• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Perceived Discrimination vs Actual Discrimination

KevinMao133

Let’s talk about something here

Perceived discrimination vs actual discrimination… what’s the difference here or are there differences

To me the difference is how one view themselves vs how the world view themselves. I don’t know too much about it as I don’t want to read too much into it

Feel free to comment. Also as a visible minority living in a white dominant country, have you guys experienced racism before? If yes, how did you or how are you coping with it

One's perceptions of any discrimination that is happening could either be entirely real, partly true, or fiction, depending on if one's judgment was clouded at the time, the actual thing that happened that may or not be discriminatory, or as based on the intent, action, inaction or behavior of the other which could be misinterpreted or real on the surface or by not learning or learning more.

Sometimes though discrimination will be obvious, if the worse treatment seems clear from any rude, offensive or harsh spoken words, expressions, postures, or actions showing being singled out because of race, age, disability, sex, nationality, religion, etc.

Other times discrimination can still occur if it is hidden more or seems less apparent on the surface, like if that offender with harsh views or generalizations keeps silent, avoids that other or other class, or votes against such or wishes bad things to happen to them based on quick judgement or inspection, etc.

But let's not overlook discrimination can occur when those with real or perceived less social status standing are involved, too, like for poor persons who can be pushed down further by those in power, or assumed by society as less able or worthy, and discrimination can occur within the race, for instance as well, if one does not conform to the stereotyped image there or to their culture norms.

So whether the discrimination is real or perceived may depend on one's perception, if it is not blatant. Rare though will anyone admit they discriminate. They will try to justify their worse treatment of the other or put that other on the defense to take away from their own prejudicial views and unfair beliefs or actions. It happens way more than advertised. I know that, either one time occurrences or more, but a pattern of such behavior will be harder to deny or defend against.

In our case, my wife seemed at least initially discriminated against by a professional, from their comments during a matter assuming the way my wife looked (Asian descent) and because of her young age and friendly and talkative nature at that time she could not be disabled so they treated her unfairly after learning such by a look of disgust and immediate avoidance of her and talking to me that I picked up on.

It is surprising though that my wife does not get much other noticeable discrimination though in this almost entirely white community. Perhaps it is because I am white and so seems our children on the surface. Maybe those others are more afraid to say or do something stupid then, knowing I would likely call them out on it, as her and I are often together with the children when she goes out. She feels more harm will occur if I am not there.

Discrimination likely occurs a lot for mixed couples of different race or nationality too, but I have not heard of it against us yet from the general public. I know my wife's mother was against our marriage though, but too bad she could not stop it. She was very prejudicial as seen by her many statements during the early stages of the relationship. I tuned her out or sometimes would confront her.

Last edited:
A few things I collected recently
Screenshot_20230228-115251.png
Screenshot_20230228-115518.png

Screenshot_20230228-115720.png

Screenshot_20230228-115646.png

Also as a visible minority living in a white dominant country, have you guys experienced racism before? If yes, how did you or how are you coping with it

Yes.
Perceived, at times, yes, definitely. As people of certain ethnic groups we are more sensitive to perceived racism. But also actual (like the person stating something that is actually racist.)
It’s kind of tricky for me since I am “white passing” as a dark haired, but lighter skinned Latina. So sometimes people who think I’m white, will say things in front of me that are offensive to Latinos.

I live in a country (and a region) that is generally unfriendly towards Hispanics and Latinos (and basically anyone who speaks better Spanish than English) although our racial group makes up a sizable portion of the population.

This is something I would like to elaborate more on, but I don’t want to risk it being outside of forum guidelines and I don’t want to step on anyone’s toes either.

We have a lot of racism in Australia but it's nowhere near as one sided as a lot of people think.

White Australians are called "skips" and many groups show very little tolerance towards us. Most of the anti asian sentiments in Australia come from people with Italian or Greek backgrounds.

In Melbourne several football clubs were forced by the courts to change their names because there were too many fights between Macedonian Greeks and Helenic Greeks.

And of course the different aboriginal peoples had their own system of racism long before white man ever came here and I've seen a lot of real nastiness between different groups.

We have a lot of racism in Australia but it's nowhere near as one sided as a lot of people think.

White Australians are called "skips" and many groups show very little tolerance towards us. Most of the anti asian sentiments in Australia come from people with Italian or Greek backgrounds.

In Melbourne several football clubs were forced by the courts to change their names because there were too many fights between Macedonian Greeks and Helenic Greeks.

And of course the different aboriginal peoples had their own system of racism long before white man ever came here and I've seen a lot of real nastiness between different groups.

In Canada, the anti Asian hate comes from everybody. They say they only hate the Chinese and they call us all kinds of names

Had enough but there isn’t a thing we can do

In Canada, the anti Asian hate comes from everybody. They say they only hate the Chinese and they call us all kinds of names

Had enough but there isn’t a thing we can do

Unfortunately, Asians face a lot of prejudice where I’m from as well.
I live in an area that is very intolerant towards immigrants and people of color, and it’s awful.

I feel so bad for how people treat Chinese immigrants here and I’m sorry it’s like that in Canada.
I have an irl friend who is Chinese, and my neighbors a few doors down are Chinese. They’re just people, like everyone else, so I treat them like everyone else. I treat Black, white, Asian, male, female, LGBTQ people, immigrants, homeless people, disabled people, and everyone else the same way… like human beings. And with empathy.
At the end of the day, we’re all just people trying to live our lives. No sense in hating each other.

Unfortunately, Asians face a lot of prejudice where I’m from as well.
I live in an area that is very intolerant towards immigrants and people of color, and it’s awful.

I feel so bad for how people treat Chinese immigrants here and I’m sorry it’s like that in Canada.
I have an irl friend who is Chinese, and my neighbors a few doors down are Chinese. They’re just people, like everyone else, so I treat them like everyone else. I treat Black, white, Asian, male, female, LGBTQ people, immigrants, homeless people, disabled people, and everyone else the same way… like human beings. And with empathy.
At the end of the day, we’re all just people trying to live our lives. No sense in hating each other.

Absolutely. I can understand Russians and the obstacles they face

It’s crazy how whenever they mention us, they tie us with our government. With other cultures, they don’t

China has a real culture, authentic too. Also they assume everyone like the CCP. Not true at all. The reality is nothing like it seems

Feel free to comment. Also as a visible minority living in a white dominant country, have you guys experienced racism before? If yes, how did you or how are you coping with it
I'm an expat living in a foreign county who is visibly different from the local population so yes, I have experienced racism. Mostly it's not overt racism, but being treated a bit different because "she's not one of us". People have preconceived ideas about people from my country - stereotypes, not necessarily negative but it can be annoying. When they see me, they see a country and not a person, and they make assumptions about me based on that stereotype of my country. I also sometimes get asked, "What are you?" for which my standard answer is "A human being. What about you?"

I once got told by someone to go back to my country because I asked him not to smoke next to me in a store I was browsing in. Not nice.

I'm an expat living in a foreign county who is visibly different from the local population so yes, I have experienced racism. Mostly it's not overt racism, but being treated a bit different because "she's not one of us". People have preconceived ideas about people from my country - stereotypes, not necessarily negative but it can be annoying. When they see me, they see a country and not a person, and they make assumptions about me based on that stereotype of my country. I also sometimes get asked, "What are you?" for which my standard answer is "A human being. What about you?"

I once got told by someone to go back to my country because I asked him not to smoke next to me in a store I was browsing in. Not nice.

same. Whenever someone asks me where am I from, I just lie, just to cover up

if I get annoyed, I might ask a question like does it matter or why do you care but most times I don’t get annoyed

There was a lovely advert on TV here when I was growing up, I can't remember what they were advertising but in the advert the white father asks a little asian girl where she's from and she said "Ballarat.". (large country town in Australia)

We survived only 35/100 years of war, we did come out of slavery and become a country independent from Germany, but to this day their is very little respekt for our sovereignty.
Imagine Oktoberfest is actually Libras birthday and taurus barged through, horns down....we don't eat pork so it is offensive that pork knuckles are served at Oktoberfest.
Victor (such a big teddy bear) but ye he is right, attempting to dispute lopsided EU political outnumbered approaches is pessimistic!
If we went peacefully to state Netherlands is large blue territory on map, Mediterranean is red. Germany must stay inland far away from us and ottoman land was around balkins....nope they won't listen. Greed or fascism?
Austria and Germany can lock Schengen visa, we can try peacefully tie economic deal with Romania and Bulgaria but doubtful will not try to keep us down.
During peace talks after 6 months, Austria was told to stop having Russia do military service and take fascist blame but won't. Sadly Russia is even blamed for communist China when clearly it's Germany.

New Threads

Top Bottom