• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Newly diagnosed, not out yet

Hi Thinx, thanks for validating me...it is taking time to get used to this aspect of myself. Im at a stage in my acceptance where Im still trying to separate what would be autism and what would be neurotypical. Its driving me a little crazy. As per the usual I will think it to death then realize the thinking isnt helping then try to put t down. Its a process, I used to detest that expression, yet Ive come to understand it, own it. :) Thanks for writing.

Welcome to the forum Magpie. It's difficult to separate how we think of ourselves and some of the traits of autism. It's most definitely a conundrum. Don't think I've ever been able to to. Aspects of personality that make us individuals are certainly hard to pinpoint as it relates to the manner in which our brains function. Nature and nurture combined.

Hello Autism Forums, the site has instructed me to post an introduction as I am new to the community. Im 58 yo and received my ASD diagnosis June 2019, 8ish months ago. Ive been struggling to accept the diagnosis. Some days Im all in other, days I hear “You don’t look autistic!” and doubt the neurodevelopmental psyche eval. Ive joined bc Im sure the diagnosis is correct, yet haven’t come out all the way (about fifteen people know, excluding this forum of course). I feel alone and wanted to be around others with ASD, I prefer condition (ASC) to disorder… when in Rome . If youd like to say ‘hi’ you are most welcome, until then Ill tool around for anecdotes and information. Warmly, Magpie

Welcome Magpie!

I am 61, have has a good career, and it never occurred to me that I could have ASD until recently. But I have chronic insomnia, and am having some issues with anxiety and depression. Also, I have always had social issues. So, now I am scheduled to meet with a behavioral doctor in about a week and then a psychiatrist on January 30th. I don't know what to expect really.

Anyway welcome to the forums!

Welcome Magpie!

I am 61, have has a good career, and it never occurred to me that I could have ASD until recently. But I have chronic insomnia, and am having some issues with anxiety and depression. Also, I have always had social issues. So, now I am scheduled to meet with a behavioral doctor in about a week and then a psychiatrist on January 30th. I don't know what to expect really.

Anyway welcome to the forums!
Thank you for your welcome Rasputin, I appreciate you. There arent medications for autism but a psychiatrist may be able to treat depression and anxiety (two of the most co-occurring mental health concerns associated with autism, pretty sure insomnia is frequently part of the landscape as well). A behaviorist typically helps people with autism navigate the social world differently. I am still finding the language to iterate my social experiences. Ive been passing for so long, it can be difficult to know what came before adaptation. Glad you found a direction, good luck at the end of the month. :)

Hi Magpie :)

welcome to af.png

Hello Autism Forums, the site has instructed me to post an introduction as I am new to the community. Im 58 yo and received my ASD diagnosis June 2019, 8ish months ago. Ive been struggling to accept the diagnosis. Some days Im all in other, days I hear “You don’t look autistic!” and doubt the neurodevelopmental psyche eval. Ive joined bc Im sure the diagnosis is correct, yet haven’t come out all the way (about fifteen people know, excluding this forum of course). I feel alone and wanted to be around others with ASD, I prefer condition (ASC) to disorder… when in Rome . If youd like to say ‘hi’ you are most welcome, until then Ill tool around for anecdotes and information. Warmly, Magpie

I can understand that, I just got diagnosed myself and it’s something new and scary but I’m learning that it just means I’m unique and have a different perspective then others. I feel like there is a processing period, where you feel sad and frustrated then you learn that you are beautiful and have a lot to offer❤️

Hiya Magpie!

I also only told close friends and family. So far, has worked out just fine!
Welcome! :)

It’s not the worst diagnosis to get... LoL!

I am 55 y/o and got my diagnosis 6 yrs ago. It certainly helped my wife (3 of 3) who has a background in psychology to realize that I wasn’t actually the complete asshole she had thought I was for 5 yrs, but symptomatic of the syndrome. btw... sometimes I am being an asshole, for purposes of resentment venting, but don’t tell her that.

It’s not the worst diagnosis to get... LoL!

I am 55 y/o and got my diagnosis 6 yrs ago. It certainly helped my wife (3 of 3) who has a background in psychology to realize that I wasn’t actually the complete asshole she had thought I was for 5 yrs, but symptomatic of the syndrome. btw... sometimes I am being an asshole, for purposes of resentment venting, but don’t tell her that.

The irony of your wife having a background in psychology was not lost on me; your message gave a welcomed chuckle tonight (the chuckle is partly the joke and partly that I got it). Despite being autistic myself when I dated an a super high functioning autistic man I was never really sure what I was looking at, I was blindsided really and I also have a background in psychology. I have to remember we make up only 2% of the US population, its not the usual experience and the traits are perhaps therefore not expected nor assumed, hence an asshole. ;-) I wont tell your wife that you sometimes act like an asshole as payback for a resentment, yet I have to wonder how long can a relationship sustain passive aggressive behavior. ho hum...
Thanks for the snickers

Hiya Magpie!

I also only told close friends and family. So far, has worked out just fine!
Welcome! :)

I think my cover is blown at work...people who have snubbed me for months are suddenly talking to me and doing presentations on disabilities, saying good morning to me and hugging me, ugh. After having been so judgmental toward me Im not sure I can trust this other side of them.

I can understand that, I just got diagnosed myself and it’s something new and scary but I’m learning that it just means I’m unique and have a different perspective then others. I feel like there is a processing period, where you feel sad and frustrated then you learn that you are beautiful and have a lot to offer❤️

I think Im in the sad and frustrated part right now. Mostly Im happy for my diagnosis bc it explains a lot and I think autistic people are awesome, we have a boat load to contribute. Other times, like tonight, I feel really bad for that little girl who grew up without support. I know self pity isnt attractive but there it is. I am however very grateful my bosses know about my diagnosis and support me. Ive had enough of today, I better get to bed. Thanks for writing

New Threads

Top Bottom