• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Order vs intellectual challanges

Gizbar

I got this problem with trying to manage two different traits. On one hand I like to know beforehand whats waiting next day and feel ok only if I wake up wihout surprises. On the other hand I hate monotone repeted working. At my work I've got some well defined responsibilities like computer support, photo archive management, and I'm also responsible for checking the working environment and helping my collegues with health issues.

When I go to work I allways need a plan for the day. Otherwise there would be to much anxiety to handle. I have some routines that give me comfort. But many days my collegues comes with problems they wish me to solve. That could be computer or network issues, personal problems, and there is a lot of planning to be done. They show up at my door or I hear them call my name for assistance. I feel valued but also end up exhausted after half a day (I work 50%).

I have thought about talking to my boss about slimming my responsibility list but then I fear I wouldn't get that intellectual challange I need. I fear getting bored. All this is an equation I can't solve and nothing I can discuss with my collegues as they this far have shown they don't understand what autism is. They know I'm autistic.

Some thoughts about this? I need advice about how to find balance in all of this.

Sounds like the duality of ADHD and autism. Challenge and interest verses the stability of routine.

As an HDAutistic I certainly understand the paradox, but I also work frontside retail at a bookshop, so I have a happy medium of routine and challenges.

The mental exhaustion and anxiety is a common consequence of being autistic and working. I am under the impression that co-workers and employers do not have any ability to empathize with our situation,...nor do they really care. As most folks within the workplace are far more concerned with productivity than mental health limitations, and are quick to pass judgement and complain when we appear to be having "failings" of any sort.

1. In order to pace myself I will take random "mini breaks" throughout the day,...those 5-10 minutes in a restroom, locker room, break room to grab a small snack, a drink of water,...some meditative relaxation to clear my head,...then back at it before people notice. If you are smart, you can gain better focus on your job and actually be more efficient than your co-workers who love to chit-chat their way through the day.
2. Have a sleep routine and get as much as you reasonably can those nights before work.
3. L-theanine (200-600mg/day) will naturally relax the "hyperexciteability" of those neurotransmitters and help balance the glutamine:GABA balance. The anxiety will drop significantly,...and will let you get better sleep at night as well if your mind isn't racing on some stupid thought.
4. Watch what you eat,...processed sugars are not a good thing for brain function.
5. Anti-oxidants resveratrol (1000mg) and N-acetyl cysteine (NAC) (1000mg) have been shown to help with the oxidant:anti-oxidant imbalances often found within the autistic brain.

I am convinced that the attributes of an autistic brain within the work force is a positive one,...if conditions are correct for that brain to thrive. Stereotypically, our attention to detail and ability to focus can often lead to high quality results. Furthermore, if the job/career also stimulates the "special interest" part of our brain, and triggers a "deep dive" into those topics that are key,...then the autistic individual can very quickly reach expert level,...well above his/her peers. Unfortunately, most workplace environments are not "autism friendly" from a variety of perspectives,...so it is our responsibility to do what is needed to optimize ourselves in order to cope within a sometimes "hostile" environment. If our brains have to function at a "higher level of activity" in order to perform,...then that means it is our responsibility to make those extra efforts towards brain health.

Sounds like the duality of ADHD and autism. Challenge and interest verses the stability of routine.

As an HDAutistic I certainly understand the paradox, but I also work frontside retail at a bookshop, so I have a happy medium of routine and challenges.
I once met a woman working with assessing people with NPF-"symptoms" that told me I could probably have ADHD. I never got it if she meant also or instead.

The mental exhaustion and anxiety is a common consequence of being autistic and working. I am under the impression that co-workers and employers do not have any ability to empathize with our situation,...nor do they really care. As most folks within the workplace are far more concerned with productivity than mental health limitations, and are quick to pass judgement and complain when we appear to be having "failings" of any sort.

1. In order to pace myself I will take random "mini breaks" throughout the day,...those 5-10 minutes in a restroom, locker room, break room to grab a small snack, a drink of water,...some meditative relaxation to clear my head,...then back at it before people notice. If you are smart, you can gain better focus on your job and actually be more efficient than your co-workers who love to chit-chat their way through the day.
2. Have a sleep routine and get as much as you reasonably can those nights before work.
3. L-theanine (200-600mg/day) will naturally relax the "hyperexciteability" of those neurotransmitters and help balance the glutamine:GABA balance. The anxiety will drop significantly,...and will let you get better sleep at night as well if your mind isn't racing on some stupid thought.
4. Watch what you eat,...processed sugars are not a good thing for brain function.
5. Anti-oxidants resveratrol (1000mg) and N-acetyl cysteine (NAC) (1000mg) have been shown to help with the oxidant:anti-oxidant imbalances often found within the autistic brain.

I am convinced that the attributes of an autistic brain within the work force is a positive one,...if conditions are correct for that brain to thrive. Stereotypically, our attention to detail and ability to focus can often lead to high quality results. Furthermore, if the job/career also stimulates the "special interest" part of our brain, and triggers a "deep dive" into those topics that are key,...then the autistic individual can very quickly reach expert level,...well above his/her peers. Unfortunately, most workplace environments are not "autism friendly" from a variety of perspectives,...so it is our responsibility to do what is needed to optimize ourselves in order to cope within a sometimes "hostile" environment. If our brains have to function at a "higher level of activity" in order to perform,...then that means it is our responsibility to make those extra efforts towards brain health.
Thank you for your input. I do the #1 with pretty good frequency, as I also need to drink water periodicaly due to my ostomy. And #2 is something holy for me. Even when feeling at worst I manage to get at least 7-8h sleep. #3 was new facts for me. I´ll look into that. One of my special interests is biochemistry and another metabolism in living entities. #4 is one of my Achilles heels. I know it impacts the quality of my sleep. It happens once or twice a month due to meeting friends. Usually a lot of sweets. #5 I've ditched Resverastrol due to possible interaction with other medication, but I take NAC daylie due to astma. I've read research about it being good for the neuronic functions. And it got nearly zero bi effects that are bad.
I will have a talk with my boss coming week about the reactions I might get out of being distracted at work, having to take notes during meetings (thats a sure meltdown i can mask but feel bad for days after), and to get ok if I feel I must leave social situations when needed. Mostly coffé rests are nice, but sometimes in a small room with more than one talking at a time it can get to much. I need to make him understand that not everything shows outwards what happens inside the brain. I know he's empatic as we work together with helping peole rehabilitate at our workplace.
And I got one collegue that got an autistic diagnosis and one that has not got an assessment but sure got ADHD. It's easyer to help them than to help myself. :-D

New Threads

Top Bottom