• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Nouveau Movies

Kayla55

For me my mask is a tool, I use it mainly for work purposes. So behind the scenes of Hollywood annoys and depresses me because it's so far from reality, unnatural and glamorous life for lesser understanding.

Do you support mainstream media?

Do you mean you are more annoyed with the idea of celebrity, or with mainstream entertainment? Sorry, but I wasn't quite sure if you meant one or both.

And did you call the thread "nouveau movies" as a reference to French New Wave films? Meaning, they are more real than typical entertainment?

There have always been mainstream things I've loved, but it really depends on what they're like. I could never relate to the social life in sitcoms I saw growing up, even though I watched them. But, I loved Seinfeld because I thought it was more real. The characters are vain, self-centered, and lazy, and it was fun to see a sitcom with more realistic people. Not that those are good qualities. But, at least the show didn't feel like it was lying. Its fantasy New York and sitcom style were so obviously fun in themselves, too, as a put on. So I can embrace something like that. It's authentic in making the lies part of the joke, and the rest just felt real.

Coming from another angle, I love The Beach Boys. Even the corniest songs that Brian did still have a sense of authenticity. He's a very genuine, sincere guy. I may not share the sentiments in "Be True to Your School," "Don't Back Down," or "409," but they are more authentic than a lot of similar songs. You wouldn't know Brian didn't surf or care about cars. (Though he wrote songs about many more things besides that.)

I think it comes down to how unique and truthful I find the work to be. That could be Seinfeld, Lord of the Rings, or something much more obscure.

I dont generally watch/play most mainstream stuff, but it's not a matter of it being mainstream (usually), it's a matter of it being boring or just braindead or something along that line.

Like, I've seen all sorts of super creative and exciting series on Youtube by creators who just want to make cool stuff, and that's great. But actual Hollywood movies? They all look the same to me. Like they're just mass produced on an assembly line or something. And considering how Marvel movies seem to do, and everything I hear/read/see about them... they pretty much ARE all the same. And generally what I do see of modern movies (like if family is watching them) just gets me wanting to go do anything else. The dumb part is that even when family ARE watching them, they arent REALLY watching them. Chances are one is asleep and the other is poking a phone.

There are very, very, very rare exceptions to this, but... well okay I cant actually think of what those exceptions are, but still. One way or another I havent been in a movie theater in like 10+ years and cant see myself ever going into one again. Well, the chairs are terrible in those anyway.

And as for video games... dont even get me started on the big budget stuff. That's a 15 page rant in and of itself. I'll spare you all that.

And then there's the TV. My only interaction with the big TV on the main floor is trying to figure out how to turn the stupid thing off when nobody else is around. I *really* hate that thing. Any time I have a chance to make it shut up for awhile, I'll jump at said chance. Rare, that.

Apologies, but it is difficult to follow your train of thought, as written.

It's true that many people, for a long list of reasons, have to put on a persona to fit whatever environment they are in, autistic or not. Most of it is benign.

Hollywood actors, in your example, it is about appearances and their perception in front of the camera. It seems a very stressful life, where what one says, does, or even wears, is always going to offend someone and potentially ruin their career, especially now-a-days with "cancel culture". The public is very fickle, famous for 15 minutes, and then you're a "nobody" again. I also think those fancy properties they own are more an "oasis" from their public life.

In everyday life, though, there is a point where masking/camouflaging, putting on a persona, can be used for nefarious reasons, to deceive in order to take advantage of or do harm. I also have a problem with people in positions of influence, power, and authority that deceive, withhold information, or outright lie in order to influence their "audience". If there is an "agenda" behind statements that they are not forthcoming with, I get suspicious. Some of the op-ed "news" anchors in the media, politicians, sales people, upper-level management, for examples. I am very distrustful.

Personally, when one is in a situation where one is unable to take in all the pertinent non-verbal language, quickly discern deceptive communication, etc. it adds to the anxieties surrounding social and communication. I still have a tendency to be very open-minded and trusting, because I falsely assume the person I am interacting with is the same way, and is why people can take advantage of me if they choose. I am aware of myself, and tend to take a bit more pause, will take a long time to earn trust, and even avoid certain individuals and situations. If I can, I will let my wife interact with strangers on my behalf.

Do you mean you are more annoyed with the idea of celebrity, or with mainstream entertainment? Sorry, but I wasn't quite sure if you meant one or both.

And did you call the thread "nouveau movies" as a reference to French New Wave films? Meaning, they are more real than typical entertainment?

There have always been mainstream things I've loved, but it really depends on what they're like. I could never relate to the social life in sitcoms I saw growing up, even though I watched them. But, I loved Seinfeld because I thought it was more real. The characters are vain, self-centered, and lazy, and it was fun to see a sitcom with more realistic people. Not that those are good qualities. But, at least the show didn't feel like it was lying. Its fantasy New York and sitcom style were so obviously fun in themselves, too, as a put on. So I can embrace something like that. It's authentic in making the lies part of the joke, and the rest just felt real.

Coming from another angle, I love The Beach Boys. Even the corniest songs that Brian did still have a sense of authenticity. He's a very genuine, sincere guy. I may not share the sentiments in "Be True to Your School," "Don't Back Down," or "409," but they are more authentic than a lot of similar songs. You wouldn't know Brian didn't surf or care about cars. (Though he wrote songs about many more things besides that.)

I think it comes down to how unique and truthful I find the work to be. That could be Seinfeld, Lord of the Rings, or something much more obscure.
Lol yeah Seinfeld was wack XD and great at times. I loved the animated versions of scenes from the show, especially Kramers about having a wife. "Ya wake up in the morning, SHE'S THERE!" I laughed so hard at that as a kid. Lol The Beach Boys are cool and chill in my opinion, I like the vibe and my Dad loves them :p

It's true, sometimes I've found random stuff online that's more genuine than TV or another medium in some cases. A lot of old ABC and ABC3 stuff on Aussie TV is classic to me and some of those shows are still going (Spicks and Specks) and I'm also glad about new ones for kids like Bluey. I find it slightly cheesy but I enjoy <3

I dont generally watch/play most mainstream stuff, but it's not a matter of it being mainstream (usually), it's a matter of it being boring or just braindead or something along that line.

Like, I've seen all sorts of super creative and exciting series on Youtube by creators who just want to make cool stuff, and that's great. But actual Hollywood movies? They all look the same to me. Like they're just mass produced on an assembly line or something. And considering how Marvel movies seem to do, and everything I hear/read/see about them... they pretty much ARE all the same. And generally what I do see of modern movies (like if family is watching them) just gets me wanting to go do anything else. The dumb part is that even when family ARE watching them, they arent REALLY watching them. Chances are one is asleep and the other is poking a phone.

There are very, very, very rare exceptions to this, but... well okay I cant actually think of what those exceptions are, but still. One way or another I havent been in a movie theater in like 10+ years and cant see myself ever going into one again. Well, the chairs are terrible in those anyway.

And as for video games... dont even get me started on the big budget stuff. That's a 15 page rant in and of itself. I'll spare you all that.

And then there's the TV. My only interaction with the big TV on the main floor is trying to figure out how to turn the stupid thing off when nobody else is around. I *really* hate that thing. Any time I have a chance to make it shut up for awhile, I'll jump at said chance. Rare, that.
I agree with you on the family watching TV thing, I get surprised when my Dad says, "Nah we're not gonna be boring, let's watch a movie you picked out" and occasionally he picks one that we all like and laugh at. Even though I grew up watching stuff completely on my own, I'm starting to watch stuff with my fam because I'm old enough to understand <3

Celebrities can use masking as a tool for work also. Isn't it (or was it) something of a symbol for entertainment?

original-5940838-1.jpg

If you wish to be cured of co-morbility it's because society places so much emphasise on perfection as opposed to accepting that often it was not an invention but rather a discovery and even in bad circumstances. The French were very verbal about patents, however the French seemed to invent everything after that, but Americans seem to follow suite.
I still watch a few French movies as such, however at one stage I drifted since portrayal of realistic sex scenes but these became too much for me, at first I was thinking the was a point. Some of it was just not always sharing the French perspective but overall I do prefer and tend to find a movie at nouveau that I prefer.
At first I enjoyed the action scenes from martial arts influence, not that Kayla would try any of this at home but there's so much of it and hardly storyline, it's not against using art or a mask in acting, it's about being more lifelike and realistic. I like Jodi foster, I really do but Anna from King and I was half Indian. It's a very relevant point historically because Indonesian slaves were often rapped and families had no rights if slave-master said so. This was documented by British as main source of record since Asia was always a creative people who's art was borrowed from.
But as was said best: Hollywood is about repeating storyline, budget, and I'm on a par with misery I switch most TV off than watch.

New Threads

Top Bottom