done a bit worse than merely that, more than a few times. When I say a company is horrible... chances are, I'm NOT focusing *just* on the quality of their products. There's more to these corporations than just that. If Apple JUST made crappy products, that's not enough to get me to hate them (or even care about them). Heck, freaking Madcatz used to make AWFUL stuff... cheap worthless junk that NOBODY liked... but I've no animosity towards them.

That's not really relevant right now though.

Now, I'll reply to a few other things:

would you rather drive in a plastic are or a metal car?

Ah, but you're not considering the nature of those materials. Something about those phones and tablets to keep in mind: they are made mostly of metal and glass. Neither material really warps much, if at all. Upon receiving an impact, they cannot "rebound" as easily once bent to a certain point, and so, have a tendency to crack. Iphones are considered very fragile for a reason, and that is part of it. Plastic, however, is WAY harder to crack. It absolutely can warp enough upon impact that it will withstand the impact without snapping. Oh, sometimes it may get dented in the process, but... maybe not (frankly, it usually takes a REALLY heavy impact to put a noticable dent in proper hard plastic... a mere 3 foot fall aint gonna do it). I dropped a Gamecube down a flight of stairs, once (yes, really). It was undamaged; even the outer shell wasnt dented or anything. That should say something. Not to mention the outright ancient NES controllers I've owned for ages, that have been outright thrown at walls numerous times, yet still work perfectly. And those are inexpensive things, with a rather simple hard plastic shell (I swear, Nintendo products are indestructible). I *guarantee* you: an iPhone without a case, thrown at a wall, will not survive the impact... period.

There's more to it than that, of course. I could go into this long diatribe about the transference of momentum through mass and why more damage is done if the phone/tablet should impact on its edge rather than its flat side. But I think I've made my point.

Something simply being made of metal does not make it stronger. And even when good material is used, it doesnt matter if it isnt used RIGHT. Say what you want, but iPhones ARE considered to be very fragile devices.

Stuff that I own tends to take a beating... that's a fact. I dont do it on purpose... usually... but it tends to happen. So I know a lot about how/why stuff breaks when it does. Unfortunately I DONT know much about actually FIXING things, heh. But that's another topic.

So, when it comes to your question about the car, which one would I want? The answer: The one that isnt built by idiots. The right material for the job, and that material used PROPERLY, with consideration to all its properties and functions... that's what matters.

I'm glad apple has control over their app store. google play has a lot of virus apps people download not knowing. I won't get any apps not on apples store. no thanks. the things you hate about apple is why people buy apple. apple is protecting our privacy while google will happily sell all your information to facbook and china.

That's... not why people buy Apple products.

They buy Apple products because it's a big brand that produces simple devices that are easy to use. Keep in mind, their biggest product is their PHONES and TABLETS. Those things are meant for general consumers, not tech fiends, and they exist as convenience devices that are also capable of mild entertainment during boring moments. They are not meant to be used as a full desktop PC would. The apps are... a side thing, at best. Heck, there are users who dont even buy any apps. They want the phone function, texting, and maybe things like the mapping or organizing functions. Basic stuff that simply comes on the device. With the interface being what it is... THAT is why people buy Apple products. They're easy and convenient.

Buuuuuuut.... that's ALSO why people buy Android. You absolutely can apply that to both.

But also, they buy them because of the FOMO principle. Be serious now: People racing forward, getting into some loooooooooooong line for the chance at buying the newest phone model, despite that they still have last year's model? Do you REALLY think they NEED that? Particularly the more casual users? No, they dont. But they dont want to be the guy that doesnt have the toy that all the cool kids have. Even the more casual users who will not even truly notice or UNDERSTAND the differences will still shell out and buy one, because of the FOMO principle.

I'm not going to go into too much detail, because I'd have to practically hold a class/panel here, but manipulating consumers via FOMO is a BIG thing in marketing and brand design. Again, this is one of those topics I know a lot about (family works in sales, you see). Apple absolutely relies on this to get people to buy a new whatever when they dont ACTUALLY need one. Obviously, Apple is far from the only one to do this. It's a REALLY common practice. Really, really common. But I'm bringing it up merely to make a point: The iron grip over the App Store is not why people buy these products. It's actually usually touted as one of the biggest reasons why people SWITCH BRANDS away from Apple.

As for viruses: That's up to the user to defend against, really. It aint exactly hard to set up proper defenses against viruses. Hell, my own machine is a freaking fortress. This thing does not experience problems (and I mean that sincerely: it *does not experience problems*. And it's a Windows device. I've had it for over 2 years). Anyone using a computer-type device needs to LEARN TO USE IT. Flocking to an iron-grip store device just to avoid having to learn about virus protection is downright silly (and lazy).

And note, I say that as a gamer who has zero impulse control and I'm also in the rare position of having zero budget restriction. If I want something, I'll buy/download it. From Steam, or from...wherever. AKA, the direct opposite of how the App Store works, since I'm getting whatever from wherever, based on my own random whims. And I do it FREQUENTLY. Heck, I've got every arcade ROM ever made before 2008 (which adds up to about 10000 of them) on this machine. Those things, they come from rather shady sites.

But as I said: This machine does not experience problems. At all. Even despite me buying/downloading all sorts of things. Simply due to being protected properly, and due to my own experience in dealing with the internet and its threats. That's really all it takes, and is the proper approach. It's far better to learn to do these things, than to try to buy yourself the lazy way out, as that can seriously come back to bite you later (particularly in the workplace!).

what Laptop brands would you say are good? lenevo? I've had **** luck with Samsung, HP,Toshiba(darn HD drive never worked), Dell.

I'm not the one to ask. As I said, I've never seen a laptop (of ANY brand) that just plain works. If you want advice about laptop brands, best to ask elsewhere. These days I avoid the accursed things, as I got tired of always having to fix their problems (I cant fix hardware issues, but I CAN fix software issues, so if someone in the family is having some, well.... uuuugh. I doubt I need to explain... you probably know already).

they just canned stadia,

Which was hilarious. Oh yes, I followed THAT whole saga. What a wild ride. It ended just as everyone expected, really. I genuinely dont know why ANYONE actually bought into that ridiculous thing. Google is specifically known for killing off their projects, after all. And they definitely dont know the gaming industry.

That's a whole other topic though that isnt related to this one so I wont ramble too much about that. But it's a fun topic, at least.

Also I apologize if I managed to get a bit confusing here, or sounded at all muddled. Or if I missed something you said. My sinuses are driving me crazy, it's very hard to focus right now.

I don't think apple is a awful company. I think they are one of the best if not best company.

I guarantee if you take a samsung and throw it at a wall it'll break too. same goes for any phone. Aluminum bends, plastic breaks. you will never convince me that a plastic phone is better then a metal one. all the new phones are full glass front, they will all suffer the same issues. so unless you want to use a flip phone designed in the 90s...... controllers and gamecubes don't have screens. go throw a switch down some stairs and see what happens. it won't be good. also nintendo in past made their stuff for little kids so they tested them to be beat around, slamed, thrown. smart phones are for adults designed to be slim and sleek not to be played with as a toy. that said theres bunch of tests on youtube showing how far iphones or andriod phones can drop and be ok. iphones do really well. the glass used on them gets tougher with each phone. but again they aren't designed to be thrown non less at wall. people don't go around throwing their phones at walls, would would they or anyone build them to do that?

all smart phones are fragile, iphones are least fragile. you talk like someone pissed that a rock thrown at their house window breaks it. windows suck!!! people you should avoid buying windows!!! solid walls are way better.

I'll save you the time, theres a reason plastic cars don't exist. you'll want some steel and alum between you and the other cars. I'll take stronger aluminum iphone over plastic andriod any day. they aren't using the strong polymer magpul makes. they're using cheap plastic, then charging you thousands for it.

let me get this straight you the guy who refuses to buy apple is going tell me the guy who only buys apple why people buy apple? o_O we buy apple cause its a safe controlled ecosystem. they don't just let any app on their store. they don't let facebook watch what we do on other apps(google does, but then google is all about data collection so why wouldn't they share) techies are a niche market. which is what the mac pro is for. android phones well any product is going sell to the general masses, not the niche market. also apples main product is its subscriptions( they adapted to the future :() xbox is same too. they aren't a console brand anymore. I suspect samsung and google to follow suit. well google already has. everyone who wants a phone has one. the market is stalling and declining. so they make their money off app sales and subscriptions. more people in their ecosystem the more people buying their apps and subscriptions. It's a big reason why apple gives 7 years of support now, they didn't do it for us. they did it so the person with a iphone 6s keeps paying them money.apple makes a boat load of money from app store more then they make from phone sales.

as i'm told people buy android cause it's completely unlocked you can customize it 100% to however you like. that also means its super complex with lots of options i'd never use that would just confuse me. I just want stuff that works. I struggle with my pc. I still prefer console gaming. IT just works.

no one waits in line anymore. you preorder online or over phone and get put in que. its really quite simple. I assumed thats how andriods did it too. I wish consoles did it that way. scaplers wouldn't be a thing.
see you and youtubers/other techies don't get it. most people only buy a new phone every 2 years when their payment plan ends. more and more are doing 3-4 years. I've never meet a non youtuber who buys a new phone every year, those same people buy new car every year, new tv every year, new pc every year, new laptop every year,etc, etc,etc. again they are a minority. I hate the crap well its not much better then last years. well who cares I have a 10s max, the 12 pro max is quite better. my friend with a 6s the 12 max is alot better. But hey if I had loads of free cash from youtube I'd probably buy new stuff every year too.

you act like all the other companies don't operate on the exact same business plan as apple. I can't stand that. I'm so tired of people hating on apple when the real reason is they just can't afford it so they jealous. I was same way when I was young. I hated apple.
that iron grip is also touted as reason people switch to apple. most people like that apple is selective and protective over app store. nothings stopping anyone from going to android. apple isn't hold a gun to our heads.

If walmart sells me a microwave that explodes. thats on them not me. so no apps that install viruss and hack your device because google certified them to be on their store is their fault and google is liable. The averge person is going assume that apps on google play store should be safe not trojan horse.

My samsung laptop has 100% disk use. i've tried following peoples common issues and none are responsible. best guess people have is the HDD has failed. either way it takes 10 mins to boot, and can't do much of anything. I'ts not worth replacing hdd, buying windows 10, upgrading the ram. its battery has not been of any use after first year. when this macbook battery gets low, I'll pay apple $130 for a new one and get another few years from it. Samsung and others don't sell replacement batteris just as they don't sell the power cord. again why?? probably cause they just want you to buy a new laptop when battery dies.

I don't know about everyone. people on reddit stadia are still defending it saying it's fine. doesn't mean googles going kill it. stadia's only going to get better they say. I got it cause google gave it to me for free, they really struggle to sell products. they give away stadia, crhome casts, their smart speakers. I'ts rather sad. Stadia on my 600mps and unlimited internet works quite well, I was pleasantly surprised. It works lot better than amazon luna, though I used it wireless as they don't offer a wired option)
Google doesn't seem to know any industry. now they have apple and amazon(i think) building search engines. both are known to spending lots of money and effort on stuff they do. Apple spent way too much time trying to get that power mat to work.

Hope you feel better, Sorry If I seem agressive on this. I'm just tired of everywhere I go seeing people hate on apple and its customers. Apple is top dog and so attacked for it cause it'll get people more views.
People say im stupid and R word for buying apple. Apple has alot of phone and tablet market share for reason. I think they'd sell more computers if they used windows. that said they are the most selling non windows computers.
I get to use both. Just as I have all 3 consoles, and I don't like people fighting over which is best and why the other people suck. since I moved to apple stuff I've not had any issues for over 10 years. I'm quite worried that in year my $2000 pc will be a slug and need everything replaced just as all my laptops did. my ps4 still works fine after 8 years. My iphone 6 still works(i replaced its battery so its like new)I can honestly say I could probably use the 6 if I had to. I do enjoy keeping them, much to my sisters angst.

Note: This was copy and pasted from a rant I did on Discord (with stuff added to it), so ignore any weird formatting.

I hate this fact, but many computer manufacturers design their products to die within a certain time frame. And that time frame is getting shorter. ESPECIALLY APPLE FOR SOME REASON!!! Seriously. It isn't hard to tell that, despite being made of inexpensive material, that apple products are overpriced considering their build quality (which is getting lower).
One of Apple's more recent Macbook models didn't even have the CPU heat sink attached to the fan in any way, leaving the CPU to roast itself to death. That should be illegal. Having a proper cooling system in any computer should be a legal requirement for any manufacturer to follow. Because without a proper cooling system, the CPU is just left to die from overheating. Plus apple is unnecessarily picky about which repair shops get their schematics and who gets their parts (which might be fixed soon by Right-to-Repair laws), leaving many repair shops that aren't Apple's own repair shops to refuse customers who bring in any kind of Apple product, making most repair shops to exclusively repair Linux and Windows devices.

I keep on hearing things from older people saying that old mobile phones like the Nokia can take, like thousands of hits before any considerable damage occurs, and how newer phones are incredibly squishy. Drop an old Nokia brick from, like, 50 feet, and it survives just fine with maybe only a few scuff marks. Drop an iPhone without a case from the same height, it shatters and dies. The old Nokias have been known to being burnt so much that they actually appear crispy and brown and still manage to work perfectly fine. I think I would have to shoot a Nokia with a tank cannon in order to completely break it in the quickest way possible.

My DS Lite was also pretty tanky. Even what was considered the weakest point (the hinge) was ultra durable. Now I am scared of ever dropping my New Nintendo 3DS that I keep it home most of the time unless I know I am going to be in the car/in a waiting room for a while. My DS Lite worked even when the hinges didn't lock properly and was all floppy. For the New Nintendo 3DS, that would mean the top screen, or even the entire system, will not work. The original Gameboy was known for working on the summit of the tallest mountains, despite extreme cold, and it survived way longer than the other electronic equipment that was taken up. And the OG Gameboy also survived being burnt till crispy. There was even a case where a Gameboy survived a nuclear blast, as well.

And now manufacturers are starting to future-proof their devices left, which, over time, a user might face more and more incompatibility issues due to their device not being supported by software updates anymore, which also leaves them vulnerable to cyber attacks.

I feel like their should be laws for durability and longevity standards when it comes to computers and other similar devices. The reason why these devices are getting less durable and dying quicker is because their manufacturers are designing the devices to do so in order to make more and more money. However, that will negatively impact most consumers, so I am pretty sure laws, or at least an industry-run board, should be used to prevent that in order for it not to get so out of control.
I have a MacBook Pro which of the Apple models does not have a heat sink?
Big business has always found a way of making profits and it is getting worse.
Big business and the people Who make the law a part of the deep state and deep state do not care about people it is sad.

I share your rant, Joshua. You do not have an idle or frivolous rant! I am am a retired career electronics design engineer that has been around long enough to see the introduction of planned obsolescence and its proliferation. I mostly design electronics for commercial equipment used in factories, medical, aviation, etc. Equipment that one would expect long-life and low maintenance to be highly desired..

On one occasion I had an argument with a client regarding the reliability of a power supply. The client changed some of the components from my design. I explained that I could not agree with the changes because it would be unreliable with a short lifespan. I thought the customer made the changes due to component costs, but he pointed out that the unreliability and short lifespan was the desire. I was flabbergasted. This is a big expensive commercial machine. It is not a throw-away personal item. The customer went on to explain that they also sell service on the machines and since it is not a throw-away, there will be lots of money to make on service.

I was in a foul mood the rest of the day (actually longer). I take pride in my design work. I want my designs to work flawlessly and for a very long time - not just years, but decades. While the customer may be happy, I felt violated.

The last few years, before my retirement, was very stressful as planned obsolescence became rampant. Engineering just wasn't fun anymore.

I am proud to say, however that there were a few clients that still want sound, long-life designs. I am still friends with some of those clients. Sorry, none of them make computers!
That’s it they make the electronics with a short lifespan and then a charge for service once the item is out of warranty.

Yes I ve noticed this effect in many items. I have broken my current phone screen 3 ti mes, despite never having broken one before. Yes I have always dropped them, but they were stronger.

I remember in my childhood, so, 1960s , we had a blue cylinder vacuum cleaner. And we still had it in the 70s. My mum still had it after my parents divorced in the 80s.

And the second hand tumble dryer she bought while still with my dad, only got replaced a couple of years ago!

My sister gave me a microwave when she replaced it with a newer one, and it was previously owned in the late 80s I think by her mother in law. I used it up til a couple of years ago. All well functioning items. Same with gas central heating boilers. They didn't only last a few years. It's a crime against the environment too, this throwaway culture.
I’ve had my boiler six years now and it has just come out of warranty thankfully it still works.

I'm just grateful to have lived in an earlier era where they once actually made things to last at a reasonable price. Before the 80s when bean counters discovered downsizing to be profitable even if a company was in doing well at the time.

Now it's all about greed and "repeat customers". Getting them any way as fast as you can. :rolleyes:

Interviewer: So, did you ever consider going back to your old line of work?

Printer Ink Tycoon: Nope. I used to sell dope in South Central. This is safer and even more profitable.

Interviewer: No kidding!

Sonny Corleone: "There's a lot of money in that printer ink, Pop." :eek:
There seems to be an “anti-customer“ thing going on. I remember working in the civil service years ago and the customer came first. We went on customer service courses And were always encouraged to deal with customers as quickly and efficiently as possible.
Letters were given priority And we used to send acknowledgement slips to the customers to say we have received the letter.
Now with you ring the very civil service departments, You are kept on hold on the phone. When I worked for then the phone was answered as quickly as possible and we had to put the call through to the right department as soon as possible.

I am pretty sure lawmakers need to think of consumers rather than billionaires. At least some sort of independent industry board will do. You know, ones that rate devices and puts labels on the boxes of devices.
The trouble is that the deep state is in charge of both lawmakers and the billionaires.

macbook air doesn't have a fan. It does have a heat sink but just transfers heat to the shell and then air cooled. My macbook pro has a fan but it has never come on and probably never will. people have pointed out the air will last longer since the pro will get dust inside, where as the air is sealed.

seems they working on a dedicated graphics card too. All I know is so far other then the swap issue, this macbook is super fast and great. It's way more powerful than I need.
Knowing Apple, their GPU will be slower and more fragile than basically anything on the market that is currently being made by AMD and nVidia.

Er...

I'll be totally honest, you rather entirely missed what I meant by "an awful company". And yes, they outclass even Epic and EA in that regard. By far.

I want to make just one very specific thing clear: Never, EVER trust corporations... period. They are not your friend, they are not your pal. Not only do they NOT have your best interests in mind, but they'd feed you to the wolves if they thought that A: they'd profit from it, and B: they could get away with it. Apple, frankly, has done a bit worse than merely that, more than a few times. When I say a company is horrible... chances are, I'm NOT focusing *just* on the quality of their products. There's more to these corporations than just that. If Apple JUST made crappy products, that's not enough to get me to hate them (or even care about them). Heck, freaking Madcatz used to make AWFUL stuff... cheap worthless junk that NOBODY liked... but I've no animosity towards them.

That's not really relevant right now though.

Now, I'll reply to a few other things:

Ah, but you're not considering the nature of those materials. Something about those phones and tablets to keep in mind: they are made mostly of metal and glass. Neither material really warps much, if at all. Upon receiving an impact, they cannot "rebound" as easily once bent to a certain point, and so, have a tendency to crack. Iphones are considered very fragile for a reason, and that is part of it. Plastic, however, is WAY harder to crack. It absolutely can warp enough upon impact that it will withstand the impact without snapping. Oh, sometimes it may get dented in the process, but... maybe not (frankly, it usually takes a REALLY heavy impact to put a noticable dent in proper hard plastic... a mere 3 foot fall aint gonna do it). I dropped a Gamecube down a flight of stairs, once (yes, really). It was undamaged; even the outer shell wasnt dented or anything. That should say something. Not to mention the outright ancient NES controllers I've owned for ages, that have been outright thrown at walls numerous times, yet still work perfectly. And those are inexpensive things, with a rather simple hard plastic shell (I swear, Nintendo products are indestructible). I *guarantee* you: an iPhone without a case, thrown at a wall, will not survive the impact... period.

There's more to it than that, of course. I could go into this long diatribe about the transference of momentum through mass and why more damage is done if the phone/tablet should impact on its edge rather than its flat side. But I think I've made my point.

Something simply being made of metal does not make it stronger. And even when good material is used, it doesnt matter if it isnt used RIGHT. Say what you want, but iPhones ARE considered to be very fragile devices.

Stuff that I own tends to take a beating... that's a fact. I dont do it on purpose... usually... but it tends to happen. So I know a lot about how/why stuff breaks when it does. Unfortunately I DONT know much about actually FIXING things, heh. But that's another topic.

So, when it comes to your question about the car, which one would I want? The answer: The one that isnt built by idiots. The right material for the job, and that material used PROPERLY, with consideration to all its properties and functions... that's what matters.

That's... not why people buy Apple products.

They buy Apple products because it's a big brand that produces simple devices that are easy to use. Keep in mind, their biggest product is their PHONES and TABLETS. Those things are meant for general consumers, not tech fiends, and they exist as convenience devices that are also capable of mild entertainment during boring moments. They are not meant to be used as a full desktop PC would. The apps are... a side thing, at best. Heck, there are users who dont even buy any apps. They want the phone function, texting, and maybe things like the mapping or organizing functions. Basic stuff that simply comes on the device. With the interface being what it is... THAT is why people buy Apple products. They're easy and convenient.

Buuuuuuut.... that's ALSO why people buy Android. You absolutely can apply that to both.

But also, they buy them because of the FOMO principle. Be serious now: People racing forward, getting into some loooooooooooong line for the chance at buying the newest phone model, despite that they still have last year's model? Do you REALLY think they NEED that? Particularly the more casual users? No, they dont. But they dont want to be the guy that doesnt have the toy that all the cool kids have. Even the more casual users who will not even truly notice or UNDERSTAND the differences will still shell out and buy one, because of the FOMO principle.

I'm not going to go into too much detail, because I'd have to practically hold a class/panel here, but manipulating consumers via FOMO is a BIG thing in marketing and brand design. Again, this is one of those topics I know a lot about (family works in sales, you see). Apple absolutely relies on this to get people to buy a new whatever when they dont ACTUALLY need one. Obviously, Apple is far from the only one to do this. It's a REALLY common practice. Really, really common. But I'm bringing it up merely to make a point: The iron grip over the App Store is not why people buy these products. It's actually usually touted as one of the biggest reasons why people SWITCH BRANDS away from Apple.

As for viruses: That's up to the user to defend against, really. It aint exactly hard to set up proper defenses against viruses. Hell, my own machine is a freaking fortress. This thing does not experience problems (and I mean that sincerely: it *does not experience problems*. And it's a Windows device. I've had it for over 2 years). Anyone using a computer-type device needs to LEARN TO USE IT. Flocking to an iron-grip store device just to avoid having to learn about virus protection is downright silly (and lazy).

And note, I say that as a gamer who has zero impulse control and I'm also in the rare position of having zero budget restriction. If I want something, I'll buy/download it. From Steam, or from...wherever. AKA, the direct opposite of how the App Store works, since I'm getting whatever from wherever, based on my own random whims. And I do it FREQUENTLY. Heck, I've got every arcade ROM ever made before 2008 (which adds up to about 10000 of them) on this machine. Those things, they come from rather shady sites.

But as I said: This machine does not experience problems. At all. Even despite me buying/downloading all sorts of things. Simply due to being protected properly, and due to my own experience in dealing with the internet and its threats. That's really all it takes, and is the proper approach. It's far better to learn to do these things, than to try to buy yourself the lazy way out, as that can seriously come back to bite you later (particularly in the workplace!).

I'm not the one to ask. As I said, I've never seen a laptop (of ANY brand) that just plain works. If you want advice about laptop brands, best to ask elsewhere. These days I avoid the accursed things, as I got tired of always having to fix their problems (I cant fix hardware issues, but I CAN fix software issues, so if someone in the family is having some, well.... uuuugh. I doubt I need to explain... you probably know already).

Which was hilarious. Oh yes, I followed THAT whole saga. What a wild ride. It ended just as everyone expected, really. I genuinely dont know why ANYONE actually bought into that ridiculous thing. Google is specifically known for killing off their projects, after all. And they definitely dont know the gaming industry.

That's a whole other topic though that isnt related to this one so I wont ramble too much about that. But it's a fun topic, at least.

Also I apologize if I managed to get a bit confusing here, or sounded at all muddled. Or if I missed something you said. My sinuses are driving me crazy, it's very hard to focus right now.
I agree. It makes more sense to release a new cellphone every 4 years, rather than every year. It's like they're treating phones as Call of Duty games. Releasing a device every 4 years would not be more profitable to the company because it costs less, but it is also beneficial to the consumers because they know that they aren't wasting money replacing their phone every single year when they might still have a plan for their current one. Hell, Apple could send out software updates to keep the device secure between device release. But, no, they don't. They are greedy and, despite what their fanboys might say, they don't care about their customers.

I also remember that one time Apple threatened to make people pay for OS updates, and they ended up getting bullied by the entire tech community about it so they ended up not doing that.

I have a MacBook Pro which of the Apple models does not have a heat sink?
Big business has always found a way of making profits and it is getting worse.
Big business and the people Who make the law a part of the deep state and deep state do not care about people it is sad.
It does have a heat sink. The CPU heat sink is just not connected to the fan in any way, shape or form.

macbook air doesn't have a fan. It does have a heat sink but just transfers heat to the shell and then air cooled. My macbook pro has a fan but it has never come on and probably never will. people have pointed out the air will last longer since the pro will get dust inside, where as the air is sealed.
I never put my MacBook Pro on my lap I bought a special computer tray which the computer sits on when I use it.

There is SUPPOSED to be an opening for the fan. Otherwise, air will not be able to escape properly.

Also, the fact that Apple products have metal cases just drives up the cost and weight uselessly. Plastic is not only cheaper (even high-quality plastics), but it tends to absorb shocks better than metal because of its flexibility, and it is lighter than metal. That is why Nintendo still makes their stuff out of plastic: It is durable while still being rather lightweight. With the exception of the joycons, Nintendo products last quite a while.

My iPod Shuffle (I think it was the 5th gen one) just died recently. Like, I can no longer charge it.

let me get this straight you the guy who refuses to buy apple is going tell me the guy who only buys apple why people buy apple?

No: The guy who pays attention to market trends and understands consumer psychology, advertising, and manipulation of consumers by corporations, as well as corporate trickery and backstabbing, is going to tell you why people buy apple products. I'm also the one who has family that works IN sales, and has been listening to related stuff for like the past 25 years, and boy have I learned a LOT. I'm also in the rare position of being immune to advertising tricks myself, making it VERY easy to see how ad campaigns AND product design go together. That is where that is coming from.

Understand: Just because YOU personally buy a given thing for a given reason doesnt mean that's why it's popular. It merely means that's why YOU bought it.

Also: just because I wont buy any further Apple products doesnt mean I wont pay ATTENTION to them. I still watch what is being bought, WHY it is being bought, and so on. Please dont make silly assumptions. Just like how I dont need to buy games from EA, Activision, or any of them, to know that they are godawful companies. But, of course, they arent as bad as Apple. Well... Activision, MAYBE.

Look, here's the thing: There's other stuff I could reply very specifically to, in terms of what you've said. But there's something else I want to focus on here, because I do think this is important.

If you're wondering why I'm going on about all of this, it's because I've seen this before. You've fallen into the brand loyalty trap, and you've fallen hard. You have this bizarre affection for this giant, faceless, frozen-hearted entity that couldnt care less about you. It's a one-sided relationship, but like everyone that falls into the brand loyalty trap, you are at this point unable to see that.

Rather than me rambling about it, there's something I'd like to show you, and frankly this is something I wish everyone would watch:

This video is about the odd relationship between corporations, and consumers, particularly of the sort that you appear to have formed. Blizzard is merely used as an example here... really any major company that has "fans" of any sort could fit in here. Obviously the one I'm sticking in there is Apple, but it could also be Nintendo, or Sony, or Bethesda, or whoever. Listen to what the guy says, and think carefully about it. Think CAREFULLY about it. And compare it to your relationship with Apple.

I'm showing this video to illustrate a point. You've formed a completely ONE SIDED relationship with a corporate entity. A corporate entity whos one and only reason for even existing is to make money for its shareholders. It has NO OTHER FUNCTION... that's what a corporation is! Much like what the guy in the video says though, people get attached to that corporation anyway. They form a one-sided relationship with it... JUST like the corporation wants them to. Part of Apple's marketing strategy... and the reason I mentioned FOMO... is all about this, and it has been for a very long time.

Like the video says, they are not your friend, they are not your pal, they are not your buddy. "They" are a corporation. A machine that exists to make money. There might be some nice people that work FOR Apple, but that doesnt make Apple a nice company (and believe me, the guys at the top of the pyramid are DEFINITELY not nice). One way or another... Apple is not your buddy because it is not even a person. It cant form relationships, and it doesnt like you, because it doesnt care about you. It CANT care about you! It's not a person! But it CAN abuse the fact that YOU care about IT.... and it DOES, because that creates profit.

Do you see what I'm getting at here? When people insult you for being an Apple fan, or for being part of the "cult of Apple" (I'm going to take a guess and say you've heard that one before), that's what they're getting at. You've formed this relationship that has NO PURPOSE other than filtering more money into this gaping metal jaw of a thing that absolutely doesnt even know (or care) that you exist. It's like getting attached to a freaking vacuum cleaner! It's a MACHINE! A machine made of workers, but a machine nonetheless. You argue in its defense, but if YOU were in trouble, would it defend you? Of course not! Because IT IS NOT YOUR FRIEND. It is a company... it is a machine. It DOES NOT CARE.

Look, I've been a video gamer since I was a kid. Nintendo was like, my whole EVERYTHING. I had the NES way back then, I have the Switch now. Even though I'm a PC gamer, I still have Nintendo stuff. By your logic, I should LOVE them as a company.... right? But no, I dont. Nintendo makes some stuff I like, but that doesnt automatically make them a good company. I'm mature enough to recognize that now. I see that while they can make some neat products, they sure do have their freaking problems, oh yes they do. They can be a real snot of a company sometimes. My enjoyment of the Switch, or my age-old love of the NES, doesnt mean I *must* create a one-sided relationship with them... so I havent. And believe me: it is healthier that way.

It's not wrong to enjoy a particular product. But it's incredibly silly to form that one-sided, brand loyalty relationship with them because of it, and it's equally silly to assume that they must be somehow "good" because they created something you personally like. That's what I'm getting at. That's what I'm ALWAYS getting at. The sort of things you've said, the attitude you've shown? I've seen it all before, over and over and over and over again. I've run into a LOT of people/groups who are all afflicted with brand loyalty, and it always, ALWAYS works the same. And it's not one bit healthy... for you OR your wallet.

I'm not bringing all this up to create this long continued arguement. I'm bringing it all up in the hope that it gets you to THINK a bit about all of this. And maybe it gets others to think about it too.

Just... just ponder it for awhile. This isnt brought up so that you can argue with me about it. This is just for you to THINK about, as I said.

Knowing Apple, their GPU will be slower and more fragile than basically anything on the market that is currently being made by AMD and nVidia.
Insert Eye roll. I wonder what people would do if they didn't have apple to complain about.

Also, the fact that Apple products have metal cases just drives up the cost and weight uselessly. Plastic is not only cheaper (even high-quality plastics), but it tends to absorb shocks better than metal because of its flexibility, and it is lighter than metal. That is why Nintendo still makes their stuff out of plastic: It is durable while still being rather lightweight. With the exception of the joycons, Nintendo products last quite a while.

My iPod Shuffle (I think it was the 5th gen one) just died recently. Like, I can no longer charge it.
Aluminum doesn't weigh much more then plastic others use. the iphone isnt' heavier then samsungs phones.
the rumored switch pro is suppose to be metal. plastics just aren't considered to be premium products. if the current switch was metal i't wouldn't be melting lol. people with original switchs had top of their switch melt. it also wouldn't warp from being too hot in the dock.

you can probably replace the shuffles battery and it'll work again. want to replace a samsung phjones battery? no luck. samsung doesn't do that.

Insert Eye roll. I wonder what people would do if they didn't have apple to complain about.

I know this isnt a reply specifically to me,

but imagine me replying specifically to this anyway by dramatically bowing and waving at the video I posted earlier.

People who are ready to complain about a company are those who havent been sucked in by the brand loyalty trap I mentioned. And these companies get so many complaints for very good reason.

Just being dead serious for a moment: You REALLY need to think about this stuff, all this about brand loyalty and the psychological aspect. I'm not trying to be mean. I'm saying this because I've seen the end result of what this crap can do to someone. Believe me, it aint pretty. It can lead to massive wastes of funds, ruined friendships and relationships (yes, that really does happen), people immediately getting a bad impression of you due to your attitude, and all sorts of other things.

All for the sake of a company that genuinely sees you as nothing more than a statistic to profit from. Just like every other corporate giant.

Does that sound healthy to you?

Just... seriously. THINK about it. Use your head... independent thoughts.

New Threads

Top Bottom