• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Petition to make religion a blockable topic on your threads list.

Would you prefer religion to be able to be blocked from your thread list?

• Yes

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • No

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 11 37.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Major Tom

Searching for ground control...
V.I.P Member
It used to be that religion and politics were lumped together and you could shut off notifications for those topics. Even hiding them from view. Politics are still like that. I'd extremely prefer that it went back to to old way so that I don't have to be seeing all of the religious posts and threads that have been springing up recently. They make me physically feel like throwing up . Is there anyone else who would prefer that religion again be able to be blocked from your feed?

No amount of preaching or "spreading the word" is going to make me change how I feel so please refrain from preaching on this thread.

Last edited:
I would also like to see a separate 'spirituality' section, as I'd prefer not to have to use 'religion' for topics that aren't about religion, and find certain posts get moved there.

Yes, totally agree.

Also, I wish it were possible to block individual threads like the 'happy birthday' thread or all those games threads - I really don't need to see those pop up into my feed every day!

In fact, maybe it would make sense to give us the choice over EVERY topic, so we can fine tune our experience to exclude anything.

No, some people find it helpful, faith that is, and this place is supposed to be about support. It's not like people can turn to politics for comfort, so the comparison isn't that useful.

I hadn't noticed any excessive mentions, but I haven't been here much the last few days. What have I missed? You can always block people if their content is not to your liking.

No, some people find it helpful, faith that is, and this place is supposed to be about support. It's not like people can turn to politics for comfort, so the comparison isn't that useful.
Um...he's not suggesting it should be removed, only that people have the choice whether to see it or not.

Um...he's not suggesting it should be removed, only that people have the choice whether to see it or not.
It infers more than wanting to see it on a thread ,it infers censorship and that infers negativity and that a voting membership is more important than FREEDOM

And could atheists not presume I'm interested in anything linked to atheism it's so overdone

Last edited:
It infers more than wanting to see it on a thread ,it infers censorship and that infers negativity and that a voting membership is more important than FREEDOM
That's going a bit far. It's not censorhip if individuals are given the choice whether to see a thread or part of a forum or not. It doesn't affect anyone's freedom of speech, people would still be free to view the religion section, or not, according to their individual preference. It's about customising one's experience of the forum.

Last edited:
That's going a bit far. It's not censorhip if individuals were given the choice whether to see a thread or party of a forum or not. It's doesn't affect anyone's freedom of speech, people would still be free to view the religion section, or not, according to their individual preference. It's about customising one's experience of the forum.
then have an atheism section so everyone can opt into that

You already have that choice in the 'ignore' options, it'd be the same posters mostly so use it.
No way. The people who post in 'religion' make interesting contributions elsewhere. You're suggesting block people rather than give people a choice as to which section they see? o_O:rolleyes:

It doesn't imply censorship or imply anything negative. It makes it easier to opt out of seeing it just as it does with the politics section. Are you saying everyone should see the politics section too?

It doesn't imply censorship or imply anything negative. It makes it easier to opt out of seeing it just as it does with the politics section. Are you saying everyone should see the politics section too?
I'm saying the less something is seen the more some people give an excuse that I didn't see it so I can do whatever ! I want

*I will respect the OP and not mention mans religion as I also am not a fan of mans religion at all and think it does more damage than not. This being the case, I also believe that many lump “religion” with a relationship with the one I call my Father.

I’m new here, and I do talk about a relationship just as some talk about a relationship with their spouse, their children, with more than one person, with their parents and so on. My relationship with my father, Jesus, has nothing to do with religion nor politics!

Would it be the same if a Muslim woman were talking about her relationship with wearing a Hijab or walking behind her husband which is required? That isn’t politics is it? Isn’t it a law with that group of people?

If someone wishes to put me on ignore due to my relationships then by all means please do so as I never wish to offend anyone.

My relationship with Jesus is who I am, and why I am. I walk and breath with Him in the forefront of my mind. I also believe He was killed because of politics so there is that.

@Major Tom I do appreciate what you are saying - but also have seen so much talked about not sure exactly what your pointing exactly too but at the end of the day I’ll choose my relationship with my Father over a website/forum.

Am I understanding you correctly?
Possibly I’m totally not getting this but I sure am trying!

I'm saying the less something is seen the more some people give an excuse that I didn't see it so I can do whatever ! I want
I think you're missing the point. Your response is similar to what someone might say to someone who wants to ban religion and you're imagining anarchy would ensue if it was.

The OP is simply suggesting people have a choice, not that they should give up religious practice or that there's anything wrong with those who still want to use the religion section.

Last edited:
I think you're missing the point. Your response is similar to what someone might say to someone who wants to ban religion and you're imagining anarchy would ensue if it was.

The OP is simply suggesting people have a choice, not that they should give up religious practice or that there's anything wrong with those who still want to enjoy the religion section.
I'm also suggesting if it's such a great idea opting out of atheism

Would it be the same if a Muslim woman were talking about her relationship with wearing a Hijab or walking behind her husband which is required? That isn’t politics is it? Isn’t it a law with that group of people?

Although I have no real opinion or preference when it comes to seeing religious posts, just wanted to correct this damaging stereotype:
No, it's not required by law for Muslim women to wear a Hijab or walk behind her husband. It may be required in some regions in the world as part of the local culture, but it's not required by Islam. I have many Muslim friends who don't follow either of these practices.

Oh My ______ (Insert name or non-name reference to your acceptable deity. Alternately, name or refer to your favorite idolized musician or sports figure.)

IMHO...
There are only two topics of any lasting importance. How we relate to our creator and how we relate to our fellow man. Religion and politics.

NT or ND, many of the problems we have touch on these seminal issues. They emerge all over the place. What now? We're going to task the site staff with hunting down and obliterating any post on any thread that touches on religion?

I'm convinced we're made of nobler stuff than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom