• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Out of balance gut and the link to a thousand other things...

Main thing with pro-biotics are to look for the types that contain many millions of the bacteria, 90 million is a good amount, refrigerated, and some that are formulated to make it past the stomach acids into the gut where you need them.
Yogurts and Kiefer won't get there. Stomach acids destroy them before they can do their thing.

I don't care much for dairy products either.
Not even the nut milks. I do like Rice milk.

There is a reverse way of creating good gut bacteria by destroying the bad and keeping things in balance.
I have found Inulin (derivative from chicory) to be helpful.
It has no taste and dissolves instantly in a hot beverage.
It has anti-inflamatory effects.
Anything that reduces inflammation naturally helps the whole body.
These include things like tumeric in capsules, all EFAs
from either good quality fish oil (my preference is SuperiOmega because it has no reflux after taste) or flaxseed oil capsules.
Bromelain and or Betaine, ( enzymes from pineapple and beets), kyolic garlic caps, spirulina, and Co-Q10.
I wouldn't rush into taking them all at once.
Try one of them, see if there is improvment then add another.
Of course I have to add the ask your doctor or pharmacist first thing as the pharmaceutical law so no one can say I'm subscribing.

I also find the herbal teas Yogi brand- Egyptian Licorice and Ginger helpful.

Bottom line: Probiotic caps that are designed to get past the stomach and anti-inflammatory supplements.

Thank you that is a really good list... I already do fish oil, plus I eat quite a lot of fish . (salmon mainly). I do the tumeric. Inulin is something I have never heard of and I think might be a good try.

Also Street and you mentioned Spirulina... sounds like a lot of good stuff. : )

Cold-ish water is easier to keep down.
-----
@Chance Try Bifa-15, from Eden Company. It is a probiotic supplement. Tasty little tiny 2.4 mm coated capsules (light citrus) that you swallow and are carried past the stomach to the gut.
They aren't cheap. But after all those anti-biotics you said you've put into your system, the Bifa-15 will re-populate your gut with the 'good guys.'

Okay sounds good... Lots of good information... thank you all... : )

Why are you taking so many antibiotics? I mean, there are legitimate reasons to take them, but I'm curious why for "basically your whole life"... do you have an immune deficiency or something?

My allergies are so bad that they often turn into sinus infections, Upper Respiratory Infections, or Bronchitis, and twice Atypical Pneumonia Or "walking Pneumonia." I did, or tried to do, the allergy scratch test thing twice. SPD just gets so out of hand I just cant make it through it. I feel bad for it, but with people touching me, and scratching me, and putting stuff on it that feels like 3rd degree burns taking place I just come off the table. Plus the shots I just have lots of trouble with. I have this bazaar fear of needles because of a very bad experience that was terrifying at the time. I know it sounds like I'm a baby... I get that, but tell my skin and my head that.

I just had to take antibiotics for the tooth i destroyed grinding my teeth. It got infected and they are going to pull it. So I just came off 2 rounds of antibiotics one for Upper respiratory infection and then the tooth thing... I know they are not good for me, but not really sure what other options I have right now, or ever have had really. I know it has my already out of whack stomach way more out of whack then usual, so I'm just digging for the best I can find. : )

don't eat too much salmon it's a purine ( purines cause gout and a buildup of uric acid )like cheese and shrimp ,eat different sea and river fish.
don't eat albacore tuna too much Mercury .

Have you had a stool sample tested? You're not too specific on the type of intestinal trouble you're having (nor do I need you to be, you're not my patient) but antibiotics can cause your gut bacteria to be so unbalanced that 1 type of bacteria mostly takes over. This would be Clostridium difficile, a bacteria that can cause inflammation of the lining of your colon along with all the pleasantries that come with that. If left untreated, this can be dangerous to your health.

Ironically, colitis due to Clostridium typically needs to be treated with a course of antibiotics, or, in severe cases, the fecal transplant as mentioned before.

A lot of what you have consumed through your whole life was living ,meat was once a living
certain amount of faecal matter is allowed to be present in your food

Oh geez thats... Well its just gross... : )

The Autoimmune Protocol diet might be the key to restoring your gastrointestinal balance. I've been doing it for about a week now and seem to have a much quieter gut already.

These ladies seem to have a very sane and insightful program! With all my crazy allergy issues I might be doing this to myself in some food I haven't figured that messes with me. In my own twisted way I have figured out some of them. Any Pork is like straight up near deadly poison, Most beans in large servings, Pecans (bad), most dairy, wheat, raw tomatoes (cooked seems to be okay???), lettuce will not digest-nasty stomach cramps soon after consumption.

I am basically all for a Paleo style diet. At home I can do real good with a mild version of it. I need to get better at planning around when I cant be at home (which is sometimes often). I don't like explaining or talking about my problems when around others. So sometimes I will eat something without questioning it (unless I suspect PORK) and I wind up paying for it for days (as I did Christmas)... I just have this thing about not wanting people to treat me special, not wanting people to pity me, not wanting people to think there is more wrong with me than there already is.

On here I am often open (and even get myself into trouble), but in real life not so much at all. It just gets so complicated and misconstrued so easy. Thank you for the article.

Thank all of you for your suggestions. It seems I am certainly not alone in this. It seems that many times if my stomach was not upset, my body and mind would not be upset. This is kind of my goal to find a balance in all this. I know it can be done and I am willing to take the time to try and figure it out.

These ladies seem to have a very sane and insightful program! With all my crazy allergy issues I might be doing this to myself in some food I haven't figured that messes with me. In my own twisted way I have figured out some of them. Any Pork is like straight up near deadly poison, Most beans in large servings, Pecans (bad), most dairy, wheat, raw tomatoes (cooked seems to be okay???), lettuce will not digest-nasty stomach cramps soon after consumption.

I am basically all for a Paleo style diet. At home I can do real good with a mild version of it. I need to get better at planning around when I cant be at home (which is sometimes often). I don't like explaining or talking about my problems when around others. So sometimes I will eat something without questioning it (unless I suspect PORK) and I wind up paying for it for days (as I did Christmas)... I just have this thing about not wanting people to treat me special, not wanting people to pity me, not wanting people to think there is more wrong with me than there already is.

On here I am often open (and even get myself into trouble), but in real life not so much at all. It just gets so complicated and misconstrued so easy. Thank you for the article.
try a kosher diet if a Jewish person is observant they usually become vegetarian or vegan.The problem with the paleo diet is it doesn't advocate any dairy produce and it's hard to get the minerals and vitamins you need if you don't have dairy produce ,supplements are just not as potent .
it also discourages legumes which humans need as part of a balanced diet and also discourages grains which we also need
The good thing about a kosher diet is you fast at different times of the year which rids you of toxins.

I have often wondered that if humans had not "modified" and man-ipulated our food sources to produce faster growing foods if this would not be such a huge issue. I just think maybe we have tampered with stuff so much that its all more or less not so good for us anymore.

In a time not long ago, food was healthy and simple and people mostly were not even having to worry over foods they ate. So in my ever digging mind where have all the allergies and the food sensitivities came from? My guess is commercialization, fast foods, sugars, GMO, and much more.

If were able to roll back this process to old style simple foods would the problems still exist?

I am all for Farm-to-Fork... We were doing real good with that here for a while and I know I was feeling better. We had a plan where we just raise a lot of one or two things and share them with others doing the same. Suddenly in our sharing we have lots of good garden food. I also am very fortunate to be able to always have farm eggs, chicken, and local grass fed beef.

It takes lots of effort and many people just don't seem to have the time. I am going to try really hard this Spring to get that rolling again. 2017 just sucked basically all the way around. It was a bad weather year and just a crappy year that I am glad to see gone. 2018 needs to be a good year, and I want to help it all I can.

have often wondered that if humans had not "modified" and man-ipulated our food sources to produce faster growing foods if this would not be such a huge issue. I just think maybe we have tampered with stuff so much that its all more

Well one book I read seemed to think that humans were really just used by wheat so that it could propagate itself.

Humans were far healthier when they were hunter gatherers - seasonality, variety of produce... fitness

Now, in thrall to wheat while it replicates itself.

Upside : innovation from staying in one place being less hungry if not deficient in minerals and vitamins

This thread has me thinking on this the last few days. Off I went as usual to read various informative webpages.

One of the most succinct was this one:
7 Habits That May Actually Change The Brain, According To Science

Even better:
An entertaining and really excellent and short book on how our inner workings are intrinsic to our total health is The Gut, by Giulia Enders.

Here is a link to a NYTimes article about it:
A German Writer Translates a Puzzling Illness Into a Best-Selling Book

Wow the NYT article was interesting and I bet her book is great for anyone with intestinal issues.

Well one book I read seemed to think that humans were really just used by wheat so that it could propagate itself.

Is wheat all that adaptive? Is there a wheat survival collective? I can understand it with certain plants, who change and adapt to remain immortal, suppose it may include many or all types.

Last edited:
Is wheat all that adaptive? Is there a wheat survival brain? I can understand it with certain plants, who choose and adapt to remain immortal, suppose it may include many or all types.

The
humans did the adaptation,
So the wheat,despite being inherently lazy, resulted in the end of the human hunter gatherer society for the majority of humanity.
Humans did the hard work. Wheat only had to be tasty and indigestible enough so that the seeds started growing nearer to human settlements ie near the toilets...

I think the book was sapiens, and i guess mine or his interpretation was a bit tongue in cheek...

But the human diet changed considerably and that lack of variety helped with the proliferation of disease then and now.

resulted in the end of the human hunter gatherer society for the majority of humanity.

For indigenous peoples it was corn, squash and beans, in the americas, that's what caused them to settle part of the year in one place, where they grew it, the rest of the time they fished or hunted. They didn't use wheat, until european settlement. More likely wild rice seasonally and corn made into flour.

For indigenous peoples it was corn, squash and beans, in the americas, that's what caused them to settle part of the year in one place, where they grew it, the rest of the time they fished or hunted. They didn't use wheat, until european settlement. More likely wild rice seasonally and corn made into flour.

I think around the fertile crescent, that big melting pot back in the day.

Enkidu all that

This thread has me thinking on this the last few days. Off I went as usual to read various informative webpages.

One of the most succinct was this one:
7 Habits That May Actually Change The Brain, According To Science

Even better:
An entertaining and really excellent and short book on how our inner workings are intrinsic to our total health is The Gut, by Giulia Enders.

Here is a link to a NYTimes article about it:
A German Writer Translates a Puzzling Illness Into a Best-Selling Book

Thats a super good article... I like it, thank you for sharing it.

There is considerable evidence that wheat can be problematical for many people, and this became especially so in the 1970's, when the short-stalked, high protein wheat hybrid was developed; containing more of the problematical substances than ever before.

I went gluten free and got relief from my arthritic hands, better digestion, dropped a few pounds that needed to be dropped, and got better sleep. And since I was eating low carb at the time, I wasn't even eating that much gluten at all!

So if you are curious about what it might do for you, it has to be a long period, say, 30 days gluten free, to see if losing it helps you.

New Threads

Top Bottom