• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

other socially awkward people

selena

Has anyone else noticed there are PLENTY of socially awkward people out there, who at a glance seem normal?

I do want to note that my idea of "socially awkward "is based on my own awkwardness, which comes in the form of being unusually quiet and not knowing how to respond in real time (I kind of get away with this at work because I don't really have to interact with anyone and most people are impressed enough with the paperwork I've produced that they can overlook my obvious defects). But I've noticed other employees don't have it down either, even if they don't seem to have a problem with talking or carrying conversations or making friends. For example, there's one who would gripe about personal issues on the phone in front of everyone instead of excusing herself, one who'd mention TMI things like her bowel movements, one who'd randomly place unwanted gifts on your desk like a stalker, and so on and so forth (it also just occurred to me that these people are women--coincidence?).

I guess what I'm trying to say is... are we just overthinking it? Are most people broken in their own way? (Or conversely, are these people probably also on the spectrum? hm.)

Lots of people are broken in their own way, yes. And social anxiety doesn't mean much in terms of them possibly having ASD or not; kind of a gross generalization if you ask me.

I think that social anxiety and social awkwardness is a spectrum of itself, and most people experience these to some degree. Most people get nervous when having to speak in public, many people get anxious when meeting new people or find certain social situations awkward/difficult, without being autistic.

A lot of what you described was impoliteness, which is definitely common. It also depends on the age group you're dealing with.

There is a generalization that "NTs" are all good at socializing and able to act "normal". I think many who view it that way overlook the "oddballs" of which there are many.

All the prescription meds for anxiety, depression and other psychological and mental disorders are consumed by far more "NTs" than those on the autism spectrum. If we were the only ones who needed any of those kinds of meds, the market for them would extremely smaller than what it is.

I agree that 'over thinking' and analysing interactions can make N/D people feel we are odd balls and rubbish at interactions, plus if you declare your Autism it can give N/T peeps permission to apply negative labels and discriminate/stereotype.

Yes I agree that there are all sorts of brash, clueless, etc, socially awkward people out there, but I can't stop giggling whenever people mention bowel movements. :D

Yeah, that's overthinking it.

If you want a better chance at making and keeping friends, stop wondering whether or not they are autistic and let people be as they are. Unless they happen to rub you or others the wrong way, but other than that let them be.

Last edited:
I think you have the makings of a comedy series at your workplace, one of those funny yet poignant series. You could write it.

New Threads

Top Bottom