• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Paradoxical reactions to Benzos

Does anybody else get a paradoxical reaction to benzos - like valium or xanax. Benzos make me agitated - my daughter too.

Was reading hints that may be more frequent in ASD - but didn't find much in the way of info...

Looking up benzos they appear to be similar enough in action to opioids. I'm only on kratom now, high dose at that but I'm working on it even though I know I'm not quitting for good since I'm too dysfunctional without it. But with downers in general it seems there is room for agitation at the wrong times and with me I find it's because when I'm in such a peaceful space I just want to be left alone since that peace is such a special place for me I otherwise never get when I haven't had my dose. I think it's not as much of an effect of the drug itself but just a revealing of something going on inside of you and with users of any kind of downers things like this could be pretty common. Because when I'm left alone even if I go for a walk and am in public that doesn't happen and I'm content as can be.

It just takes more to knock me out. I have taken bezos a few times when prescribed but I always need more than one dose. I have to be so out of it I can't stand or I will still find a way to have a panic attack. I don't like how they make me feel anyway so I don't take them at all now. I find that with many things besides benzos (like lithium or alcohol) don't affect me until very high doses. I have had pharmacies refuse to fill my meds since the dose was so high but anything lower I would be below a therapeutic level.

This is a the same reason I have no plans to drink when I get older. I tried out of curiosity when i was younger and I really tried but I hate the taste and when you are 4 oz of vodka in and you feel nothing and your parents never find out even though they are having full conversations with you...you realize maybe it's not your thing.

Also I hate Ativan Valium is better but only cus I just wanna fall asleep. Ativan makes you feel like soup...in a gross way.

I have not been in a postion to try benzos. But I did get a paradoxycal reaction to Zyrtec (allergy medicine). It is supposed to be non drowsy but I found it makes me narcoleptic. I also get sleepy from taking Advil and Aleve.

Benadryl will keep me up all night and so anxious I can't stand it.
Valium makes me feel just ick.
Klonapin made me feel I couldn't breath and so induced a panic attack. Only took two pills to satisfy
a doctor who just knew it would be helpful.

Ativan shots have been given to me before surgery or after when I wake up in a panic after.
I can't tell it does much of anything. Doesn't even make me sleepy.

Xanax is the only benzo I've found that helps. Just keeps me on an even keel and never had
to increase the dose. Never had any problems or urge to increase the prescribed dose.

Klonapin is a dream pill for me dealing with anxiety. But l am trying to stay pill free. I quit it cold with no side effects. I took Valium in the 80's. That was pretty cool. But to stay pill free is better. Sometimes anxiety and or depression can leave you no choice but pharmaceutical intervention.

I am pretty much resistant to most drugs. I have had surgeries, an emergency room visit for kidney stones and CoVID pain. IV narcotics, demerol, oxycodone, etc....nothing works except ibuprofen,...not Tylenol, not naproxen sodium, nothing. When I was lifting and in the gym,...all those "workout stimulants",...nothing. Most of those "miracle supplements", for this and that,...nothing. Mushrooms,...nothing. It takes ALOT of alcohol to get me even buzzed. I've never been high,...despite my youthful foolish attempts.

I don't have an addictions to anything,...basically because of a lack of response.

New Threads

Top Bottom