• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Pipe Dreams

20230430_100629.jpg

The Tennessee spot is atop a knob just North of the Cherokee National Forest. There was going to be a house here, but the plans fell through after three basement walls were built

the Murray is a very big and placid river, on the surface at least, and unlike the tropics there's nothing in it that's going to try and eat you.

I'm sure there's something that will try to eat you. ;) Something is lurking on the bottom of that river and it's probably venomous, it's Australia. :laughing:

If you could find the land you could drop a secondhand, side-opening shipping container on it. Finding the land is the problem. Australia has a lot of it, but nobody seems to want to sell it cheap. Maybe you could find someone who would lease some to you.
Very interesting to see low-cost housing done so effectively (and creatively) through the use and modification of shipping containers. :cool:

I have a local (1.5 hour drive) and a Tennessee foothill getaway. I don't actually own the Tennessee place, but I have been told it's mine to use anytime. This is the local place. 9 miles of 4wd trail to reach it.
That looks idyllic to me. I'd like a few more creature comforts than that though and not so tough a road to get there. So I'd need a proper lockable structure to keep anything in.

A lot of people start off with a shipping container as a shed but they're not the best. They heat up like ovens here and they're not structurally all that strong so as soon as you start knocking holes in them for vents and widows you have to start adding framework. You're better off with a proper shed with a peaked roof.

Something is lurking on the bottom of that river and it's probably venomous, it's Australia. :laughing:
Not on the bottom, on the top. Snakes swim, you see them often enough. The trouble is that it's a wide river and the snakes get tired, if there's something floating in the middle of the river that they can have a rest on....

They're not actually being aggressive, but no, I don't let them near me.

Not on the bottom, on the top. Snakes swim, you see them often enough. The trouble is that it's a wide river and the snakes get tired, if there's something floating in the middle of the river that they can have a rest on....

They're not actually being aggressive, but no, I don't let them near me.

I'm sure there are bottom-snakes there too. Huge bottom-dwellers just waiting for human flesh. It's Australia. ;) :laughing:

I'm sure there are bottom-snakes there too. Huge bottom-dwellers just waiting for human flesh. It's Australia. ;) :laughing:
If you sit still in the water for a while little shrimp start crawling on you and cleaning you. They tickle.

In the northern USA, it is little bitty fishes that nibble at your legs in quiet water. They are so gentle I call them little kisses.

In the Congaree swamp in one of the Carolinas there are cottonmouths dripping from every branch and coiled around every tree branch in the river. Once I stopped paddling just to enjoy the quiet and the view and drifted to within a few feet of a big cottonmouth, with his mouth open wide (like a hippo). I got a very good look at why they are called cottonmouths. They are also called water moccasins, but cottonmouth is more descriptive.

Very interesting to see low-cost housing done so effectively (and creatively) through the use and modification of shipping containers. :cool:
You might be interested in this. There are some Youtube videos of people who bought these homes off Amazon.

so if what you own isn't worth much then the rates are going to be quite reasonable.
At least in California, there is no land that isn't worth much.

Almost 50 years ago, I did a photo essay for a magazine about old barns in Michigan. It turned out that family farms were disappearing left and right because of property taxes. Property once appraised as farmland was appraised at very high values because a developer wanted it to build a project. You're not taxed at what it is being used for but what it might be used for. If you aren't farming the land, it is even worse. You are taxed as a recreational property, and only wealthy people own recreational property.

Today I have dreamt of replacing all the old water pipes in my basement. That would be so nice, to just get that done. Pipe dreams.

Today I have dreamt of replacing all the old water pipes in my basement. That would be so nice, to just get that done. Pipe dreams.
I've been dreaming of buying a new pipe, the old one's almost worn out. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom