• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Old Job Application Process vs. New

Robby
"BS" describes their requirements well, but I'm not translating it to mean "bachelors of science". :D

I had similar issues when I worked at a menu printing place. I was there as a receptionist, but it was so quiet I spent most of my time in the next room with the graphic artist. He had a degree and I didn't, but the only real difference between us was that he was familiar with MAC software. He often got my perspective on the ads he made and he let me make a few. The boss never would admit I was qualified for the job just because I wasn't full of BS like him.

Have you considered freelancing yourself as a copy editor? There's a lady that advertises on my Project Wonderful ads every so often and she seems to do well enough at it. As a freelance artist, I can verify people are more likely to judge you by your quality than your shiny stickers.

The system is very broken. I managed to get an interview at Sam's Club and they even told me at the end that I was hired but overqualified. Now, a week later and after a drug test and background check, I'm still not working. I never got a call back from the lab stating that I had tested positive for substances (sometimes prescription medicines will show false positives.) So, I'm assuming something came up in the background and reference checks that they did not like. I've never committed a crime, much less been arrested. Oh well, it's outside of my control. My employment record is pretty shoddy, representative of someone who has had significant difficulty.

I miss the days when you could go in somewhere and tell them I am good in this and can be an asset to you and they give you a chance to prove it, without all the ********. Like for instance, I am very good at writing, and would be great as a newspaper editor, but they apparently want you to have some BS degree and a bunch of BS qualifications before they even talk to you. It's sad, because employers are missing out on a lot of potentially very talented people. I have a degree, but it was from a for-profit college before I knew any better, and so basically means nothing to anyone.

I have really good writing skills, but do not know how to use them so I am going to waste. I live at home, at age 33, with no job, and no prospects. I am depressed a lot. Nobody knows this kind of hopelessness. I just want to have a job that I like, and can be useful at, but I just don't know how to begin or to get there. And I don't want to work for Amazon and be treated like cattle or clean toilets. I have more to offer than that.

I am not on LinkedIN, but not sure if joining it would help any way. I don't have an resume to post any way, so who would want to hire me? All I really have are the skills I can do, which is writing, some communicating, and I am good at organizing things.

There has been so much outsourcing, China has taken all our good jobs. And we just let it happen. Back in the day, one of my uncles worked for GM and the other for Ford, good paying, union jobs. with great pensions and benefits. But today, unions are a dirty word apparently. The companies that have not run to China would fire you on the spot if they heard the word union. There are just no good steady jobs now with any self respect. It's all staffing agency jobs, where you're just a piece of mean, no unions, no benefits, it's like we're in the 1890s again.

I have mild autism and have certain jobs I just could not do at all, like anything very fast paced, or with a lot of personal contact. So how is someone supposed to get any work experience if nobody gives you a chance?

And another thing, do you tell a potential employer up front that you have autism but that it could be beneficial to them, or just wait? I just feel lost.
You shouldn't disclose a medical condition and/or disability during the hiring process unless it is legally required.

You should set up a LinkedIn account added all of your work and study related experiences.
It will benefit you to some degree and you can add to it over time.

Anyways on Wednesday I started the process with Michigan Rehabilitation Services (MRS), which is a state agency that helps the disabled get hired.
I will hear back in a few weeks once they are done gathering all the necessary information required to confirm my disabilities.

This is my best option, since the normally job process isn't working (not just for me).
I could no longer deal with the normal job searching and hiring process.

Robby I experience similar frustrations with job search. I have a degree in Criminal Justice but it does precisely squat in the technology sector. I hemmed and hawed and climbed and crawled my way but, in these economic times, my experience is not quite enough. The jobs are now asking for degrees in IT, Computer Science, or Mathematics. Never mind that I can run rings around a recent graduate in IT. Times are really tough right now. I'm working in Sam's Club as a shopping cart attendant. It's demoralizing and physically tough work. It's even tougher to be "nice" to the neurotypical customers while grunting and wrangling 10 carts at a time. What really pisses me off is when one of these customers calls me pal or buddy. My intellect is far superior than that lower primate. Never mind that the work is made doubly difficult because I'm overweight and out of shape so every part of my 38 year old body hurts

It's an appreciably difficult situation to be in. Man do I hear you screaming. Have you thought about seeing what resources for job placement are available to you where you live? Not that I necessarily think they will be any great shakes at all, but I'm seeing what Pennsylvania's Office of Vocational Rehabilitation can do for me. I have an appointment on Sept. 3rd for "placement." If they can offer me something better than helping the Walton Family (majority owner's of Sam's Club) get richer, then I might be game. I'm hoping for placement in a hospital as an orderly or patient care technician. I'm aiming for placement at SAP America but that might be a really large stretch. SAP has a program to bring people with Autism on board.

i had 4 jobs in the past 6 months, besides multiple places calling me to go and work for them.

Some things I've noticed which has changed over the last 20 years:

when HR says the requirement is X amount of years. it usually is not so..
Have to get past the HR gridlock... usually the people screening apps / resumes do not know quite what they are looking for.

What the person wants, is someone who can do the job and do it good... so the person who gets hired is not being babysat for months afterwards....

maybe, go on linkedin, or seek other non-traditional avenues and network to make contact someone in the company to get yourself known... get around the HR gridlock...

last year, i sent +25-35 resumes and applications, and got no resonses, NONE!
i used linkedin, networking, even going on company websites and sending an email to certain individuals with certain job titles... if there is a good rapport constructed, they will get you in the door and around the HR gridlock...

Thanks for the replies everyone I am just going to keep trying & try and stick with it and hope I find something that can work. It's hard because I don't have any work experience much. But I know I have a lot to offer. My local Voc Rehab office is there but they are mostly for VERY handicapped people, who have down syndrome or something. I have autism, but mild autism. I look essentially normal, & am able to be social when needed. It's just hard for me to be around people for too long at a time. I have no visible disability and that seems to be a problem all the assistance services seem to be for people with severe visible disabilities. WHat about all the adults who have autism but mild enough to be a problem but not severe enough to required constant help? I interviewed last week at a library for a page position we'll see how that goes. I'm keeping at it, I could get a job tomorrow if I wanted but we're talking Amazon and not sure I could work in a fast paced environment like that with so many stimuli so I mean I have to know what I am good at and my strengths are before going into something.

I mean I don't want to clean toilets or be a janitor I have so much more capability than that. But the guy at Voc Rehab was saying I could do this stupid program for like 6.00 an hour and then the lady at the nursing home implied that I could get a regular job as a janitor or housekeeper there (probably for minimum wage). Really?? I mean just because I have autism I'm not stupid. I explained that to them but they just look at you like they know best. I mean I am not going to clean toilets for a living.

i had 4 jobs in the past 6 months, besides multiple places calling me to go and work for them.

Some things I've noticed which has changed over the last 20 years:

when HR says the requirement is X amount of years. it usually is not so..
Have to get past the HR gridlock... usually the people screening apps / resumes do not know quite what they are looking for.

What the person wants, is someone who can do the job and do it good... so the person who gets hired is not being babysat for months afterwards....

maybe, go on linkedin, or seek other non-traditional avenues and network to make contact someone in the company to get yourself known... get around the HR gridlock...

last year, i sent +25-35 resumes and applications, and got no resonses, NONE!
i used linkedin, networking, even going on company websites and sending an email to certain individuals with certain job titles... if there is a good rapport constructed, they will get you in the door and around the HR gridlock...
I hate the HR requirements or just the fact that employers are purposely hiring those with tons of experience for entry level jobs and internship.

In my case employers rarely give out contact information and will block you if you dare hit them up on LinkedIn and other places without their permission.

The rule goes, only hit them up if they willing hand you contact information.

My local Voc Rehab office is there but they are mostly for VERY handicapped people, who have down syndrome or something.

This has been my experience as well. They did end up getting me a job, but it wasn't at a good place. It was a non-for-profit that's always on the verge of a lawsuit for civil rights violations. I ended up getting my hours cut to make room for the managers pot grower, who was given a full hours with benefits. I went back to voc rehab to find another job, but they insisted on finding me part-time minimum wage jobs and even discouraged me from going back to school (they have a program that will help pay for it, but good luck with convincing them). Even in leftwing Oregon, their budget is getting cut every year to the point their worthless. They'll find you something, but it's going to the very bottom of the barrel.

This has been my experience as well. They did end up getting me a job, but it wasn't at a good place. It was a non-for-profit that's always on the verge of a lawsuit for civil rights violations. I ended up getting my hours cut to make room for the managers pot grower, who was given a full hours with benefits. I went back to voc rehab to find another job, but they insisted on finding me part-time minimum wage jobs and even discouraged me from going back to school (they have a program that will help pay for it, but good luck with convincing them). Even in leftwing Oregon, their budget is getting cut every year to the point their worthless. They'll find you something, but it's going to the very bottom of the barrel.
When did Oregon swing to the left?
Oregon typically is center/center right at the state level and swings in each presidential election.

Well I hope my run through MRS, it is supposed to be good at placing people with AS in good jobs.

When did Oregon swing to the left?
Oregon typically is center/center right at the state level and swings in each presidential election.

I think you're mistaking us with Ohio. :p Oregon has consistently voted left-wing (well... What the US calls left-wing anyways) for a couple of decades and most of our in-office politicians are Democrats. In fact, we're slated to nominate Bernie Sanders in the primaries.

I imagine Voc Rehab is different region to region, office to office. Mine was filled with caring people, who did genuinely want to help and seemed to know how to do it, but given their budget, they weren't given the tools to do a good job and they were forced to feed their clients ill-fitting jobs.

I think you're mistaking us with Ohio. :p Oregon has consistently voted left-wing (well... What the US calls left-wing anyways) for a couple of decades and most of our in-office politicians are Democrats. In fact, we're slated to nominate Bernie Sanders in the primaries.

I imagine Voc Rehab is different region to region, office to office. Mine was filled with caring people, who did genuinely want to help and seemed to know how to do it, but given their budget, they weren't given the tools to do a good job and they were forced to feed their clients ill-fitting jobs.
Definitely not mistaken Oregon with Ohio (I used to live in Ohio for time)
Ohio as state is conservative due to how state districts work, though tends to swing more center/center left during presidential years due to the majority of the population living in the northern half of the state, which tends to follow Michigan in voting.

Well hopefully I'll have good news when my run at MRS ends.
I'm just waiting for my next appointment which hopefully won't take too long to get (I'm waiting on them to collect the necessary info on me, they said it would take a few weeks).

I have to make a predictable income quickly, to budget and pay for my move overseas.

Where are you moving? I spent 17 years abroad in Ghana, Thailand, El Salvador, Saudi Arabia, and Lebanon.

What you think of how hiring is handled these days? Has it helped you or hurt you, when looking for work? Additions to my gripe list? Stories from the battlefield?

Over the last few years some Human Resource Departments have been saying, "We'll call you" to job applicants ... but they never do. They wait instead to see if the applicant calls back as a way of assessing that applicant's real interest in the job. Anyone who applies for a job these days needs to do a follow up within 24 hours of the interview otherwise the job could be lost.

When I applied to work in the private sector, the person who was interviewing me was an area director for several restaurants. He handed me a paper that listed several books and asked me if I had ever read any of them. I said yes to 3 of the 10 books on the list. The area director looked disappointed but booked me for a follow up interview a week down the road. During the intervening week, I read all of the books on the list and when I went to the 2nd interview, I told the area director what I had done. The man was surprised. "Wow ... I've never read ANY of those books" which made me wonder why he had ever shown me that list in the first place.

After the area director hired me, I trained for 13 weeks under a general manager and literally worked at every position there was at a casual dining restaurant. After the training was over, I was sent to the home office for additional training as a manager. At the home office, they had all of us fill out feedback forms for what we thought about our current supervisors. We were assured that these feedback forms would remain confidential. They were not confidential. HR sent copies of what we wrote IN CONFIDENCE to our general managers. Being somewhat paranoid, I didn't fall for this trick and was largely neutral with my comments but I know several assistant managers who got on the wrong side of their GMs.

I also once interviewed for a job that didn't exist. The job existed on paper but because this was a public school district, HR felt compelled to "interview" several applicants before "making their selection" even though the job was already in the proverbial bag for one lucky "applicant". (sigh) The only reason I found out was because I knew an administrator who was on the interviewing panel.

Over the last few years some Human Resource Departments have been saying, "We'll call you" to job applicants ... but they never do. They wait instead to see if the applicant calls back as a way of assessing that applicant's real interest in the job. Anyone who applies for a job these days needs to do a follow up within 24 hours of the interview otherwise the job could be lost.
This has been very rare for my peers and I (and others I know for that matter).

We rarely get contact information from the person doing the interview, thus have no way to contact them (companies don't want people to constantly contact them about filling the job anymore)
We do occasionally get general contact information, as in the company's business card with their web address.

Once I was given contact information from the first stage reviewer and the sole review (two different jobs), Though I was told to email and call if had any questions about the company but not to ask questions regarding my interview and about their decision.

I was literally told by both not to contact them about getting the job and they would call me back if they chose to move forward with me.

Practically every job I have ever applied for including internships, had a disclaimer telling you not to call to inquire about your application and they would call you if they were interested.
Some even went as far as warned you, you would be disqualified for not following the directions.
I've heard from those professionals I know, claiming that if company says not to contact them or is refusing to give out contact information, not to contact them about the interview and filling the job. It shows you don't know how to be patient and follow the rules, normally killing your chance at being hired.

Normally I send a thank you email when I can find their email, but is normally hard to find.

In many cases I've had real companies hit me up to schedule interviews via email, who fail to set a date/time for the interview after numerous interviews. They go all out silent and I never hear back. I do email them never to hear back.
I have had companies schedule phone interviews, only not to call me and never to get back in touch with me.
I also hear no response when I try to contact them.
It really grinds my gears they waste my time and interrupt them.
Just because I have the time, doesn't mean I want to waste it on an interview that isn't going to happen.

I hope I hear back from MRS soon, I'm getting anxious (it could take up to 60 days, hasn't been a month for me yet).

Ah.. the process of jobapplication... many hours spent on discussing it with my dad; who, especially prior to my diagnosis (and to some extent, before he, himself got ill) was all about "go get a job; I don't care what... go apply at the local grocerystore for all I care".

Yet, what he seemed to miss is that back in the 80's when he applied for a job, he held until the warehouse closed down (and while being on unemployment, had a few strokes rendering him disabled enough to not work anymore), a lot has seemingly changed. Back in his time, one could actually apply somewhere without any certification; and if you're at least give the impression you're a good employee, you might get hired and start the next day. And actually, that's how I feel it should be in plenty of places.

Looking at how it is now; you're either too old, not experienced enough, lack (unneccesary) certification, don't look the right way, are overqualified... It's becoming nigh impossible for some people to find a job because on top of being picky, employers set absurd arbitrary standards.

I always found it hilarious when I showed up at temp agencies here. Since, especially, without any formal education, there's no way a company would hire someone; the only people that work for a company here, are the ones that went through the lengthy process of working for temp agencies first for years. It's much like a gatekeeper to prevent certain people to access jobs at all. At least, that's how it feels. I can show up at any temp agency and I'm out in 5 minutes. They give me the impression I don't even belong at the temp agency to look for a job; let alone actually go to work somewhere.

I guess in a way, they're trying to save their own hides, by only providing, what they feel, are good, compliant, potential employees, not to lose face by sending someone for an interview that might be a bit different. It's corporate self-interest to try and have a 100% successrate. And yes, I can totally understand that's how a company would want to work; but despite being a commercial enterprise; increasingly I doubt if humane behaviour, acceptance of people and commercial purposes/capitalism actually go hand in hand.

The only jobs I've gotten with the help of my state's Division of Vocational Rehabilitation have been in janitorial and food service. I've been in my current job 7 years, but now I'm feeling overwhelmed by the amount of work and interaction I now have and the long commute (from Seattle to Redmond). I've got a feeling I may need to go back to DVR or try the autism spectrum navigators program at Bellevue College.

The only jobs I've gotten with the help of my state's Division of Vocational Rehabilitation have been in janitorial and food service. I've been in my current job 7 years, but now I'm feeling overwhelmed by the amount of work and interaction I now have and the long commute (from Seattle to Redmond). I've got a feeling I may need to go back to DVR or try the autism spectrum navigators program at Bellevue College.
VocRehab has been ineffective. I gave it a shot so I don't really know where I am going from here. I found a program specifically for Autism services in PA called the Autism Waiver Program. I'll see what this is about.

New Threads

Top Bottom