• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Overlooked Skills

Poppet

Yesterday my fiance and I partook in one of the search parties for the missing girl from Charlottesville, VA. I don't know if any of you have heard about this case but it's been in the news in the states and I know it's been on the Daily Mail (UK news) several times...
This happened in my area, so it's quite disturbing to me.

Anyway, what I wanted to talk about was the searching. We didn't find anything, but I felt like a small asset to my search party team because of my amazing sense of smell, attention to detail, thoroughness, non-squeamishness, and lack of interest in socializing. I just wanted to get the job done PERFECTLY.
I know we didn't find anything (because there was nothing to find where we were assigned), but it was nice to feel that my skills were being put to use in a really positive and helpful way. It felt good to shake the sheriff's hand at the end of the day and be thanked for my efforts... Genuinely appreciated.
I feel like so often people like me (I'm assuming here, since I don't even know anyone like me in real life!) get overlooked for their real skills. All the skills I listed off are usually not appreciated in retail, minimum wage jobs, jobs where you're basically there to follow commands but also deal with a lot of social cues that we inevitably miss, and that's what you're chastised for. I've always been the worker that would clean and organize the entire workspace only to be yelled at because I hadn't had a chipper enough attitude towards a customer, or because I didn't just sit around at my post despite there being nothing to attend to. I never understood that about jobs... And I never understood why my skills (which ARE skills) were so unappreciated.

At that search party I felt like my skills were exactly what was needed. I was still looking at everything we passed as we drove back home, just in case...

Anyway. I guess I just wanted to point out that we might not always feel appreciated or understood in the common places of life. But we do have unique gifts and skills that other people just don't. And I think that's worth being proud of.

If you do not mind that kind of work there is always demand for good crime scene investigators, the draw back being you will always be looking over details at the scenes of crimes where bad things happened. The work pays pretty well too since they have too pay well to keep people doing it due to seeing lots of sick ****.

If you do not mind that kind of work there is always demand for good crime scene investigators, the draw back being you will always be looking over details at the scenes of crimes where bad things happened. The work pays pretty well too since they have too pay well to keep people doing it due to seeing lots of sick ****.
I wanted to be a forensic scientist for a few years when I first started college, but I had really poor instructions on how college worked and I screwed a lot up before even getting started... I might look into getting back into that if I go back to school (I graduated in '11 with an associates in psych but want to go back), especially now that I could seek out special student services for my issues...
I think it would be hard to see that kind of thing every day, so I don't know if I could do it. But out of all the people in the world, I am definitely more capable than most at dealing with seeing gore and hearing about the sad stories... Criminology (specifically serial killers) is one of my interests, but I get overwhelmed by emotions, so I'm not sure if I could handle the sadness it would bring, being apart of all of that in real life as opposed to just learning about it. I don't like seeing innocent people in pain, physical or emotional...
I do love a good mystery though.
So great suggestion! I'm right there with you.

No shame in being a human bloodhound. Perhaps there is also the option of being a park ranger or outdoor researcher or something?

Great topic, Poppet. I agree, the skill sets we have as Aspies are definitely undervalued in this society, and certainly in most jobs. Computers have taken away a lot of the "attention to detail" work in which I used to find satisfaction (i.e. accounting). I'm self-employed because I don't feel I would be appreciated in the current workforce. Speed is valued more than accuracy, and I am not built that way. Great suggestion by Randomperson though. Crime scene investigation would be right up my alley.

Great topic, Poppet. I agree, the skill sets we have as Aspies are definitely undervalued in this society, and certainly in most jobs. Computers have taken away a lot of the "attention to detail" work in which I used to find satisfaction (i.e. accounting). I'm self-employed because I don't feel I would be appreciated in the current workforce. Speed is valued more than accuracy, and I am not built that way. Great suggestion by Randomperson though. Crime scene investigation would be right up my alley.
Exactly, I completely agree. I wonder how many aspies would be amazing at detective work actually! Sherlock Holmes types. :smilecat:

New Threads

Top Bottom