• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Not creative

NDR2

Does anyone here notice or feel like you’re not creative? I don’t remember ever being very creative. When playing pretend games as a child I would usually base them on things I saw on TV or other things I saw in life. Creative writing in school was always hard for me. It was definitely hard to make something up in a short time. Often I’d end up rewriting a story I’d already heard or read, with perhaps some minor changes. Even doing arts and crafts projects I might copy something someone else was doing or something already existing than come up with my own ideas.

Any thoughts?

Depends on the context. I consider myself a creative person, but my creativity can and does cyclically come to a crashing halt. Probably the most obvious sign regarding the ebb and flow of my chronic clinical depression.

Being creative isn't limited to writing, music, art, or preforming. It is just a different dialect of curiosity and a willingness to learn, to try.

Science has formulas for testing things, but the experiments and hypotheses...those are determined by the individual.

Computer coding, game design, cooking...it all takes creativity in one form or another.

I'm not good at much of anything, thusly, not particularly qualified in the realm of insight.

Creativity is problem solving, it is taking existing parts and reconfiguring them in a way that is unique to the individual.

Last edited:
Coming up with a story or drawing something is one way of being creative. Being presented with a problem and finding a solution when you cannot solve it in your regular way is also a way of creativity.
And there are many more.
I cannot really write or draw unique things. But I can solve problems in many ways. So would you consider me creative or not?

I have a very vivid and graphic imagination but when it comes to inventing stories I'm hopeless. I can draw reasonably well but it's not something I enjoy. (hate it) My creativity expresses itself more in the technical world than in the arts. I love wildlife photography and tinkering with computer programming.

I can write things but only if I'm sticking to reality. I seem to have zero fiction in me. I cannot invent stories. I'm creative when it comes to spotting, solving and anticipating problems based on my current knowledge of reality. I'm also very good at drawing things if I'm copying a picture or something I can see, but I am incapable of drawing something that I don't see/would be imagining.

I have zero creative capacity. I recognize creativity in others, I just possess none myself. Upside, I have pragmatism.

This is an interesting question. On one hand, I have heard people say that I am very creative, but on the other hand, I don't feel particularly creative myself.

I think that what makes people say I'm creative, is that I'm a contrarian. If I see restraints, I like to "technically" hold myself to them, but do so in a different ways than most others. I actually really like constraints, since they tend to make me "more" creative. If I have a blank canvas (figuratively speaking) I have no idea what to do. I also never copied others since it felt like cheating to me, even if most everyone else was doing it. I actually received a full grant for a "young writers" creative writing camp in Sweden when I was in high school, but though the 10 days were really fun, not much stuck with me and I didn't keep on writing.

You see, the issues is that I have almost no artistic impulse. I consider myself as having above average writing skills thanks to my mother who has a degree in Latin and used to comb over essays and school projects with me, but when I'm by myself, I don't really have the impulse to create. Even in kindergarten, I didn't draw like the other kids and I never doodled in notebooks during class nor did I like arts and crafts. I have written a few poems, but for the most part, they were either for a specific reason (like a show of skill) or done out of a sense of obligation, like I "should" be writing poems because it's something I'm good at and it makes me seem more interesting. I haven't written any for years now as I understand that it isn't really an enjoyable activity for me which I'm getting much out of. I enjoyed writing essays in school, but that was also for a specific purpose, and not something I would do by my own volition.

Ultimately, I would say that I'm more of a consumer of art than a creator. I don't have that "spark" of creativity which propels me to create, but I enjoy consuming and analyzing art in most of its forms. I think I would enjoy being a critic, except that again, I'm not motivated enough to write reviews without wages or an audience. I might just be very, very lazy...

Does anyone here notice or feel like you’re not creative? I don’t remember ever being very creative. When playing pretend games as a child I would usually base them on things I saw on TV or other things I saw in life. Creative writing in school was always hard for me. It was definitely hard to make something up in a short time. Often I’d end up rewriting a story I’d already heard or read, with perhaps some minor changes. Even doing arts and crafts projects I might copy something someone else was doing or something already existing than come up with my own ideas.

Any thoughts?
I lived mostly in my head and very little in real life. Without a lot of fantasy, it would have been a boring place. Creativity is just fantasy shared.

When it came to doing art projects and such, mine sucked. Partly due to art class being boring and partly due to horrible eye-hand coordination. I could never get lines straight or smoothly curved like the other kids. My paint always seemed to run, my proportions were always off, and my paper mache' looked bad. Pretty musch assumed i had no artistic talent.

OTOH, when I got into photography at a later age, I did much better. I instinctively composed pictures and tried to tell a story rather than just taking snapshots.

I was pretty good at creative writing because I'd just have a fantasy and follow it where it would go. They had wheels within wheels and unexpected turns. My penmanship was horrible, and that's what half the grade was all about.

New Threads

Top Bottom