• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Not straying from the familiar

Misery

Amalga Heart
V.I.P Member
Okay, so, example of what I mean by that title there:

I watch alot of Youtube, right? Subscribed to all sorts of channels, and it's what I watch whenever I'm having a meal, or often in the short period just before bedtime.

But I've noticed that I tend to watch the same things over and over and over. Even within specific channels. Like, it might be "Hey, Bob McDudeFace uploaded some new stuff! I'll check it out, I love his stuff" but then when I go to do that, I will immediately find myself thinking "but... what if it's not as good as these others he did that I'm more familiar with? I cant be too sure. I'll go watch those instead for the zillionth time, I already know those are really good and I wont be disappointed".

I do this a whole lot. And when I think about it, it doesnt actually make a whole lot of sense. Yet I keep doing it. I'm probably missing out on all sorts of stuff this way.

Anyone else here do this sort of thing? Not just with Youtube, but I mean with... anything. Could be TV, or books, or movies, or.... I dunno, whatever subject/hobby/something.

Okay, so, example of what I mean by that title there:

I watch alot of Youtube, right? Subscribed to all sorts of channels, and it's what I watch whenever I'm having a meal, or often in the short period just before bedtime.

But I've noticed that I tend to watch the same things over and over and over. Even within specific channels. Like, it might be "Hey, Bob McDudeFace uploaded some new stuff! I'll check it out, I love his stuff" but then when I go to do that, I will immediately find myself thinking "but... what if it's not as good as these others he did that I'm more familiar with? I cant be too sure. I'll go watch those instead for the zillionth time, I already know those are really good and I wont be disappointed".

I do this a whole lot. And when I think about it, it doesnt actually make a whole lot of sense. Yet I keep doing it. I'm probably missing out on all sorts of stuff this way.

Anyone else here do this sort of thing? Not just with Youtube, but I mean with... anything. Could be TV, or books, or movies, or.... I dunno, whatever subject/hobby/something.
Seems kinda unhealthy. Humans are supposed to see new things and adapt.

Misery I do this all the time when I go out to eat- or rather when I used to go out to eat. Go to the same few restaurants I know are good and eat the same menu items I know I like and have the exact same thought process about trying new dishes "what if I don't like it? I'll have wasted a meal on something I don't like, I'd be better off ordering something I know I like." And I am an NT. BUT, I don't do this with other things like books or TV or Youtube. Only food.

Although I'll admit there's this one webseries who's name I'm not gonna mention that I rewatch at least once every year. It's getting a 9th season soon after it's second death. I have no idea if I'll watch since the 8th season (which was the first time the show was brought back before dying again) was genuinely horrible and I don't even think the same people worked on it aside from the voice actors.

I'll admit it can be hard to find something new to watch (that's not on Youtube or at a movie theatre) due to me having problems paying attention to stuff. Though I'm trying to overcome this.

Definitely!

As with @LucyPurrs I've got several go-to restaurants and at each, there's often no more than 3 items that I would order.

As for games, to use one example, I was playing Civ I, then Civ II. I had that for over a decade before I made the leap to Civ V - I followed the updates and expansion packs for III and IV but didn't bother to make the jump, and even then, I only got Civ V, with all the expansions, some time after Civ VI came out, and I decided that VI was a bit too different.

As they say, a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush. I don't ask for much and I'm pretty easy to keep content.

I do this sometimes. I mostly use Youtube to listen to music, and even if I like a certain musician/ band, I'll still be reluctant to listen to something I haven't heard before, preferring to re-listen to something I know I like.

This applies mainly to music and food, though. I look forward to new episodes of shows I like, and reading new manga/ books, but when it comes to music and food I'm pretty hesitant to try something new, even if I like all their other stuff.

Seems kinda unhealthy. Humans are supposed to see new things and adapt.

Aye, quite true. That's part of the problem.

Though, it's odd, but for me at least it only applies to certain things. Youtube or whatever I watch is the big one. But with something like, say, games, or I dunno, meeting new dogs, you bet I'm ready to give a try to something new.

It's all quite nonsensical really. Sure seems like it to me anyway.

I have done that. Food definitely. YouTube. Love good action videos mainly animated. Music for sure. But, I do get tired of repeat hearing it. Now far faster then I used too. But, I have this other issue. Instant recollection. Any game, book, or movie ive seen or read. Even new ones now. I instantly remember everything about them. Though I think it's a phase. Other times I'll forget everything about the same movies and books. And reread them like it's my first time. I suspect it's related to changes in my brain. Would be fasicanating to study.

Oh yeah, this is something I can relate to for once.

I use Youtube for a lot of music (just as an example, it's not just music or Youtube) and will play the same songs and parts of those songs on repeat. The sensation that rolls through me when I'm listening to my favorite songs is a great feeling and the entire reason why I do it in the first place.

It would be better to expand and try something new here and there, yeah, but I know too well the idea of sticking with what you're comfortable with instead can be hard to shake off.

This is definitely an autism thing. Related to repetitive behavior and the need for ritual/sameness/familiarity. I’m this way, too.

It's comforting. l believe it's another form of stimming. My daughter rewatched wizard of oz like 10 times at age 3.

Op, i feel the same i dont like straying away from the familiar. I usually listen to the same song over and over again like 10-20 times a day

I do this with my favorite cooking ASMR channel. I see thumbnails for foods that look like they're really cool to watch, but *gasp* it's from a channel I've never watched before. I've pushed myself a bit and expanded my YouTube ASMR channels to a grand total of two, but I will definitely choose old videos I know I like over a different channel, even if they look like they'd be new and interesting.

It's definitely a comfort thing for me. The old vids are reliable and I love that I know what comes next.

You do not even want to know how many times I have seen Pulp Fiction in my lifetime. I also tend to watch the same movies over and over again.

New Threads

Top Bottom