• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Officially diagnosed yesterday

Hello,
I completed a series of diagnostic tests over the last few days in Charlotte, NC. I am relieved to have received confirmation in what I had already started to believe about myself. Being on the spectrum makes so much make sense. I am here to learn and listen and find a community! I love exercising, my two schnauzers, my husband, music, and dark humor. I’m 33 years old and feel like I just solved a riddle about myself!
Welcome and congratulations. I was diagnosed late (60 yo), and that diagnosis answered so many questions about me and my life. You now need to be aware of a few things. First, accepting the diagnosis is one thing. Accepting not being diagnosed earlier is another. All of the might-have-beens, all of the lost opportunities, all of the decisions that would be different, everything you could have accomplished, if only you had known. After ten yers, I am still trying to deal with this. Be careful, these thoughts can be insidious and creep up on you. The other thing is, I hope your husband and family are fully supporting you in this, They have to learn as much about autism as you do. Things may never be quite the same as they were. If everybody works together, thing will get better. If not, problems will arise. Finally, never use autism as an excuse. This is the way you were, are, and always will be. The diagnosis changes nothing except to provide some answers. When you make a mistake, it was YOU who made the mistake. The autism did not cause you to make the mistake. Own up to it and be responsible for the consequences.

Good luck on your new journey of discovery. You will find a lot of support and answers here. One thing I learned is, we have to support each other because almost nobody else will.

New Threads

Top Bottom