• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

One of my pet peeves about autism's mainstream perception

4gottenLoreKali

Metalqueer
V.I.P Member
When news programs do a segment on an autistic individual in a patronizing, condescending way. The show will portray the person as this huge inspiration yet at the same time they do it in such a fake, babying manner, almost like they're not a full person with their own feelings, thoughts, dreams, preferences, etc - just something to bring in ratings. They'll often fixate on getting the voices of the disabled person's parents or family or teachers or caregivers but never seriously entertain the opinions of the person themself. I don't know how to describe it properly but it kinda annoys me. I suppose it beats than outright mocking autistic people or condemning them as being incompetent but it still doesn't feel genuine or humanizing. I've also seen this ridiculous and hokey method of coverage done on people with some other disability like Down Syndrome. And it's not just on news shows, it's something I've see a lot on daytime talk shows and Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. Has anyone else ever noticed this? I can't be the only person who finds this frustrating. Just another reason why I hardly ever watch TV anymore.

Last edited:
Autism Speaks is kind of like this. Claims to speak for autistic people, but never through them!

People seem to forget that advocacy is amplifying and clarifying the voice of someone who otherwise wouldn't be heard, not putting words in their mouth and disseminating them as their own. Autism Speaks reminds me of Bono and his "philanthropic" work in Africa.

Last edited:
They treat us as though being able to function like a regular person is a massive achievement for us. They never even consider that we are equal to NTs to begins with, rather they seem to think of us as being less skilled or helpless compared to them. They basically say; "Look at this poor person who was born with (insert condition here). They can do all of the things that a regular person can, how amazing!"

They treat us as though being able to function like a regular person is a massive achievement for us.

To be fair for a lot of us it can be, or at least it requires a herculean effort. I know that it took me some serious hard work to get to where I'm at, "adulting" in a somewhat acceptable way, and I still have a long way to go. But I get the gist of what you're saying. It's mainly the TV shows fawning over the autistic person that's so cringeworthy to me.

Last edited:
I experience pity and almost a sense of: putting under a microscope and studying; especially when one says: oh, you can't cope with change can you? Or, you get into obsessions, yes?

Ironically enough, as soon as I start getting into my favourite subject, that "pity" disappears and replaced with "fake politness".

Recently, I met this guy and afterwards, I said to my husband: do you know, I honestly think I met another aspie and my husband, whilst out, passed by their home and went into say hi and afterwards concurred that it seemed as if he were talking to me; that there was something "strange" about the man. I saw him and his wife once more and I felt so comfortable talking with him. He gave me the sense of: I have found a friend; someone who is not going to rush off because they can't wait to get away from me. In fact, he seemed to be talking in the rush, which told me that he expected me to want to rush off, which also told me that he experiences it with others too! Such a lovely man and rather amusing, because we both were trying to maintain eye contact, but every now and again, our eyes would slide to one side, in shyness. And what was also wonderful, was he joined in talking about a favourite subject of mine!

...I can't be the only person who finds this frustrating. Just another reason why I hardly ever watch TV anymore.

I'm right up there with you. That's mainstream media in a nutshell - they're only interested in the extremes and attention grabbers; in the case of people on the spectrum, we're not noteworthy unless we're brilliant geniuses or completely helpless, and when this is all they portray on television the public shapes their views around it.

And we wonder why the perception of autism is so horribly skewed...

I agree with you fully. I had a conversation with a friend of mine yesterday, she watches a lot of television with the type of shows you just mentioned. She told me to my face "You know I'm against abortion, but I'd rather have an abortion than have a child with autism because those children will need to be cared for their entire life, and even when they're super smart they're still so unsociable they'll be living at home forever". At least she had the common decency to react horrified when she realized she was saying this to someone she knows is on the spectrum, but what pissed me off most is that this is the view of autism she gets from watching tv.

As you say "something to bring in the ratings".

Look for the money and you'll find the truth.

I ignore them completely. I have nothing to learn from them and I refuse to waste brain cycles getting mad at them. Let them live there lives as the moronic parasites that they've chosen to be.

i remember the old BBC three documentary on autism,that i was asked to take part in through the national autistic society,the documentary team even acknowledged all of my issues-for example they said they would visit me every day for a few months so that they could integrate into my routine so i then acknowledge them.
HOWEVER....i found out that both male and female autism wasnt interesting enough for BBC3 they refused to fund it so the documentary makers changed the theme to 'males with ASD' and suddenly they werent interested in me anymore,but when i saw the documentary it was vile,there was a kid,well a young teen with autism and they played patronising negative music whenever he was on-they were making him out to be low functioning but half of it was the shows own creation and the other half was his mother who clinged to him madly and wouldnt let him do anything independantly-he is now in university [he might have got a degree by now i cant remember what the update said],they played this awful music that made a highly smart romantic but clueless aspie seem stupid [i found out this year he died from an epileptic fit and he was likeable in the documentary].

then they also made 'autistic superstars',a huge show where lots of aspies and a couple of classic autistics showed off their skills,however the guy that was presenting it,i can never remember his name but he has done a number of BBC3 shows about race and stuff-he patronised the hell out of martin finn and carly ryan; the two classic autistics,martin in particular is severely autistic and the way they talked about him and approached him tried to make it out his life was a tragedy.

i think documentaries in the past couple of years have been a bit more progressive and focussed on more able autism so its not all focusing on severe or profound but theres still a lot of patronisation.
i personally loved louis therouxs documentary on autism, with mainly severely autistic children/teens and a few aspies,he didnt pity the children and he spoke to them with respect even though he either would get no response or echolalia.

I'm a big fan of Louis therouix. He's got a great manner and I think he's very moral.

In the main though, unless you're a presenter or an actor, TV wants you to be a freak in a freak show.

You should check out Australian TV, it's the pits, and much worse than the UK. I hated the UK mainstream, but I just refuse to watch Aussie mainstream.

I'm a big fan of Louis therouix. He's got a great manner and I think he's very moral.

In the main though, unless you're a presenter or an actor, TV wants you to be a freak in a freak show.

You should check out Australian TV, it's the pits, and much worse than the UK. I hated the UK mainstream, but I just refuse to watch Aussie mainstream.
oh i agree! the man is awesome, have you seen the autism show he did? i watch all of his shows and i think he has such a great manner with people,even when he interviewed mentally ill killers he wasnt phased by it and spoke to them with respect.

if your fed up with aussie tv you should check out kodi;its free and totally not illegal but what goes on it can breach copyrights it depends how moral you are with it, i use kodi most of the time now,if you want anymore information,just give me a buzz,its not so straight forward but i think you would be pleasantly surprised by a complete install- cant say any further about it on here.

18 years ago nearly it was revealed to the world that I have Aspergers, on a US based wrestling forum, ever since then I was accused of being retarded and living in a "Bubble" which the Americans kept saying they would break.

Hence my disdain to this day for interaction with Yanks online, if the comments section on most YouTube videos is to be believed, most of them are as thick as the content of a Pig's arse.

18 years ago nearly it was revealed to the world that I have Aspergers, on a US based wrestling forum, ever since then I was accused of being retarded and living in a "Bubble" which the Americans kept saying they would break.

Hence my disdain to this day for interaction with Yanks online, if the comments section on most YouTube videos is to be believed, most of them are as thick as the content of a Pig's arse.
Here's what I am going to tell you. If you choose to be zenophobic about all Americans based on treatment from two very narrow areas on the internet,what will prevent others from taking the same stance with you from where you live and labeling your entire country as total toolbags over a few harsh statements that you throw at us on a regular basis.

I'm pretty sure that all of the UK doesn't want represented the way you represent us "Yanks" as you call us,so please knock it off unless you want me to trash you out everytime I see you beat us down. Go ahead,cry,report my post,block me,but I have had about enough of your petty bashing.

I believe you are over generalizing.

Baphocletian

"I've also seen this ridiculous and hokey method of coverage done on people with some other disability like Down Syndrome."

Yes and I have seen this happening in real life, too.
Example: People fawning over Mentally Impaired Adults, saying
to staff that God hears their prayers above the prayers of others.

Instead of just saying directly to the individual, "I believe you
have the ear of God listening to you just the same as any other
person. You are on equal footing that way."

The fawning isn't interactive. It's behind their backs.
Apparently because "they" wouldn't understand or
appreciate it sufficiently. Plus, the speaker wouldn't
get *points* for being *sensitive/respectful.*

Your problem isn't Americans. It's your naiveté in understanding social dynamics and politics relative to certain demographics of people regardless of what country they may be from.

I can only imagine what the response would be accessing an online Manchester United forum going "full-Aspie" and telling them I'm American on the spectrum of autism who wears superhero costumes. Would the Brits welcome me with open arms? Seriously?

Sharing a passion for something is never a guarantee that you're going to be socially accepted by much of anyone. Especially if it involves disclosing personal information or autistic traits that may neurologically or otherwise contrast greatly with any community, regardless of nationality. Mean and intolerant people can be found in every nation.

Once and for all, please don't try to pin this on any one nationality, let alone mine.

Last edited:
oh i agree! the man is awesome, have you seen the autism show he did? i watch all of his shows and i think he has such a great manner with people,even when he interviewed mentally ill killers he wasnt phased by it and spoke to them with respect.

if your fed up with aussie tv you should check out kodi;its free and totally not illegal but what goes on it can breach copyrights it depends how moral you are with it, i use kodi most of the time now,if you want anymore information,just give me a buzz,its not so straight forward but i think you would be pleasantly surprised by a complete install- cant say any further about it on here.

I've actually been using Kodi since it was XBMC on the first Xbox, which I still have in my garage, and I've hardly watch mainstream crap since then. I still use it, but I tend to watch Netflix more these days.

Thanks for the offer of help though.

I've actually been using Kodi since it was XBMC on the first Xbox, which I still have in my garage, and I've hardly watch mainstream crap since then. I still use it, but I tend to watch Netflix more these days.

Thanks for the offer of help though.
sorry full steam i should have realised you had the computer smarts for it,i like a lot of the netflix stuff to,theres a new one out with bryan cranston in saw it advertised on tv tonight,think it had the word 'pete' in,that looks pretty cool if your after something to watch.

sorry full steam i should have realised you had the computer smarts for it,i like a lot of the netflix stuff to,theres a new one out with bryan cranston in saw it advertised on tv tonight,think it had the word 'pete' in,that looks pretty cool if your after something to watch.

Not sure if we've got that yet.

Australia Netflix is limited because The Demon Rupert Murdoch owns many of the rights and has fought against Netflix bringing titles into the country.

I'm actually watching a service called Stan at the moment, and just started Ray Donovan which seems pretty good.

New Threads

Top Bottom