• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Phobia

DaisyRose

V.I.P Member
What is everyone’s phobias? Mine is thalassophobia which is the fear of the ocean. There is still so much information we do not know about the ocean. We know more about space than the ocean which is scary. Also, the deeper you go the creepier the creatures get. They look like aliens.

Arachnophobia is another one because I hate spiders. Spiders give me the creeps and make me want to run away with fear. I like other bugs such as earthworms, butterflies, ladybugs, caterpillars, dragonflies, beetles, etc. Spiders are my worst enemy I feel as if they are looking into my soul with all their eyes.

I have phobias of heights, cockroaches, and escalators.

Yes, escalators.

I am seriously terrified of them because I'm always worried one of two things will happen whenever I have to take one either going up or going down: if I'm going up, I'm afraid I'm going to trip and fall at the top and get hurt. If I'm going down, I'm afraid I'm going to lose my balance and fall down the escalator and get hurt. I will be holding onto that railing for dear life and internally panicking about what might happen on those accursed moving stairs.

Elevators, escalators, car crashes, serial killers, embarrassment, bugs, reptiles, surgery, sometimes even people in general. Some of these seem really silly, but living with phobias really keeps you revved up all the time

When l went in to the ocean in Hawaii, the water was so dark, l just thought there were lots of sharks swimming around, and l would be skittish about swimming too long. But l have scuba dived, and you can look around and see what you are swimming with. The other no no is accidentally swimming with jelly fish which happened once to me.

Last edited:
Here are a few of mine

Bandaids
Used Bandaids (especially)
Tags
Stickers
Snakes
Food someone ate off of
Used clothing
The smell of strawberry milk

@Slime_Punk

Sorry I couldn’t help myself

70029B90-7117-464A-A854-3B95034FEF18.jpeg

Acrophobia, but just open heights. I am okay inside of aircraft & tall buildings. (I read that many commercial pilots are the same way. ;))
The smell of strawberry milk
According to the TV promos, Monk had a fear of milk...

Last edited:
Needles, surgery, illness... anything medical.

A more minor phobia of elevators, sort of. Didnt originally have that one, and then there was a particular convention I was at, held at a rather notorious (and eventually demolished) hotel, where an elevator crashed during the event. Fortunately it only fell one floor and nobody died, but still, it fell. I still remember the scene with the emergency responders pushing through the crowd like it was yesterday.

Every single bloody time I need to get in an elevator since then, I remember that stupid place. That was the same hotel where other fun things happened, such as the doorknob falling off and spiders coming out of the AC unit (seriously it really was that bad).

Fear of storms, too, but not so much anymore.

Paralyzing fear of dentists. Blech.

I don't have any phobias, but there are a few things I don't like or make me uncomfortable for sensory reasons.

Elevators, escalators, car crashes, serial killers, embarrassment, bugs, reptiles, surgery, sometimes even people in general. Some of these seem really silly, but living with phobias really keeps you revved up all the time

Same, all of the above, except for reptiles and bugs (but I'm afraid of centipedes and hornets, and I'm arachnophobic.)

I also have phobias of a lot of other things: swimming, plane crashes, nuclear war/accidents, being kidnapped, tornadoes, tsunamis, certain "cryptid"/paranormal creatures, voodoo, sleeping in the dark and silence, home invasions, dog theft, driving off a bridge, industrial freezers, falling in the shower, hallways of taxidermy animals in natural history museums, bears, coyotes, driving alone at night, and mass shootings, to name a bunch of mine.
I know there are others though :/ I'm a very anxious person.

Arachnophobia, agoraphobia, astraphobia, (lightening), tomophobia, (fear of surgery and anesthesia), aerophobia, (flying), thanatophobia, (death).

spider-animated.gif
Add them together and you are afraid to go places and refuse to go via plane. The plane gets caught in a storm, hit by lightning, a crate of spiders breaks open and crawls all over the place. The plane crashes, you're hauled to the hospital where you undergo surgery and die.
...Lonely in my nightmare. :eek:

Basically everything I'm afraid of could be put into the broader category of thanatophobia. I really just don't want to die.
Some people who have had near death experiences feel desensitized to dying. It did the complete opposite for me.

I get very easily startled and dislike horror movies, theme parks and other dangerous or uncomfortable experiences, but none of those have developed into actual phobias. I dislike mosquitos and most flies and get startled if I see or hear them around me, but it isn't because I have a phobia for them, but rather because I don't want to be bitten (pain) or bothered (noise, touch). I don't feel bothered by spiders in the least because they are silent, tend to avoid people, and are completely harmless where I live. I really like observing spiders and insects, ever since I was a child and read the "big bug book".

I would posit that all my fears are perfectly reasonable and so I wouldn't really classify them as phobias. I am afraid of heights, but that's because I can easily die or seriously injure myself in one swift movement. I used to be afraid of needles but that's because I really dislike pain and try to avoid it to the furthest extent possible. I started donating blood regularly a few years ago and that has helped desensitize me to them, though they still make me uncomfortable. The thought of deep sea diving terrifies me, but that's because panicking can very easily kill you and it's easy to lose directions in the dark. The Bends (what happens if you move too quickly to the surface) also sounds close to the worst possible way to die.

I don't know if it quite classifies as a phobia for me (no near death experience), but like @Luca, I also would really like to keep on living and am very risk averse in my daily life. The reason for it is simple. I enjoy learning about the world and hearing stories but I won't be able to do that anymore once I die, so I would like to extend my learning period as much as possible.

I don't feel bothered by spiders in the least because they are silent, tend to avoid people, and are completely harmless where I live.
I agree with you on the last 2 things, but I have heard the big boys crawling around at night during spider season. 3 times in my life I've heard them before I saw them. The first time was more then 20 years ago, and twice last year. First time I thought it was a moth hitting the blinds on the window, nope, big spider! Last year I though it was just another visit from a daddy long legs, hitting off the walls, nope, big spider!

I'm not really that afraid of spiders, but too may surprises from the big lads has left me a bit squeamish around September/October time. Maybe I just have sensitive hearing.

I agree with you on the last 2 things, but I have heard the big boys crawling around at night during spider season. 3 times in my life I've heard them before I saw them. The first time was more then 20 years ago, and twice last year. First time I thought it was a moth hitting the blinds on the window, nope, big spider! Last year I though it was just another visit from a daddy long legs, hitting off the walls, nope, big spider!

I'm not really that afraid of spiders, but too may surprises from the big lads has left me a bit squeamish around September/October time. Maybe I just have sensitive hearing.

In my country we don't have any large spiders. They are all really tiny as larger ones wouldn't survive in the cold. I really don't think I have ever heard a noise from a local specimen, even when closely observing them. I can see how larger spiders would be more unnerving.

Pedophobia: fear of children. I was terrified of children when I was a child. That fear has never diminished.

Anthropophobia: Seeing someone walking up to me is terrifying.

Glossophobia: I find eyes looking at me to be smothering and stifling. Feels like a nightmare.

Social Phobia: I have a profound fear of being judged. I never know how to interact and fear that anything I say or how I look will be judged badly.

There are more, including several PTSD's, but I don't know if a PTSD would be considered a phobia?

What is everyone’s phobias? Mine is thalassophobia which is the fear of the ocean. There is still so much information we do not know about the ocean. We know more about space than the ocean which is scary. Also, the deeper you go the creepier the creatures get. They look like aliens.

Arachnophobia is another one because I hate spiders. Spiders give me the creeps and make me want to run away with fear. I like other bugs such as earthworms, butterflies, ladybugs, caterpillars, dragonflies, beetles, etc. Spiders are my worst enemy I feel as if they are looking into my soul with all their eyes.
Escalators. If they are longer or the height is bigger, I cannot go down them. I have often used elevators and stairs to get out of it. Sometimes, even the small Escalators depends on going on them.

I also dont like certain foods.

People have mentioned needles, I used to be utterly terrified of needles but getting my COVID shots (and two booster shots) have made me lose that fear because they don't hurt as much as they used to.

New Threads

Top Bottom