• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Phrases I hate

NeoPhile

Can I get a "Bright not Broken"?
In this thread, we talk about different phrases that people use that we hate. There are always things that people say that get our goat, and this is the place to talk about them!

I'll go first:
"My son/daughter/nephew/cousin/dog's hairdresser's son's best friend is on the spectrum; so I know what you guys go through, and I'm necessarily for you." and all its variants.
First of all, you don't know what we go through, and just because someone in your family is autistic spectrum doesn't mean you're necessarily for us. Sometimes, parents of autistic children kill or abuse their kids. Just because someone in your family is on the spectrum doesn't mean you get to speak for us.

Referring to someone as "Damaged goods."

A sibling told me I'm attractive but that unfortunately I'm "damaged goods" and that no quality person would want me. Wtf

Insults that animals nAmes i wont say the names as it sickens me
or saying Jesus Christ would they like it if i used their name as a curse or blasphemy

I hate when couples speak about themselves in plural only. The worst one IMHO:
"We're pregnant!" Oh great, but unless you both have a baby growing inside of you, that's technically not true.

I hate when couples speak about themselves in plural only. The worst one IMHO:
"We're pregnant!" Oh great, but unless you both have a baby growing inside of you, that's technically not true.
I hate when couples have a shared Facebook page. :X

The expression "no brainer" because it's usually used as a form of manipulation so the person can get their way.

"I don't want to talk about it". Pushes my buttons every time because I DO want to talk about it, OK?? I want to make the problem better, not run away from it! I want to talk things over and work on whatever is causing the disagreement! Not leave the topic alone and stay angry, OK?? The people who say this phrase always remain angry. My doc told me to listen to that phrase and the only reason I'll work on that is to prevent the fight from escalating. Otherwise I still detest that phrase and I still detest the way people react to me in general.

In my country there's this one I really hate "El que nació para maceta del corredor no pasa" translated is like "Whom was born a flowerpot never goes far from the house entrance" Which is like a mediocre or something you put limits on yourself, like if you born someway you only can reach little. I really hate it and try not to follow it.

I hate it when weather presenters say "Temperatures will struggle to get up to x degrees". Temperatures don't struggle - they just are!

New Threads

Top Bottom