• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Noise

I had the same problem. My cousins live in a small town in the state of New York. In the 70's the town used an air-raid siren to alert the volunteer fire department. That siren terrified the hell out of me every time it sounded. In fact, fire drills and tornado sirens send me into a panic to this day. I get this intense rush of adrenaline leaving me feeling as if lidocaine were injected into my spine.

Concerts don't work well for me either. I would forward to going to a concert, but, when the loud music started, all I could think about was leaving. I can't tolerate night clubs, weddings, sporting events or any other situation encumbered with loud noise. I am very sensitive to "auditory overload."
Made the mistake of going to nightclubs when I was 17. I had no idea then I was on the spectrum and all I really wanted to do was stay in but my parents were always pushing me to go and go out with people my own age etc. I wasn't really that bothered but I gave in because they wanted me to be "normal". I was like the person in that Smiths/Morrissey song How Soon Is Now.

What is that? Tell us about it

Yeah I'm honestly kinda curious as to what "noise music" is too, I dont think I've ever heard that term before.

But anyway, I wanted to say, I experience the audio sensitivity too. Its super loud sounds that always get me (pitch doesnt usually matter too much, just sheer volume).

It's most frustrating with the furry earthquake machine- er, I mean, my dog. He barks loud enough to shake the house (so, naturally, he also barks at everything, because of course).

I love the crazy doofus but I have to typically go to a different part of the house if he starts going bonkers too much (the exact volume can vary depending on just how agitated he's gotten).

Yeah I'm honestly kinda curious as to what "noise music" is too, I dont think I've ever heard that term before.

But anyway, I wanted to say, I experience the audio sensitivity too. Its super loud sounds that always get me (pitch doesnt usually matter too much, just sheer volume).

It's most frustrating with the furry earthquake machine- er, I mean, my dog. He barks loud enough to shake the house (so, naturally, he also barks at everything, because of course).

I love the crazy doofus but I have to typically go to a different part of the house if he starts going bonkers too much (the exact volume can vary depending on just how agitated he's gotten).
Kids and dogs, both noisy. My son can be bad sometimes, screaming and whining. I have to go upstairs out of the way if his mum is here with him.

Kids and dogs, both noisy. My son can be bad sometimes, screaming and whining. I have to go upstairs out of the way if his mum is here with him.

Oh yeah, kids can be tough to deal with too.

Whenever my brother comes over with his kid, who is 3 now, I think, well... I can expect screaming. So much screaming.

The smaller of my two dogs, Dingle (the big loud one is Cooper) can handle the big one's enormous doom barks (and then she adds to it despite usually not knowing what's being barked at) but even she cant deal with my nephew's random shrieking.

We both typically hide for much of it. Which I always feel bad about doing (not that I'm good at interacting anyway), but at the same time I know my brother fully understands why I have to.

Yes, you'll find that a lot on an autism forum. And you say you've been posting a lot but this is the first I've seen. I wouldn't worry about it.

Oh yeah, kids can be tough to deal with too.

Whenever my brother comes over with his kid, who is 3 now, I think, well... I can expect screaming. So much screaming.

The smaller of my two dogs, Dingle (the big loud one is Cooper) can handle the big one's enormous doom barks (and then she adds to it despite usually not knowing what's being barked at) but even she cant deal with my nephew's random shrieking.

We both typically hide for much of it. Which I always feel bad about doing (not that I'm good at interacting anyway), but at the same time I know my brother fully understands why I have to.
My son is on the spectrum too so his speech is not that great, he mixes words up and says things out of context. It's very hard to understand what is wrong or what his needs are so it makes it worse when he is having a meltdown or screaming.

We have a pub across the road that would have parties on a Saturday night and that meant lots of boom, boom bass music. When we first moved here , the first Saturday we were upstairs putting up a new wardrobe and I could hear it and it was making me even more stressed out with the IKEA wardrobe we were trying to put together. I kept saying "that music is doing my head in" to which she replied "what music, I can't hear anything".
The wife and I were in a restaurant,...well, more like a noisy pizza parlor/pub,...high industrial ceilings,...the cacophony of noise was intense,...I haven't been back. So, I am struggling to hear my wife who is sitting across the small table from me,...basically, I am being forced to lip read and guess what she is saying. I caught a 1970's "one-hit wonder" rock song playing overhead,...I pipe up and say to my wife,..."Wow, that takes me back. I haven't heard that song in ages." My wife look at me perplexed,...she can't hear ANY music, let alone the song I was trying to sing back to her so she might recognize it.

Keep in mind,...this is the same woman,...who when we had kids in the house,...could hear a pin drop on the carpet at the neighbors house. My how times have changed.

New Threads

Top Bottom