• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Old Engineering Videos...

maycontainthunder

May also contain missing cakes.
V.I.P Member
I came across these and thought I would share. Many of these skills have been largely lost because of CNC automation.

Horizontal milling machines in action. Hardly anyone uses these anymore. There are some jobs they can do (like gear cutting in the previous video) that the current popular vertical machines can't.

Lathe work;

Tapping threads;

I can see how this might be interesting to afficinados of tools/machinery or possibly for it's history, but the average person might find the 'Drilling, Boring'.

;)

I can see how this might be interesting to afficinados of tools/machinery or possibly for it's history, but the average person might find the 'Drilling, Boring'.

;)

Does anyone else want to join me in saying 'ARRRGHHH' to that joke? ;)

I came across these and thought I would share. Many of these skills have been largely lost because of CNC automation.

Horizontal milling machines in action. Hardly anyone uses these anymore. There are some jobs they can do (like gear cutting in the previous video) that the current popular vertical machines can't.

Lathe work;

Tapping threads;

55 years ago in middle school metal shop I made a hammer. It required lathe work, milling, drilling, tapping, threading, and hand finishing. It is one of the most useful and functional tools I own, and I still use it. Shame these skills are no longer taught.

55 years ago in middle school metal shop I made a hammer. It required lathe work, milling, drilling, tapping, threading, and hand finishing. It is one of the most useful and functional tools I own, and I still use it. Shame these skills are no longer taught.

This is the problem with modern society. If the button you press doesn't do what it is meant to so many people cannot problem solve let alone fix things. My lathe came from a girl's school of all places. I couldn't see it running because they had already had the power disconnected. The feed direction lever was in a weird position; when put right there was zero drive to the power feed. First thing to check; the shear pin in the end cover. Yep, broken. They got rid of a perfectly good machine because a 10 pence part broke!

This is exactly why I took on running our century old machineshop out at the National Pike Steam Gas and Horse Association.

How lathes used to be made...

Note the mention of a rest period for the casting. This is also known as seasoning it. A simple process where it is left to sit for a few months so all the internal stresses dissipate. The vast majority of manufacturers now don't do this. This is why many far eastern machines often have beds that are twisted or banana shaped; the castings are machined and used straight away. The internal stresses then warp it after it has been assembled.

Every day is a machineshop day for me in the confines of my home :p

This channel is very interesting as well:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBdj-vOveiEFWe3vnGoJUag/videos

The intro vid:

Some interesting machines in that workshop. One thing I notice about the big lathe is that it has what appears to be a taper turning attachment on it. Also interesting is he is using what we call a lantern type toolpost. Though it was available for my lathe (and I do have one) I'll stick with quick change!

Some interesting machines in that workshop. One thing I notice about the big lathe is that it has what appears to be a taper turning attachment on it. Also interesting is he is using what we call a lantern type toolpost. Though it was available for my lathe (and I do have one) I'll stick with quick change!
Imagine having to fire a boiler each day and then the amount of rust that would be present :D

Imagine having to fire a boiler each day and then the amount of rust that would be present :D

That workshop will have chronic condensation problems.

Looking at the pillar drills they have led a charmed life with so few drill holes in the table. I've seen tables nearly drilled in half which is known as 'the ring of shame'. I make a point of using the depth stops so I don't make that mistake!

Worst thing you can do to any machine is use water soluble oil as coolant. This is why this is usually white because of the water. It's horrible stuff that gets inside everything and leaves black stains on any shiny surface and will leave permanent marks if it isn't cleaned off.

Nice Try!

I love this WWII propaganda picture that demonstrates that often what is seen isn't the truth :p

I love the loose dangly part of her shop apron too.
Safety first! :p

Nice Try!

I love this WWII propaganda picture that demonstrates that often what is seen isn't the truth :p

That faceplate appears to have the protective grease on it. The machine is without doubt brand new. It would turn black from coolant staining within a week.

We started using a spectrometer to set the proper mix on coolants to control the sticky mess from them getting too rich.

I remember using the old soluble oil mixes that created the "milk" :p
That stuff worked it's way into your skin.

To this day, I still keep sulfur oil for use on manual equipment.
I remember when I was younger using white lead on lathe dead centers for the lube and often when tapping pipe threads in crappy steel, mixing it with sulfur oil to improve the finishes.

All of it is stinky :D

One thing you often see on these car restoration programs is sheet metal work.

If you ever get the chance to watch an actual demonstration go for it. A friend used to work restoring high end pre-war car bodies. I've watched him doing repairs on a damaged motorcycle mudguard... art to watch.

New Threads

Top Bottom