• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

NT's vs Aspie thinking.

Social based learning (integration in society and world) vs literal learning. (Learning as it is,without social reference to status and such)

Which was the idea showing a key difference below.
I was going to say something similar - that we don't have a social brain so we learn through experience, fact and analysis rather than through social interaction. We mostly see things in terms of concrete fact rather than in social terms, we are not people-orientated.

I'd say Aspies are born without built-in "framework" NT's have for integrating in society and world, therefore Aspies have to learn from scratch everything NT's can do fluently.

Our approach to learning and thinking is different we "brute force" everything, since we have no internal "framework" to guide our thinking, so we think constantly and train our brain day-to-day while NT's just follow built-in program without using much of their brain.

I strongly agree with this. In my personal experience, I have learned to constantly analyze, typically outside stimuli and social situations, but also everything else. For example, when I am in a social situation, even though I am incompetent when it comes to empathizing with others, I can assess the NTs analytically in terms of their purpose and intentions. Also, @OrdinaryCitizen, I really appreciated the post on Low Latent Inhibition, as it provided some new insights into how I think and operate.

written language is my strong suit.
Thinking critically, i find witting to be very similar process to coding except writing more focuses on memory aspect while coding focus on logical aspect.

Even verbal communication is a form of programming, you basically attempt to reprogram people to do what you need of them or synchronize information (chit-chat), and you make "database query" when you ask for questions.

Not all of us on the spectrum are good at these subjects. I have Asperger's but also severe dyscalculia, so my maths ability is just awful. I get what people say about people on the spectrum and their potential, because maybe they are particularly talented in certain fields, but what I've found personally is that no amount of talent makes up for my issues with executive functioning. I could be fantastic at a certain topic or potentially a certain job, but my inability to follow instructions, lists of tasks, plan my time etc etc means the talent falls by the wayside somewhat.

Being good at STEM is more of a stereotype I think. We cannot be all good at that due to spiky strength profiles. I hate math (even though it was my major), absolutely can't stand and never understood physics. I code well and have a decent understanding and ability in that area but I absolutely hate algorithms and very poor at little logical riddles many employers use at interviews. Anything non-visual, such as math, logic and such and I suck at it. Anything that has a structure that I can visualize and I do it fine. So am I good at STEM? Overall not at all, but I have a few spikes on the diagram that let me earn a living.
I am fairly strong in arts, written word which has nothing to do with STEM. It's all over the map basically. My daughter who is very similar to me is even spikier. Weak at math, weaker than me, but an amazing self-taught visual artist at the age of 10.

Not all of us on the spectrum are good at these subjects. I have Asperger's but also severe dyscalculia, so my maths ability is just awful.
I don't even know multiplication table i count with fingers, however i am brilliant when it comes to programming i can make anything happen there.

I get what people say about people on the spectrum and their potential, because maybe they are particularly talented in certain fields, but what I've found personally is that no amount of talent makes up for my issues with executive functioning.

I could be fantastic at a certain topic or potentially a certain job, but my inability to follow instructions, lists of tasks, plan my time etc etc means the talent falls by the wayside somewhat.

Same thing is true for me, i have lots of talent's however i am forced to live in this world where i have to fight and prove something to others, and i can't quite function like everyone else in all aspects of life.

However i believe it comes not from autism itself yet negative childhood experiences experiences.

E.g. I hate planning because i had calendar in childhood in front of my desk and my parents made me appointment to see dentist in 3 weeks and this were 3 weeks of torture looking at that calendar anticipating going trough pain.
Dentist they took me to was did not give me any anesthesia nurse held hold my hands and he tortured me with drill, after that i started to hate calendars and planning anything in the future and live with today.
Its not ASD fault, my life experience did it.

Being good at STEM is more of a stereotype I think. We cannot be all good at that due to spiky strength profiles. I hate math (even though it was my major), absolutely can't stand and never understood physics.
Same i am visual thinker, i never enjoyed 2D mathematics in school only time i enjoyed when i had made visual representation for it.
There's a trick by the way in beginning they teach you to count objects with math, later its just numbers that do not represent anything at all and ti does not bind to anything from real world just not interesting to me.
Same about physics it school it was all about pure mathematical formulas that are meaningless to me because i don't even see what they representing some other virtual things.

Really i think one of the reasons i stay smarter than anyone is because i ignored most of what been thought in school (because i've seen no point in this knowledge) and keep my mind clear from clutter, now i can study with clear mind when i need to learn something and use my own experience not repeat some dogma from book that was written hundreds of years ago.

By the way people who do good at school they never invent anything they mostly are lab workers good at handling stuff, however they lack curiosity and creativeness because they think everything was discovered already and knowledge they have in their heads limits their thinking.

Being Aspie make you good at analyzing things from young age you are born with this "hardware" skill, school is teaching NT's children who does not have this ability to have "software" skill of analyzing, IMO regular school is useless for Aspies.

I think some of this stuff is harder to define, my experience as one who is likely Autistic but no DX is...

When it comes to people I can read them really well...but not always reliably. I study their body language, I note their posture, expressions (a bit harder) and can generally read them well, sometimes better than an atypical NT. I have learnt this to survive, at high school it was brutal with bullying because i stood out as awkward, I learnt to blend and to read people to protect myself. So with people I can be seen as intuitive even though for me it is more like studying.

As this is a survival thing it also makes me a relentless people pleaser. Conflict for me = unsafe and I exhaust myself trying to please others at times. I see relationships as vulnerable, solely based on harmony so if that goes I expect people to desert me. So life interpersonally is incredibly hard.

One of the tragic things about this is that I have suppressed so much to blend in. I am aware I cut off my childhood and sought to distance myself from that person so I could be normal, accepted and safe, all the while exhausting myself as i try to do so, and continue trying cause everything is built on this now! My hyperfocus has always been centered around sci-fi and tech and I am very naturally gifted in tech stuff, I love science and astronomy but in order to survive so much of that was kinda lost, there but not enough to build on because of everything else. I survived in my imagination, dreaming of other worlds, creating my own mini universes, escaping.

Sorry for the ramble, I guess after that I wonder what role trauma might play in development and how we function as adults....after this ramble I need a cup of tea!

New Threads

Top Bottom