• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Petition to make religion a blockable topic on your threads list.

Would you prefer religion to be able to be blocked from your thread list?

• Yes

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • No

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 11 37.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find scrolling past the post does it for me. You can also ignore them.

However, it would also be nice for those posting to understand the thread topic and moderate their input.

As an Aspie I have had enough of "I don't care what you think" to be a little more generous with others here. I might not be less critical, but that is a different matter.

Oi vey, this thread is tiring.

I think the points that needed to be made have been made. Can everyone agree that it might be in best interest for everyone if staff lock the thread? We can move the discussion on the alerts thing to another thread. This thread is already off of the OP as it is.

In my honest opinion, in the bigger scheme of things, making each section of this forum an opt-in would first serve to create confusion, then promote further division.
Don't we get enough of that already?

As a whole, we strive to be an inclusive community where we attempt to be tolerant of everyone's point of view. Sometimes we fail, because that is in our nature and very often we will have very different opinions which can ruffle our feathers.

I'd like to think that we as a community can work together to iron stuff out, or just plain ignore what we don't want to read. We are all big kids now who get to sit at the grownup table, correct?

Nothing ever gets accomplished in a discussion unless we have some opposing views to examine an issue from many angles.
Just like life, the unfortunate part is that some won't always get their way on the end.

For those with faith who oppose their views, atheists have the exact same rights as the believers do, with no views allowed here that take anything to the point of supremacy. Not on my watch anyway.
The same goes the other way, if that requires any further explanation.

While we don't stifle free speech here as a general rule, we all, including me, joined a private club, where we have some rules in place to keep the place civil and inviting for all, not just a select few.

On a same but different note, off-color, vulgar or offensive language isn't acceptable here, because for one, many don't want to see any of it, ever.
If you feel the need to use it and are two consenting adults, have at it in private, but bear in mind that both parties have to be ok with it in order for it to work.

Every once in a while, we selectively edit some posts that stray out of bounds, or remove them completely if that aren't up to snuff, but that's mostly to reduce the conflict levels and keep a lot of you out of the penalty box so to speak.
Yep, we try to attach a note explaining why we found it out of sorts, but that also keeps us from being cops trying to fill a ticket quota, so both sides can consider it a win.

We can ask the owner for an opt-in for the religion forum which might help some of you, but how do those that want that done propose we eliminate all traces of it on the main forum areas?

The simplest solution for not viewing the Religion area would be to not click on it to begin with. The other stuff, not so much.

As staff members, we are fortunate enough to have to view all new materials, then read and respond to each report as they come in.

Most of the time, you people are are a lot of fun, while other times I wake up to a fully involved structure fire with only a kinked and leaky garden hose to put it out. Not so fun those mornings, but I just go thru the motions and with the rest of the staff, we straighten it out.

For those that don't know me well, I'm basically a crusty old biker type dragracer with a bad mouth and an attitude to suit.
I was fortunate enough to do lot of other cool stuff in my day too, but immediately changed my personality when I donned my gypsy leathers or pulled a five point safety harness tight.

Every once in a while, I post somewhat offensive stuff I probably shouldn't, but please bear in mind that I am human just like the rest of you, and we should never forget that we on the spectrum are harnessed to a huge cart filled with communication issues trying to put our emotions to text. We all have good and bad days, right? And yeah, my social faux pas get reported too, just in case any of you are wondering.

When offering your thought and opinions anywhere on our forum, we must always try to do it with the respect and/or dignity that each of us deserve.

Over and out, Nitro

Thanks for this, at least.

As usual I appreciate the time you guys take to actually keep track of things around here. Some forums arent quite that lucky. Well... quite a lot of forums arent that lucky.

Ye gods, what a mess though. Maybe lock this one? Or is that a bit much? A topic that's gone as this one has rarely ever gets better though.

Anybody got an idea how this thread turned into a total fiasco?

Rhetorical question.

On the face of it, this thread was a request for information about how to
manage new posts.

My suggestion is if you don't want to delve into faith based or religious
topics, don't click anything in the Religion area.

An open notice to any member reading, be advised that the areas on the
forum are divided into categories. So please try your best to keep your
replies directed toward the appropriate area.

If you are having difficulty managing your thoughts or feelings toward some
topics, it could be useful to consider whether your response is necessary or
rational.

For instance, just because you disagree with another member's point of view,
that doesn't mean you absolutely must be outraged.

The following are non-rational ideas.

1. I must have love or approval from all the significant people in my life.

2. I absolutely must be thoroughly competent, adequate, and achieving or the idea that I must be competent or talented in some important area.

3. Other people absolutely must not act obnoxiously and unfairly, and when they do, I should blame and damn them, and see them as bad, wicked, or rotten individuals.

4. I have to see things as being awful, terrible, and catastrophic when I am seriously frustrated or treated unfairly.

5. I must be miserable when I have pressures and difficult experiences; and I have little ability to control, and cannot change, my disturbed feelings.

6. If something is deemed dangerous or fearsome, I must obsess about it and frantically try to escape from it before it happens.

7. I can easily avoid facing challenges and responsibilities and still lead a highly fulfilling existence.

8. My past remains all-important and because something once strongly influenced my life, it has to keep determining my feelings and behavior today.

9. People and things absolutely must be better than they are and it is awful and horrible if I cannot change life’s grim facts to suit me.

10. I can achieve maximum happiness by inertia and inaction or by passively enjoying myself.
from, A. Ellis, A Guide to Rational Living

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom