• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

People don't like me not putting them in a box

Wolfgangus Faldestolius

Little notes from an armchair
People don't like me not pigeon holing them.

I grew up thinking everybody is different from each other.

You can't solve a button pushing problem wholly within the button pushing system (Godel's theorem).

Yes non-Autistic people have a great attachment to their socio-cultural identities, there’s actually an article on this that I’d share with you if it weren’t so late now; it really opened my eyes to a lot of things when I read that.

People don't like me not pigeon holing them.

I grew up thinking everybody is different from each other.

You can't solve a button pushing problem wholly within the button pushing system (Godel's theorem).

Can you explain a bit more what you mean? I think most people can be pigeonholed, whether they’re autistic or not, but I’ve never met anyone who wanted to be. Most want to think of themselves as special and unique.

No they actually don't. There is a done thing which is the way they do it - and they nearly all do. They feel exposed by imagination. I am an archaeologist and I turn up what is to be turned up by my plough and harrow: not by prying, just by self expressing me (and mostly pretty quietly) but the "remarks" are obviously intended to be hurtful. This is because thinking for me is an effort I am willing to make, since I have learned and grown, and found that life doesn't work for me if I don't, whereas for them thinking wasn't even conceived as existent at all (and indeed that is official propaganda now). I am the shocking ghost in brilliant daylight: a human being!

Can you explain a bit more what you mean? I think most people can be pigeonholed, whether they’re autistic or not, but I’ve never met anyone who wanted to be. Most want to think of themselves as special and unique.
I don't even know what pigeon holing means.

pigeon holing
Offices used to have rows and columns of open fronted boxes like the ones pigeons fly in & out of, for categorising paperwork. Postal delivery offices still have them.
Another metaphor would be, people don't like me not recognising their ball park (as a person - I'm not discussing actions we can all take in specific circumstances), and they don't like me not being in one they would bother to recognise. This is about their recognising (or not) body language and usage of ideas, imagination and reasoning; manner of functioning.
General education has been poor for a long time but I would have benefitted from knowing these concepts before I was 42.
Donna Williams (an author I've found vivid, despite me and she having been like chalk and cheese as youngsters) has written about this sort of thing.

The pigeon hole is an open fronted area for the pigeon to rest\preen in then a larger door is opened so they can fly away and return if a human has more than one pigeon they would have pigeon holes ,some hotels have them to hold messages ,small items ,its a means of controlling whatever sentient being is controlled .

upload_2022-2-19_10-47-6.jpeg
images
images

Definition of PIGEONHOLE

upload_2022-2-19_11-19-59.png

I always feel like l am standing outside in organizations and looking in at the group mindset and that l always have autonomy 24/7. So this presents problems always. This is my identity. But l always felt it came from a reptilian need of survival. That l am wired closer to the need to survive over every other need which means if l am classified then it invokes my biases that interfere with me not continually assessing the threat of living. It's not a life or death, it's my mind on autopilot constantly assessing the threats to my will-being. No. It's not tiring to me at all. It's truly who l am. Maybe my problem is that l don't feel the need to identify with this or that. And as the OP, l don't pigeonhole.

Last edited:
Yes non-Autistic people have a great attachment to their socio-cultural identities, there’s actually an article on this that I’d share with you if it weren’t so late now; it really opened my eyes to a lot of things when I read that.

Autistic people become attached to the label “autistic,” don’t you think? We’re just as prone to identity-seeking. Look at your profile picture, for instance...you’re clearly very attached to the label “Catholic.”

I really don’t think being autistic makes someone more special or intelligent. Not at all. We just may label ourselves differently because we have social and communication deficits that have caused many of us to feel separate from most people. I mean, look at how relieved so many of us become when we’re diagnosed with autism. It’s at least partly to do with finally having a pigeon-holeable identity, finally feeling part of a group.

I was both sad and relieved but I never felt like part of a group or having an identity. I don`t think I have ever felt like a part of a group. I was just relived because I had wondered for so long what was wrong. And I finally found out, I didn`t have to wonder anymore.

I definitely think of “autistic” as a huge part of my identity. Most autistic people would definitely mention autism when describing themselves, don’t you think? And I don’t think I’d be on this forum if I weren’t seeking “camaraderie” and group support with other autistic people.

I actually came to this site trying to understand someone else. So l like this site for help with dealing with certain things that happens to us here. Then l realized that l identify with many issues here. But telling people about this is met with a huge amount of stigma, which l already suffer from stigma for other reasons, so l will pass on pigeon-hole -ing myself more. Lol

Autistic people become attached to the label “autistic,” don’t you think? We’re just as prone to identity-seeking. Look at your profile picture, for instance...you’re clearly very attached to the label “Catholic.”

I really don’t think being autistic makes someone more special or intelligent. Not at all. We just may label ourselves differently because we have social and communication deficits that have caused many of us to feel separate from most people. I mean, look at how relieved so many of us become when we’re diagnosed with autism. It’s at least partly to do with finally having a pigeon-holeable identity, finally feeling part of a group.
Yeah but being Catholic and/or Autistic is not the same thing as being say, Native American, or Slavic. I know plenty of fellow-"catholics" who put much more emphasis over being European, White American or "Western" than being Catholic; heck I even know some people who have gone as far as try and make the case that Christ, a light-brown skin Levantine Man, was actually somehow European!

... reptilian ...
Your need is more than reptilian, it is noble. Most people rush into everything and don't notice they have been demeaned.
This can happen to people with ASC who try to "fit in", it happened to me for periods on and off.
But I always felt everyone else was unique and they don't seem to want to be.

New Threads

Top Bottom