• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New TV series The Bridge features an aspie female protagonist

I don't know if you've seen the original of this show, the character there is quite aspie-like, though I don't believe there's any mention of it.

I am curious about whether anyone involved in creating this show has AS, or whether they (what do you call TV-show-makers?) only see Aspergers from the outside.

Alex Plank, one of the founders of a popular AS forum (one we don't really like to mention around here) worked on the show as an Asperger's consultant, so that may be a good sign.

I watched the first episode of this show earlier this evening and I thought it was good. Sonya, the main character is someone I found myself able to relate to even if she does some things that seem a bit cold-blooded. At one point, she tells someone "I'm sorry for not performing empathy," I hope that as the show goes along, the writers make it clear that aspies do have empathy, and even if we have issues with cognitive empathy, we feel emotional empathy.

I'm watching the first episode now, it's interesting and her character does seem quite aspie, but I gotta agree with IContainMultitudes that she comes across as cold at points. Might be worth checking out the original show!

So I watched the first episode as well. I thought it was pretty ok.

There was a fair share of things I could relate to with her, though it irked me somewhat how she is being told "don't do this" and "do this" by her boss at the policestation. But maybe that's just me being an aspie who is not interested in being told what to do. On top of the fact that I felt that I agreed with how she did certain things. Being told, even if it's a fictional story "You can't do that" just felt kinda wrong to me. It seemed that no matter how rational you can be, there's always this change for people to tell you it's wrong. It just made me realize more that "we" apparently act less out of emotion, at least judging from the show.

I did however think some stuff came across as an exageration a bit. As an aspie you recognize a lot of things in such a character, but it kinda felt like they had to go that extra mile to make it really obvious how "weird" she was.

Maybe I'm biased in that I'm not that big of a fan of remakes, but I felt the original (the swedish/danish one) had a more subtle approach.

[/SIZEI felt the show was good. I think we need have more authentic portrayals of women with Autism and Aspergers. I think that while it was bit more obvious that she was what people would dub a tad weird. I felt that it was decently accurate in terms of how she might approach someone and then not really told by her boss what to do but it was more of a reminder. Like we all need reminders to look at people to do certain things. But all in all I will continue to watch and see where it leads.

So I watched the first episode as well. I thought it was pretty ok.

There was a fair share of things I could relate to with her, though it irked me somewhat how she is being told "don't do this" and "do this" by her boss at the policestation. But maybe that's just me being an aspie who is not interested in being told what to do. On top of the fact that I felt that I agreed with how she did certain things. Being told, even if it's a fictional story "You can't do that" just felt kinda wrong to me. It seemed that no matter how rational you can be, there's always this change for people to tell you it's wrong. It just made me realize more that "we" apparently act less out of emotion, at least judging from the show.

I did however think some stuff came across as an exageration a bit. As an aspie you recognize a lot of things in such a character, but it kinda felt like they had to go that extra mile to make it really obvious how "weird" she was.

Maybe I'm biased in that I'm not that big of a fan of remakes, but I felt the original (the swedish/danish one) had a more subtle approach.
I know this is very late, but I agree with you that the Swedish/Danish version is great (I've been watching it a lot lately), and I thought I should put a good word in for it too.

New Threads

Top Bottom