• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Personal Opinions Please: Part 1

Gomendosi

V.I.P Member
I need your help; it has come to my attention lately that I am so far in the dark when it comes to context. While I am Aspergical and so do mix things up, I now ask those on the spectrum to give me personal definitions (with anonymous examples If you like) to help me to understand.

Try not to just agree with another post but actually profess your own opinions, thanks ; ]

What is the difference between:

Force & Request

Attack & Explain

Discussion & Argument

Dictionary Definitions:

Force: make (someone) do something against their will.
Request: an act of asking politely or formally for something.

Attack: an aggressive and violent act against a person or place.
Explain: make (an idea or situation) clear to someone by describing it in more detail or revealing relevant facts.

Discussion: the action or process of talking about something in order to reach a decision or to exchange ideas.
Argument: an exchange of diverging or opposite views, typically a heated or angry one.

The differences between these definitions seem to be that one is based on cold logic/ social politeness, where as the other is fuelled by emotions. If you're concerned that you may be in a dark place, with your ideas, there may be some unresolved issues you're dealing with. Perhaps you need to try identifying these issues, and try to resolve them. If you would like to talk, feel free to PM me :)

1) The difference is in the social pressure applied.

2) The difference is in the level of condescension.

3) The difference is in the reasonableness.

Force - demand that someone do what you want them to do or there will be bad consequence. It usually comes in a form of a statement.

Ex: "Go clean your room or you will get a spanking."

Request - ask someone to do something. They decide if they want to or not. Comes in the form of a question.

Ex: "Would you please go and clean your room?"

Discussion: when two persons or groups come together to talk about a topic - one side is for and the other against. Both sides take turns listening to the other and giving explanations of why they believe the way they believe is correct. At the end an agreement of who is correct usually is made based on evidence.

Ex- a debate

Argument: both sides agree they are right and no ones mind will be changed no matter what evidence is brought out. Everything is said in statements and facts whether its true or not. Neither side listens to the others explanations.

Ex- political and religious discussions

Attack vs Explain
This one is difficult for me. I'm going to go back to religion on this one. If someone "attacks" me for my religious beliefs they are going to say derogatory statements about me that are unfounded, such as I'm "stupid" for believing such things INSTEAD of "explaining" to me why they think I'm wrong in my beliefs by giving sound reasons that could possibly be founded. The one "attacking" is always right in their own mind and will not change whether they are right or wrong it doesn't matter. The one "explaining" gives their reasoning of why they believe the way they do and will usually have an open mind for discussion and could change their mind depending on reasons presented to them.

That's how I think of those words. Hope that helps a little.

Force is to use aggression to make something happen and Request is to ask politely.
Attack (assuming you meant verbally) is to berate, belittle or undermine someone else.
In a discussion you seek the truth, in an argument you seek to win.

They are all words which have a common meaning but can be distorted depending on the person who interprets them.
Between force and request there's the boundary of free choice.
Argument and discussion: the latter starts more smoothly but can derive into an argument.
Attack and explain... The former focuses on a intrusion into some physical or abstract level of the others' rights whilst explaining would stand for a more accurate transmission of information than an individual had before.

I need your help; it has come to my attention lately that I am so far in the dark when it comes to context. While I am Aspergical and so do mix things up, I now ask those on the spectrum to give me personal definitions (with anonymous examples If you like) to help me to understand.

Try not to just agree with another post but actually profess your own opinions, thanks ; ]

Force & Request

Attack & Explain

Discussion & Argument

force is to use physical strength or threats of violence to make someone do someone he/she doesnt want to do. request is asking someone nicely, can you please do me a favor. if you dont, nothing will happen. only if you want to.

attack is to either attack with your fists or a weapon, or with very rude words, bullying, "You're a fool for thinking this way." explain is to explain the world is round, but people cant fall off because of gravity, no personal insults.

discuss is to look at both sides of the issue, present your own, and listen to the other's point of view, while argument is to say "You're wrong. you're making a mistake."

In a discussion you seek the truth, in an argument you seek to win.

This particular pair, discussion/argument, is especially tricky for how easily the first can turn into the second. The tipping point can be very hard to detect, as the conversion generally happens internally, within one of the participants, often before the other is aware. What happens next is dependent upon how well the person who first feels threatened or upset controls their emotions in their next response. If they are able to course-correct, staying calm and polite, the discussion can remain a discussion. If they can or do not, and their next words are pointed and emotional, the other party is likely to respond in kind--if for no other reason than that the other party becomes defensive, for their surprise at the outburst, or offended by some statement contained therein. Thus commences an argument.

I'm not sure I agree that a discussion is necessarily a quest for truth, per se. When the subject of a discussion isn't something very concrete, the "truth" is often subjective. Indeed, the very reason many discussions turn into arguments is that people have different "truths", which they feel compelled to defend. That in mind, I would suggest that in discussion, what is/might better be sought is something more like understanding, or compromise. It really depends on the subject at hand.

1) depends. It can be a polite request or it can be a kind of request where you'd have to comply, in this situation it's going to be close to force. In any case, force is about making people do what they don't want. So I guess, with request there's a choice - want / don't want. If you don't want to do something but do it upon request, you can consider yourself being forced to do it :D

2) attack and explain? ... hm, ok... here it goes, if you explain something and another person is willing to listen that you're fine. If you keep trying to explain something over and over while another person don't want anything to do with you - you are attacking them :)

3) discussion is where nobody really want to prove anything, people are just talking, expressing different opinions. Arguing is when people try to prove each others righteousness and don't want to accept another person's opinion.

That's it, I think, unless I misunderstood the question

Thinking about your quest for clarity further, Gomendosi, another pair of terms worth examining is "impact vs. intent".

All of the word pairings you have offered, in both of your threads on the matter, entail a degree of perception. I started thinking about this when I read Ylva's reponse to your question, in which she differentiated your terms as follows:

Force & Request - The difference is in the social pressure applied.

Attack & Explain - The difference is in the level of condescension.

Discussion & Argument - The difference is in the reasonableness.

I think Ylva is correct in all three of these. Trouble is, things like "social pressure", "condescension", and "reasonableness" are all subjective. A person may say something to another that is not intended to apply pressure, be condescending, or be unreasonable, but their counterpart may perceive their message as having one of more of these effects. One the things I like about AC is that most of its members are uncommonly good at explaining their intentions when they make a statement. This is very important on a forum, I think, because we're mostly all strangers to each other, and do not have the benefit of non-verbal cues to assist our perception of a speaker's intentions. Being willing to explain where one is coming from makes communication much smoother. Being willing to listen to that explanation, objectively, fulfills the promise of keeping things smooth.

Thinking about your quest for clarity further, Gomendosi, another pair of terms worth examining is "impact vs. intent".

All of the word pairings you have offered, in both of your threads on the matter, entail a degree of perception. I started thinking about this when I read Ylva's reponse to your question, in which she differentiated your terms as follows:

Force & Request - The difference is in the social pressure applied.

Attack & Explain - The difference is in the level of condescension.

Discussion & Argument - The difference is in the reasonableness.

I think Ylva is correct in all three of these. Trouble is, things like "social pressure", "condescension", and "reasonableness" are all subjective. A person may say something to another that is not intended to apply pressure, be condescending, or be unreasonable, but their counterpart may perceive their message as having one of more of these effects. One the things I like about AC is that most of its members are uncommonly good at explaining their intentions when they make a statement. This is very important on a forum, I think, because we're mostly all strangers to each other, and do not have the benefit of non-verbal cues to assist our perception of a speaker's intentions. Being willing to explain where one is coming from makes communication much smoother. Being willing to listen to that explanation, objectively, fulfills the promise of keeping things smooth.
I may have previously agreed with you, until I realised how emotionally manipulative my ex was, in which case I realised that my "emotional" response to him was orchestrated directly by him all with a smiling face. As an aspie, I learnt the hard way that people in general say one thing but do another as I always took people at face value, particularly when they "explained" intentions.

I disagree the focus should be on "perceptions" when both parties are responsible in all the scenarios for the type of communication that results. I think the difference between each of these is a power struggle or lack thereof. For example:

Force and request, to request is to ask giving the person the option to decline. To force is to take a position of power over the other person and solicit a response they did not want to give. An example would be to include the "disagree" button, thereby giving people the opportunity to register their opinion without defending themself, verse removing the button with the express desire that any person that wants to register their disagreement must then defend their position.

I may have previously agreed with you, until I realised how emotionally manipulative my ex was, in which case I realised that my "emotional" response to him was orchestrated directly by him all with a smiling face. As an aspie, I learnt the hard way that people in general say one thing but do another as I always took people at face value, particularly when they "explained" intentions.

I disagree the focus should be on "perceptions" when both parties are responsible in all the scenarios for the type of communication that results. I think the difference between each of these is a power struggle or lack thereof. For example:

Force and request, to request is to ask giving the person the option to decline. To force is to take a position of power over the other person and solicit a response they did not want to give. An example would be to include the "disagree" button, thereby giving people the opportunity to register their opinion without defending themself, verse removing the button with the express desire that any person that wants to register their disagreement must then defend their position.

You make an excellent point, about deliberate emotional manipulation. My answer assumed that all parties in a discussion were honest actors--and not emotionally dependent on each other, as in an intimate relationship. I was thinking more of forums, or discussions between mere acquaintances. Especially in relationships, you're absolutely right that a person who knows which buttons to push can thoroughly orchestrate an emotional response. That was my ex-spouse, too. Sorry you had to endure that.

Interesting analogy about the "disagree" button. I had never even noticed it as an option, and found the discussion around its problems enlightening. When it comes to speech, though, let's say in a forum--how often can a response actually be forced? You can request a person's answer, even badger them for it, but you can't compel it. That's one of the few things I really like about this medium. If you don't want to answer, it's easy enough not to. Of course a person can feel baited, or put on the spot. But silence can be an excellent answer to that. It seems to me to come down to self-discipline, and the question, "Should I just walk away from this person/discussion, or do I think I can answer without elevating the tension further?" I don't claim to be an expert at this. We all have our flaws, and our buttons, as I mentioned previously.

I see what you mean about "both parties [being] responsible in all the scenarios for the type of communication that results". I'm just not sure how that would diminish the importance of perception as a major factor in interpersonal communication. Part of that mutual responsibility of good communication is constructing one's messages in such a way that meaning and intentions are clear, so they might be received as intended. See what I'm saying? Few conversations get anywhere at all if participants aren't keeping in mind how their messages will come across, and on the other side, checking their emotions until they are quite certain what was intended by another. If you're not certain you've perceived a message correctly, you have the responsibility to clarify before responding in a way that might cause the conversation to deteriorate into an argument. Again, I'm no expert at this. What sounds good in writing doesn't always work in the moment.

You make an excellent point, about deliberate emotional manipulation. My answer assumed that all parties in a discussion were honest actors--and not emotionally dependent on each other, as in an intimate relationship. I was thinking more of forums, or discussions between mere acquaintances. Especially in relationships, you're absolutely right that a person who knows which buttons to push can thoroughly orchestrate an emotional response. That was my ex-spouse, too. Sorry you had to endure that.

Interesting analogy about the "disagree" button. I had never even noticed it as an option, and found the discussion around its problems enlightening. When it comes to speech, though, let's say in a forum--how often can a response actually be forced? You can request a person's answer, even badger them for it, but you can't compel it. That's one of the few things I really like about this medium. If you don't want to answer, it's easy enough not to. Of course a person can feel baited, or put on the spot. But silence can be an excellent answer to that. It seems to me to come down to self-discipline, and the question, "Should I just walk away from this person/discussion, or do I think I can answer without elevating the tension further?" I don't claim to be an expert at this. We all have our flaws, and our buttons, as I mentioned previously.

I see what you mean about "both parties [being] responsible in all the scenarios for the type of communication that results". I'm just not sure how that would diminish the importance of perception as a major factor in interpersonal communication. Part of that mutual responsibility of good communication is constructing one's messages in such a way that meaning and intentions are clear, so they might be received as intended. See what I'm saying? Few conversations get anywhere at all if participants aren't keeping in mind how their messages will come across, and on the other side, checking their emotions until they are quite certain what was intended by another. If you're not certain you've perceived a message correctly, you have the responsibility to clarify before responding in a way that might cause the conversation to deteriorate into an argument. Again, I'm no expert at this. What sounds good in writing doesn't always work in the moment.
Emotional manipulation doesn't just occur in intimate relationships. Badgering, trolling, crazy making and gas lighting are all techniques which can be applied in the forum context with people you don't know personally.

I need to premise the rest of my response by explaining the basis I am coming from:
- this is a forum about ASD, and as such many people on this site are autistic.
- one of the inherit traits of ASD is the struggle to communicate. The brain works differently, and as such effectively communicating is challenging at the best of times.
- many auties are bullied just because they can't defend themselves. This may be because they can't process what's happening to them, they may not realise it's happening, they may not have the coping strategies in order to respond, they may even see the bullying as better than the alternative of isolation, and the list goes on. But you would be surprised how many people are opportunistic in this regard.
- because auties struggle so much, what an NT may be able to brush off as an everyday interaction, an autie will take it personally and get very upset. Basically when it happens so often, it takes less and less to solicit the same degree of disempowerment from them.
- when disempowering someone but prior to breaking their will, there are generally one of three responses you'll get from them; mad, sad or bad. These strong emotions are difficult to deal with and can bleed through into a persons posts. They are fuelled by frustration at not being able to effectively communicate.

Having understood all that, I hope you'll then make the link as to why I think your post saying things like "mutual responsibility of good communication is constructing one's messages in such a way that meaning and intentions are clear, so they might be received as intended", while true, takes on a whole new meaning on this site.

"Few conversations get anywhere at all if participants aren't keeping in mind how their messages will come across, and on the other side, checking their emotions until they are quite certain what was intended by another". But in this place, it is also vital that you appreciate that the other party are often dismissed as they can't get their point across in a timely manner, or effectively. There's also the problem of the medium, as long as this post is, it's really the tip of the iceberg compared to all the thoughts I have swirling round in my head. Writing this will take me a good hour, and then I will check, double check, quadruple check it to see if the logic has been articulated adequately and it ultimately makes the points I want to make. But, my mind works differently to you, so I also have to check to make sure that you can understand me. As for checking ones emotions, sometimes the language can come across as emotional when it is not meant that way, sometimes the emotion represents how strongly a person feels on the topic and not specifically toward the other person in the conversation, sometimes the emotion is there as we have been dismissed so many times that there is fear it will happen again this time, and sometimes the person is just plain angry at the other person for something they've said. I have found the best way to address this situation is not to tell the other person how they should be reacting, but to ask them to explain what they feel and if you have caused it and invite them to be heard, because ultimately that is what we want, to be heard.

Another thing I wanted to elaborate on is your comments about walking away. It may be easy to walk away, but this is the one place I can go to interact with my own kind, I don't want to walk away. When I'm struggling to communicate or am feeling badgered or undermined, my posts get either longer or shorter. The longer ones try and elaborate to a point where my opinion can stand irrefutable (please understand I'm not trying to convince other people I'm right, just trying to stop them from tearing my opinion apart). The shorter ones are a sign I'm frustrated and am close to lashing out, and come just before I walk away. I persist long after I should in a discussion that has deteriorated into an argument because I have a need to be heard and really have few other places where I can be done so. I think this is taken advantage of often by people seeking cheep thrills, and an aspie forum is easy game for them.

And at the end of all this I will make it very clear that this is just my opinion. I have no training, it is based on observation and experience only.

But none of this really changes my answer to Gomendosi, that the difference between all those words were the presence or absence of a power struggle by one of the parties, however blatant or hidden the power struggle is.

I take it we are looking at these in terms of social interaction.

Force: getting someone to act, think, behave in a particular way by implying some possible negative consequence. ie. physical harm, loss of privileges, etc. There is no room for saying no.

Request: seeking to have someone act, think, behave in a particular way, by asking politely. Most importantly, the person has the right to accept or deny the request.

I'm not sure how to differentiate attack and explain, they don't seem all that directly related to me.

Argument: An exchange between two or more people by stating positions, facts, and supporting evidence to change the actions, thoughts or behaviors of the other.

Discussion: An exchange of ideas, thoughts, impressions about things past, present or future. There is not necessarily an intended outcome to a discussion other than the possibility of coming to an understanding of each other.

Wow, Christy. You have no idea how helpful this was to me. Thank you so very much for taking the time and energy to get into so much detail, especially as you've explained what an elaborate process articulating your thoughts can be. This may be the single most useful post I've read since joining AC.

Emotional manipulation doesn't just occur in intimate relationships. Badgering, trolling, crazy making and gas lighting are all techniques which can be applied in the forum context with people you don't know personally.

You know what, I think you're absolutely right on that. In fact, before coming here, I'd more or less abandoned online forums altogether for the BS that goes on. I guess that's one of the effects AC has had on me--this is about as close as it gets to a "perfect forum environment", so I may have been thinking in terms that were too ideal, based on the overwhelming majority of my experiences here. I've been lucky, I reckon, in that I've never had that sort of nonsense directed at me online, at least not in a forum context, so I never had cause to analyse the methods of those who employ such nasty tactics.

Having understood all that, I hope you'll then make the link as to why I think your post saying things like "mutual responsibility of good communication is constructing one's messages in such a way that meaning and intentions are clear, so they might be received as intended", while true, takes on a whole new meaning on this site.

Totally. I understand.

"Few conversations get anywhere at all if participants aren't keeping in mind how their messages will come across, and on the other side, checking their emotions until they are quite certain what was intended by another". But in this place, it is also vital that you appreciate that the other party are often dismissed as they can't get their point across in a timely manner, or effectively. There's also the problem of the medium, as long as this post is, it's really the tip of the iceberg compared to all the thoughts I have swirling round in my head.

Ah, I see. I was under the impression that the benefit of this medium is that it isn't real-time communication, so participants can take all the time they need to reflect and compose their ideal response. That's one of the things Nadador has said he likes about forums, but that makes a whopping sample of one on which I based my conclusions. For an NT, this place can be so deceiving. The complexity of thought I see here, and the wonderful honesty in communication, can make me forget that for some members, saying what they really want to say can be a struggle--emotionally, too. Thank you for this reminder.

I have found the best way to address this situation is not to tell the other person how they should be reacting, but to ask them to explain what they feel and if you have caused it and invite them to be heard, because ultimately that is what we want, to be heard.

Point well taken. Again, as I have rarely seen such complexity and honesty in a forum, it is easy to forget the pain that may underlie even the most benign statements. I am at a definite disadvantage here, for not having an Aspie mind or an Aspie life. My partner may not be the best example for me, as his own Aspie mind, and his own Aspie life, are a bit nonstandard. The only other person I've known on the spectrum, that I am aware of, was my younger brother, who was severely disabled and more or less nonverbal. There's a huge middle range of which I have no prior experience.

Another thing I wanted to elaborate on is your comments about walking away. It may be easy to walk away, but this is the one place I can go to interact with my own kind, I don't want to walk away.

I persist long after I should in a discussion that has deteriorated into an argument because I have a need to be heard and really have few other places where I can be done so. I think this is taken advantage of often by people seeking cheep thrills, and an aspie forum is easy game for them.

Again, this is a valuable insight for me. I need to thank Gomendosi for posting his questions, so that this exchange between us could be had. At first, when I read your statement, "I don't want to walk away", I wanted to clarify that I only meant from the particular thread. But reading the rest of your comment, I see why even that could be a very depressing, defeating thing to do.

Your honesty here is staggering. I really admire your willingness to make yourself vulnerable to explain something important. The fact that anyone would come here as a game, to hurt, manipulate, or take advantage, makes me downright angry. This place is such a haven, even for me as an NT partner. I can now understand Gomendosi's scepticism of Nadador and me, as I never realised people had come here with bad intentions.

And at the end of all this I will make it very clear that this is just my opinion. I have no training, it is based on observation and experience only.

But none of this really changes my answer to Gomendosi, that the difference between all those words were the presence or absence of a power struggle by one of the parties, however blatant or hidden the power struggle is.

Of course. It's understood that this is your personal perspective. A very thoughtful one, if I may say so. And it rings true.

Just know this, about me, re power struggles. I'm not "in it to win it" when I discuss or debate something. Like most other members here, my object is to learn, share, and understand. The 800 pound gorilla in the room, of course, is my pointed defense of my partner on the Seinfeld thread. That may have appeared as an attempt to wield power in the dialogue, but it was actually something you seem to be able to relate to: An attempt to be heard and accepted. More accurately, an attempt on behalf of my absent partner, who nearly always feels discounted for his uncommon position in the Aspie community. As you can imagine, it hurts me to see it happen to him. He has almost nowhere to go with his own need to be heard as an Aspie.

Again, thank you SO MUCH for your generosity, here, Christy. Amazing. I will take a lot away from this exchange. :rose:

Force & Request

Attack & Explain

Discussion & Argument
I guess I'll put my two cents in. For the most part I seen a lot of what appeared to be very surface answers but I think each of these topics go much deeper. Honestly, each of these could be it's on forum on its own.

Force versus request:
As most have said to force someone to do something involves making them do it against their well. Not giving them a choice in the matter. It can imply something negative consequence, and usually does, if the demand is not met. Like others have mentioned it usually comes in the form of a statement rather than a question but it can be a question too.

For example, if you ask someone to do something and they don't do it and you keep repeatedly asking them even when it's become clear from their intentions they don't really want to do it and you keep on and on until they finally give in, that's forcing someone to do something. You are bypassing their own will and simply wearing them down until you make them do what you want. This is a much more passive form of forcing someone to do something but it still forcing them.

A request on the other hand has no consequence attached to doing or not doing something. Or at least no negative consequences for someone if they choose not to do it. The difference is that even if a person refuses and you ask again at some point the matter will be dropped when it becomes clear that that person doesn't want to acknowledge your request. How many times can or should and request be made? Well, that depends on the person.

Now onto attacking someone versus explaining:

Basically, attacking someone involves harsh criticism of person or something they've done without providing any possible solutions for how to improve. Often times but not always, attacking someone involves belittling them putting them down insulting them without any explanation for why they are being criticized or how they can change.

Explaining on the other hand can involve harsh criticism, though it doesn't need to be, however it also provides suggestions on how to fix the problem. It's usually directed at the problem at hand and not at the person. This area can get a bit difficult because some people don't take criticism well. And even when you aren't attacking them they'll accuse you of attacking them. So that is one thing to keep in mind. Unfortunately, the line isn't always straight and clear to see.

Discussions versus argument can be the most difficult. This is because people have different ideas of what qualifies as a discussion versus an argument and the word argument itself has multiple meanings. Perhaps it would help to specify what kind of argument are you talking about? An argument can be the same as a discussion based on the context, such as a debate. I am assuming in this case you mean as in a fight. Simply put, I discussion is an exchange of thoughts and ideas. However discussion is a rather vague term itself because it can include arguments. The two aren't necessarily opposites that you can compare them like this. an argument can be the same thing as a discussion but usually it refers to a much more intense and sometimes a heated discussion. A general discussion may meander to various topics while an argument is focused on a specific issue and about proving a certain point regarding that issue. Even in terms of a fight, the definition I give up an argument in the previous sentence would fall under this. Put simply a fight is just that two sides are trying to make their point known and trying to prove that their point is better or correct. The difference between in a fight and a debate is simply that in the debate logical answers must be given to support ones proposition whereas in a fight there's a lot less logic involved put simply.

I hope that helps to clarify.

Last edited:

Force & Request

Attack & Explain

Discussion & Argument
My personal opinions:

Force vs. Request

Force - to use verbal threats, physical violence or coercion to gain compliance from the other person or party. Threats of injury or blackmail could be used here (John forced the stranger to move his car out of his way, yelling and shaking his fist at him).

Request - the act of politely asking someone to do a favor, a task, or give something of value (My boss gave me a request for a cigarette list). Also a verb: to ask of someone a favor, a task or something of value (Mike requested Jim
that he fix his car).

Attack vs. Explain

Attack - in this case, to insult, ridicule or show contempt for another's question or statement (such as "Your question is so -------- !" or "Your reply is so crazy it makes no sense..." AND GIVE NO GOOD REASON AS TO WHY YOU THINK OR FEEL THAT WAY. Personal insults and ridicule could be considered personal attacks.

Explain - to make your point clearer to the hearer or to give the meaning of something the other person does not understand. Also to give more details to the point you are making to the other person. Basically, it's making yourself more understandable. And doing so politely!

Discussion vs. Argument

Discussion - a civil exchange about a topic between two people or groups. No insults, threats or intimidation would be tolerated in a real discussion (e.g. a discussion about autism). Reasoning, questions, and answers are often part of a true discussion.

Argument - a heated exchange often with insults, personal attacks, and other below-the-belt tactics. But, sometimes, an argument can be a point made in favour of one's opinion (like an argument in favour of lowering taxes).

Well, here are my personal opinions. I did not consult a dictionary for these definitions. I do hope, though, that I am in the right direction. Of course others can add new angles to these explanations.

New Threads

Top Bottom