• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Overthinking vs strong interests

Shohei79

Can there be a connection between strong interests and overthinking? In such a way that if I or you dont engage in some interest we start to overthink this and that so it becomes psychologically unhealthy for us?

In my view, "overthinking" is going over an issue over and over in my mind, even once the issue has been resolved, or no longer important.
This is not the same as "hyperfocus" on a task, where pleasure and mental stimulation has me doing something, or thinking about it when I am not doing it, for a period of time.

Strong interests are a pleasure, overthinking is a burden. Overthinking produces anxiety and therefore can be unhealthy, whereas focus on a special interest produces calmness and mental stimulation. Special interests are only unhealthy if they become an addiction, or we spend so much time on them that we neglect self care or other obligations.

Interesting. For me, over-thinking means that I worry and over-analyze everything that took place, either in a conversation, a situation, or the future, or anything. I do this without thinking about it or meaning to.

A special interest though is something which captures me without explanation (like Baroque music, for example) and it becomes my purpose. It's different than momentary fascinations, like Red Dead Redemption or a certain food or a book.

... In such a way that if I or you dont engage in some interest we start to overthink this and that so it becomes psychologically unhealthy for us?
I think that could be true. My mind is always spinning on something. If I don't deliberately focus on constructive things, it will go to destructive thoughts.

I am also very aware that my special interests are an escape for me. When I am focused on them, I'm not focused on anxiety-producing thoughts, etc. It's one of the reasons why I go to bed every night thinking about my interests.

I think that we tend to gravitate toward interests that we can hyperfocus on for that reason.

New Threads

Top Bottom