• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Pet snail or toad?

inkfingers

21 year old artist
I love animals, but hate the upkeep. I've always been drawn to slugs, toads, and snails. I had a pet hamster, but it was kind of "nippy", and it died after a couple years. I really want to get another pet, but with all my college work right now, I don't think its a good idea. I'm thinking about potential birthday ideas, and I did a quick Google search on pet snails. They seem to be pretty easy to keep.

Here's the problem. Number 1: I share a room with my little sister.
Number 2: I don't know if my mom would allow me to have a snail or toad.
Number 3: I am busy with college.

Does anyone have experience with pet snails and/or toads? If so, what are some of the pros/cons for you? I've handled garden toads, but never a "pet" one. Are they easy to handle? Or do they try to escape. I find them to be very cute and attractive. Any advice and input is appreciated. Thanks!

When I kept tropical fish, I had some aquatic snails.

A snail is easier to keep enclosed.

If I were looking for an easy to keep pet animal, and the
choice was between snail and toad, I'd pick snail.

I can't say I know much about either one, but have seen quite a few videos on YouTube about maintenance required for toads and snails, so do have a look at those. They require the right climate (temperature/humidity) at the very least which will mean you will have to do upkeep or the animal will suffer. They do still need their enclosure cleaned on a weekly (?) basis as far as I know, so any pet you decide to keep does need looking after.

A tarantula may be the one pet that requires the least interference, it needs fresh water daily and food on a weekly basis, but generally they like to be left alone and some don't need too much in the way of ideal climate. That said, there could be problems when they molt their skin/shell, they could get stuck in there and die.

I would say, if you're too busy for a pet, this might not be the right time for it. You also share your room with your sister who may not like these things around. :)

I've never kept any of these myself, but having helped look after some toads for a research project I can confirm that they do try and escape, and that they aren't exactly low maintenance.

All toads are frogs.
Not all frogs are toads.

To keep frogs, the water has to be just right [unless the frogs are making do with a small saucer of water]. Think fishtanks. That is what you have to do to frog water.

Frogs are not cuddly. They don't like being touched or held or played with.

Frogs can bite. Most species of frog have three teeth-like structures on the roof of their mout.

Frogs pee and poop in their water. That has to be cleaned daily.

Frogs require certain temperature range and live food.

Frogs are actually not pets. They are specimens.

Here is the one thing I know about aquarium snails: they reproduce. A lot.

New Threads

Top Bottom