• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Georgia Galaxy

Georgie Girl <3
V.I.P Member
For anyone who watches, do you feel like both YouTube and YouTubers are going through a change lately? I've seen some of the younger, newer ones taking breaks for mental health, but it's sad because this cool guy, TheEternalSamurai, who does Sonic and MLP videos, has decided to take a pretty long break. I love his videos and feel like they're the only nice and predictable thing on YouTube right now. My recommended mostly has Shorts, some of which I delete because I'm not interested due to violence or hard topics I'm not willing to see. One last thing, I love how my channel has evolved, but I'm also taking a break from that :) So, what's your experience with YouTube in 2023?

I have noticed gameplay videos YouTubers upload are longer than they used to be. They would usually be 20 to 30 minute video, but now they are around 45 minutes to over an hour. I like the longer videos better than the short ones. Also, I would have to say I really miss YouTubes dislike button. It would really narrow down how good a video would be. I really miss it! :confounded:

I have noticed gameplay videos YouTubers upload are longer than they used to be. They would usually be 20 to 30 minute video, but now they are around 45 minutes to over an hour. I like the longer videos better than the short ones. Also, I would have to say I really miss YouTubes dislike button. It would really narrow down how good a video would be. I really miss it! :confounded:
Mhmm..... But I'm sad because I don't get longer videos in my recommended like I used to :( YouTube has changed drastically and I've been on it for over ten years now. I like the longer videos too ^^ Yo same..... I'm glad you agree and are nostalgic for how YouTube used to be ^^. I'm kinda sad too cause some of my favourite gameplay videos have since been deleted and I can never watch them again, plus companies like Mattel and Nintendo blocking movies and soundtracks.

Mhmm..... But I'm sad because I don't get longer videos in my recommended like I used to :( YouTube has changed drastically and I've been on it for over ten years now. I like the longer videos too ^^ Yo same..... I'm glad you agree and are nostalgic for how YouTube used to be ^^. I'm kinda sad too cause some of my favourite gameplay videos have since been deleted and I can never watch them again, plus companies like Mattel and Nintendo blocking movies and soundtracks.
Yes same I hate seeing YouTubers deleting their old videos because they have been copyrighted claimed by people and companies. You can’t even use a song without a claim on the entire video. It’s frustrating and annoying. I also do not like the YouTube shorts too because they are very annoying to me. I don’t like the content with the shorts they give me a headache.

Depending on what browser you're using, there are extensions that bring it back.

I never saw the point of getting rid of the dislike counter anyway: the video maker still sees the dislikes on their end, which contradicts Alphabet's lame reason for eliminating it in the first place.

Yes same I hate seeing YouTubers deleting their old videos because they have been copyrighted claimed by people and companies. You can’t even use a song without a claim on the entire video. It’s frustrating and annoying. I also do not like the YouTube shorts too because they are very annoying to me. I don’t like the content with the shorts they give me a headache.
I've gotten copyright claimed several times on my videos, too! It is kinda silly. Yeah same........ It's best not to get in the habit of scrolling through Shorts. They fry my brain and bore me sometimes.

I use Youtube all the time, and yeah, it can be... annoying.

The main thing for me is that the recommendations are often not exactly helpful. If I want something new, I'm gonna have to do some more careful searching.

Doesnt help that the almighty algorithm is made entirely of distilled crazy. Which probably factors in to the idea of video creators getting stressed out. They either entirely follow the ever-changing whims of the algorithm, or their channel falls apart. And that can get REALLY stupid. Like, there's one channel I followed for the long time, SCP Explained, I think is the name, and their videos were just lovely for the longest time... and then the algorithm changed. Now, to get noticed, they must stick pop culture references in there and have them show up in the thumbnails and names of the videos. As a dedicated SCP fan, I gotta say, I wasnt exactly pleased about this. It's the equivilent of a Godzilla fan who is used to "what if" videos of Godzilla VS various giant monsters, but now they're getting videos of "What if Godzilla fought THIS POPULAR SINGER WHO TURNED GIANT???!?!?!?" and... yeah, bloody stupid. aaaaaaaaaaagh

But they dont have much choice when the algorithm upon which their jobs depend just abruptly declares that they either start doing that nonsense, or their channel falls apart.

I'll stop rambling about that though.

I've found that once I do find channels that are the sort to stick with their content style, I'll just sorta staple myself to them and watch their stuff A LOT and not look for many others. Like, there's 2-3 main channels I watch and I dont stray too much.

As for topics I dont like showing up, or things like that, that's very, very rare for me. I got into the habit of always immediately clicking "dont show me this again" or "dont show me this entire channel again" on anything I wouldnt want to watch (politics stuff in particular, I hate that stuff) showing up on the recommendations page. As of now, it's very, very rare that something gets through that isnt related to gaming or my other very narrow range of interests, simply because I've focused it down like that.

Depending on what browser you're using, there are extensions that bring it back.

I never saw the point of getting rid of the dislike counter anyway: the video maker still sees the dislikes on their end, which contradicts Alphabet's lame reason for eliminating it in the first place.

There's a couple of ideas on why it was done.

Youtube themselves put out a reason stating that it was because some creators were seeing themselves hit with "dislike attacks" where they'd just get spammed by them to get people to ignore their videos. I've seen this done to LGBT creators, for instance, or other similarly problematic reasons. Or sometimes even just to troll someone for no reason at all. It's not a phenomenon that only happens on Youtube, either. I see this just over on Steam sometimes, too, where it's even dumber. Of course on Steam, it sure doesnt hide the negative reviews, and a review bombing can utterly kill any game's chance of selling whatsoever.

Another thing that might factor in: a lot of videos put out by major corporations basically act like ads, or in other ways are manipulative, and people often dislike the heck outta them... I've seen this with videos related to the AAA side of the gaming industry OFTEN. Like, really, really, REALLY often. That hurts sales. It also hurts their reputation with Youtube... neither profit much off of stuff that's getting ignored. And these are BIG companies, which means BIG money involved... you do the math on that one.

Vinesauce, probably my favorite YT channel. They're NOT for kids, so be careful watching. I've been watching them since Vinny's Scribblenauts videos, I remember the very first of Vinny's videos I watched was of an old bootleg Mario game on the MSX called "Super BOY" .... heh... I've been watching them ever since. I've noticed that Vinny seemed to be a lot "calmer" in his older videos, he does something called "Corruption Stockpile", he takes a specially made glitch program that forces game data to scramble itself, and usually we have results like Mario's face turning upside down (or having his head placed into his knee!!), Link's eyes becoming mouths(!), Mega Man shooting copies of himself instead of Mega Bullets, and nowadays we have people figuring out how to make corruptions look like Creepypastas so now there are Corruption Stockpiles where a game will pretend to have an error screen and tell him to turn off the console, only to play the most God-awful sounds while the error message retypes itself into "RUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUN". His reactions to it all just get more and more outrageous with time.

only to play the most God-awful sounds while the error message retypes itself into "RUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUN".

I saw this one just recently, that was amazing, I love stuff like that. And his reaction to it just made it that much better.

I use Youtube all the time, and yeah, it can be... annoying.

The main thing for me is that the recommendations are often not exactly helpful. If I want something new, I'm gonna have to do some more careful searching.

Doesnt help that the almighty algorithm is made entirely of distilled crazy. Which probably factors in to the idea of video creators getting stressed out. They either entirely follow the ever-changing whims of the algorithm, or their channel falls apart. And that can get REALLY stupid. Like, there's one channel I followed for the long time, SCP Explained, I think is the name, and their videos were just lovely for the longest time... and then the algorithm changed. Now, to get noticed, they must stick pop culture references in there and have them show up in the thumbnails and names of the videos. As a dedicated SCP fan, I gotta say, I wasnt exactly pleased about this. It's the equivilent of a Godzilla fan who is used to "what if" videos of Godzilla VS various giant monsters, but now they're getting videos of "What if Godzilla fought THIS POPULAR SINGER WHO TURNED GIANT???!?!?!?" and... yeah, bloody stupid. aaaaaaaaaaagh

But they dont have much choice when the algorithm upon which their jobs depend just abruptly declares that they either start doing that nonsense, or their channel falls apart.

I'll stop rambling about that though.

I've found that once I do find channels that are the sort to stick with their content style, I'll just sorta staple myself to them and watch their stuff A LOT and not look for many others. Like, there's 2-3 main channels I watch and I dont stray too much.

As for topics I dont like showing up, or things like that, that's very, very rare for me. I got into the habit of always immediately clicking "dont show me this again" or "dont show me this entire channel again" on anything I wouldnt want to watch (politics stuff in particular, I hate that stuff) showing up on the recommendations page. As of now, it's very, very rare that something gets through that isnt related to gaming or my other very narrow range of interests, simply because I've focused it down like that.

There's a couple of ideas on why it was done.

Youtube themselves put out a reason stating that it was because some creators were seeing themselves hit with "dislike attacks" where they'd just get spammed by them to get people to ignore their videos. I've seen this done to LGBT creators, for instance, or other similarly problematic reasons. Or sometimes even just to troll someone for no reason at all. It's not a phenomenon that only happens on Youtube, either. I see this just over on Steam sometimes, too, where it's even dumber. Of course on Steam, it sure doesnt hide the negative reviews, and a review bombing can utterly kill any game's chance of selling whatsoever.

Another thing that might factor in: a lot of videos put out by major corporations basically act like ads, or in other ways are manipulative, and people often dislike the heck outta them... I've seen this with videos related to the AAA side of the gaming industry OFTEN. Like, really, really, REALLY often. That hurts sales. It also hurts their reputation with Youtube... neither profit much off of stuff that's getting ignored. And these are BIG companies, which means BIG money involved... you do the math on that one.
Me too with the searching thing, but luckily I still get pretty good recommendations from time to time ^^ I'm a little obsessed with discovering new things and music so I love getting music~ Same with only having a few channels, I mention them in the "Un-Personal" section of my aesthetic: GeorgiaCore Steam: Aww that's sad :( Advertising: Hmm,,, it's interesting how you put it that way.. I guess that explains why some people don't like Disney or Nintendo because of stuff they've done, but not the content? Thanks for giving the info ^^ It does explain quite a lot, cause I remember being shocked when COPPA came along and the dislike button was removed. One good thing is... I'm glad I have YouTube Premium :) Sadly those who don't have it though will be swarmed with adss.

Vinesauce, probably my favorite YT channel. They're NOT for kids, so be careful watching. I've been watching them since Vinny's Scribblenauts videos, I remember the very first of Vinny's videos I watched was of an old bootleg Mario game on the MSX called "Super BOY" .... heh... I've been watching them ever since. I've noticed that Vinny seemed to be a lot "calmer" in his older videos, he does something called "Corruption Stockpile", he takes a specially made glitch program that forces game data to scramble itself, and usually we have results like Mario's face turning upside down (or having his head placed into his knee!!), Link's eyes becoming mouths(!), Mega Man shooting copies of himself instead of Mega Bullets, and nowadays we have people figuring out how to make corruptions look like Creepypastas so now there are Corruption Stockpiles where a game will pretend to have an error screen and tell him to turn off the console, only to play the most God-awful sounds while the error message retypes itself into "RUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUN". His reactions to it all just get more and more outrageous with time.
Yo I've watched some of their clips before, pretty funny, I kinda get why people like them :) I used to watch Game Grumps as well but apparently they have a bad reputation. When I mentioned gaming videos that got taken down, I'm referring to ZackScott's original The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Let's Play that I enjoyed as a kid, and a lovely woman who played Bratz: Rock Angelz and had a really soothing voice. Luckily every other video I watched as a kid is still up :)

Lol it's really funny when you put it like that, videos tend to be like that nowadays. There was a creepypasta craze with Sonic.exe in the Friday Night Funkin fandom, and the GameTunes YouTube channel is a fan of hopping on trends as well. I like their Fall Guys, Among Us, and FNF videos tho for how ironically and unironically good and bad they are :)

New Threads

Top Bottom