• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Officially diagnosed last Thursday at 49 years old

Christie1969

Hi everyone,
I had written an introduction at least 5 times already and decided not to overwhelm you with all my details can anyone relate ? I copied it all down to share with you at a later time . I can’t tell you how relieved I am to finally know what has been going on with me my whole life but at the same time I feel so cheated .

How long have you suspected for?

I'm hopefully going to be officially diagnosed soon at age 50, first suspected (and found out what Asperger's is) at age 48. So very many details I may be sorting out for the rest of my life, overwhelming to me, never mind to others. Yes, I can relate, and most here probably can too. I don't know the statistics, but suspect that most of us here have spent most of our lives unaware and consider those who find out before adulthood to be fortunate in that respect.

I hadn't quite thought of it in this way before, but I suppose many of us are trying to learn to avoid being cheated to the same extent from now on.

Welcome.

Hey, Christie. Please don't feel cheated by such a late diagnosis. Please find some comfort and acceptance and forgiveness for yourself in finally having some answers for things you have long struggled with. You are the same person today as you were last week, and you are not alone. There are so many people, learning late in life about ASD. I hope it opens up the world to you!

Hi Christie :)
welcome to af.png

Thank you ! I’ve always known something was very different about me. I was labeled as “ gullible “ from a very young age and always had jokes played on me because the reaction I gave people made them laugh . I discovered very early how to adapt to social behaviors and played along very well . In my early 20’s I had been diagnosed with panic/anxiety disorder, but the medication never worked . So I played along ( as I call it now ) for another almost 25 years till now and I started going through some horrible meltdowns and even had a brain scan done to rule out a tumor . I never thought and nobody ever suggested it may be Aspergers. It wasn’t until I saw a quiz online for ASD , that I even knew what to look for . I had most ALL the symptoms and started feeling a big sense of relief because I really was starting to think I was just a selfish self absorbed person that had no room for anyone else . That didn’t satisfy me either because I knew that I cared about people , especially those who are suffering or the innocent. My whole life has been pretty much “ fight or flight “ mode . I feel hopeful now . This book was given to me Thursday by my therapist and I’m reading it for the 3rd time since my appt on Thursday. I highly recommend it .

Attachments

• 7FD8D64E-D66E-4943-81AE-B4E82CDBC776.jpeg
    7FD8D64E-D66E-4943-81AE-B4E82CDBC776.jpeg
    267.1 KB · Views: 0
Hi @Christie1969 . I just found out I’m an Aspie at age 64! But as I have learned over the weeks researching this the young ones diagnosed early didn't have it much better than we did. Sometimes having a label just gave other kids another reason to bully the young Aspie kids.

Now that I know what is “wrong” with me I can start making my life more enjoyable instead of just trying to survive and not knowing why life is so hard.

Thank you for sharing that book title, I’m going to see if my library has it!

Hey, Christie. Please don't feel cheated by such a late diagnosis. Please find some comfort and acceptance and forgiveness for yourself in finally having some answers for things you have long struggled with. You are the same person today as you were last week, and you are not alone. There are so many people, learning late in life about ASD. I hope it opens up the world to you!
Thank you for that ! I am relieved . I wished my mom would have sought out help for me when I was growing up . She has since disowned me because her last words to me in November 2017 were “ I can’t even get you to look at me “ your so hateful and rude “ when I’m reality I was having major sensory overload issues .
thank you

Hi @Christie1969 . I just found out I’m an Aspie at age 64! But as I have learned over the weeks researching this the young ones diagnosed early didn't have it much better than we did. Sometimes having a label just gave other kids another reason to bully the young Aspie kids.

Now that I know what is “wrong” with me I can start making my life more enjoyable instead of just trying to survive and not knowing why life is so hard.

Thank you for sharing that book title, I’m going to see if my library has it!

Hi there and thank you ! I’m trying to be positive about it all and am so very thankful I have answers now .

How long have you suspected for?

I'm hopefully going to be officially diagnosed soon at age 50, first suspected (and found out what Asperger's is) at age 48. So very many details I may be sorting out for the rest of my life, overwhelming to me, never mind to others. Yes, I can relate, and most here probably can too. I don't know the statistics, but suspect that most of us here have spent most of our lives unaware and consider those who find out before adulthood to be fortunate in that respect.

I hadn't quite thought of it in this way before, but I suppose many of us are trying to learn to avoid being cheated to the same extent from now on.

Welcome.
Thank you for your comment nice to meet someone who is just beginning this journey like me .

Thank you for your comment nice to meet someone who is just beginning this journey like me .
Haha sorry I had written you a big long reply only to have my phone die and restart so I lost a few pages. Now I can’t recall everything I said I will get back to you later .

Hi there and thank you ! I’m trying to be positive about it all and am so very thankful I have answers now .
Hi sorry I’m not use to this place yet and my reply’s are not matching the comments I’m replying to I’m happy to meet you and WOW that’s a long time not knowing ! I feel like a kid still myself at 49 . This is a whole new world that I can finally say I’m comfortable with

It is frustrating to begin to figure it all out later than sooner in life. Of course even with self-awareness there are no guarantees of being able to improve your life socially. Having begun to figure it out in my mid fifties (some time ago), I've come to the conclusion that there's not much I can do in hindsight to dramatically change how I do or don't relate to others.

For me the most important thing though is to have figured it out. Why interacting with others in real time can be so arduous. At least I have the satisfaction of knowing and accepting both who- and what I actually am.

Last edited:
Welcome.
I can't say I relate, I was diagnosed at the age of 2. I can only vaguely remember it. There was this person asking me questions and I was really mad because he was talking to me like I was stupid. That's all I remember. But I only accepted my diagnosis last year. I always was mad that I was different, now I am glad .

New Threads

Top Bottom