• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Pick a number

Pick a random number

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 5.6%

Votes: 4 22.2%

Votes: 2 11.1%

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I used a random number generator,
looked away while I clicked an uncounted number of times,
then stopped and used the number that appeared the last
time I clicked.

I can't take credit for making the number 4.

The digits 0 through 9 were developed long before I was born.

I didn’t do it correctly, I chose a number I liked and didn’t choose a number at random.
Not sure if I’m a failure or a rebel....lol

This is not possible, as there are
no random numbers in this list.
It is a list of sequential whole numbers
in ascending order.

K. None of the above

;)

Last edited:
upload_2018-11-20_7-32-15.png

SOLUTION: if ten digits 0 to 9 are arranged randomly with no repetition of digits how many different arrangements are possible?

Generally, if you ask someone to pick a random number from 1 to 4, they will pick 3. It's so reliable that I've seen it on a business-card-sized prank. The front says "Pick a number from 1 to 4, then turn the card over." The back says, "Perverts always pick 3."

If you ask someone to pick a number from 1 to 10, 1 to 100, etc. they usually pick a number in the 2/3 to 3/4 range. 6 or 7 for 1 to 10. 67 to 75 for 1 to 100. I told my wife that and she used it for a while to regularly win stuff at baby showers ("Okay ladies, this next prize goes to whoever guesses the number I'm thinking of!").

I also used this to my advantage in games. Playing Settlers of Catan with my dad, brother, and cousin, my cousin got to draw a card from my hand. I put my least wanted card in the 4th position and whispered to my dad that my cousin would pick that card. He did, and I laughed. I explained that people always choose in that range, so I knew it would be the 4th card. The next time he drew from my hand, I said out loud that I could predict the card he would draw, and under the table, where only my dad could see, I pointed to the first card. My cousin picked the first card. I laughed again and explained that I knew he wouldn't pick the 2nd or 4th after last time, and that the middle never "feels" random so no one ever picks it, I guessed he would pick the 1st card. I deliberately said that bit about the middle card to set him up to pick it the next time. He didn't get a third pick in that game, so after the game ended, I challenged him to pick a card once more and I would predict it. Yep, he picked the middle card because I said no one ever picks it.

I knew this when I saw this survey, so I deliberately didn't pick 3, 4, 6, or 7 - I, being oh-so-clever, picked 5. So, naturally, I was disappointed when I saw how many others picked 5. Even when we think we're being random, we're very predictable. :rolleyes:

"0 (zero) is both a number and the numerical digit used to represent that number in numerals. The number 0 fulfills a central role in mathematics as the additive identity of the integers, real numbers, and many other algebraic structures."

0 - Wikipedia

I like: "The Arabs invented zero, but they've done nothing with it since then."

Careful who you tell this to, though. I said it to a Persian once and he didn't get the joke, so all I got was an angry scowl.

Congratulations people, here are some things:

Nobody picked 0, 1, 2 for some reason
2 was picked by me so I won't count that.

No even number was picked more then once

7 was chosen 39% of the time
3 was chosen 22% of the time
5 is the only other number picked more than once.

Just slightly more then ¼ chose another number then the 3 above (out of 10 total)

Conclusion? Don't try to use people for random stuff, even if they're autistic. I don't know

Unless I am mistaken, fewer than 30 people participated.

Whatever you may have had in mind, this is an extremely small
sample of a population.

New Threads

Top Bottom