• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New study suggests playing video games not linked to physical aggression

And of course, while many people of a scientific inclination have a tendency to declare themselves as purely objective/logical and free of bias, well... yeah, that's not how any of that works.
Humanity is imperfect, agreed, but as I like to say, those who have a desire to be objective and open-minded are in a much better position to be "objective and open-minded".
Others simply embrace their personal narrative with no interest in thinking outside the box.

Some ppl value scientific methodology, while others find emotional security more important.
The desire for integrity is a major factor here.
If it is more important than being right, one Truely embraces the scientific ethos. :cool:

BTW, do I know you from another website?
You remind me of someone. :koala:

BTW, do I know you from another website?
You remind me of someone.

It's possible, maybe?

I've been in a zillion different places online, I use the name "Misery" in most of them (unless it's taken by someone else before I get there, of course").

Being a life long gamer I have always found the idea that video games cause violence absurd.
You are entitled to your opinion...
Hang on, let me think about that. :koala:
Yes, you are. :p

But before we make such grand comments, we really need to define the context of the discussion.
As I alluded to stated, I believe most of these studies revolve around the influences of violent video games on young, impressionable minds.
This is different to a study of the effect on more mature ppl.

What is "good" for you isn't a static thing. It evolves with cultural change and technology. Most parents define "good" as how they were raised. People have been griping about the kids all going to heck at least since the dawn of writing. It is a generational thing.
"Cultural/Generational Relativity" needs to be considered. :cool:

Also yes, the politicalization of things like this doesnt help. Some people are just so quick to give... ahem... "results" if those results provide them with some sort of benefit. Not that they'll admit that, of course.
Society is saturated with influences perverting Truth, agreed.
And, "Peer Review" has been seen to be no guarantee of the integrity of findings.
Hence the need of critical thinking and skepticism. :cool:

You are entitled to your opinion...
Hang on, let me think about that. :koala:
Yes, you are. :p

But before we make such grand comments, we really need to define the context of the discussion.
As I alluded to stated, I believe most of these studies revolve around the influences of violent video games on young, impressionable minds.
This is different to a study of the effect on more mature ppl.
Yes, I understand where you’re coming from. From my personal experience (having once had a young impressionable mind myself): I remember the first time I encountered violence in a video game. I was 9 years old at the time. I thought it was funny, but it was funny because it was something that is clearly not okay to do in real life. Much like 9 year old me knew dropping an anvil on someone isn’t okay, but it can still be funny in a cartoon.

Yes, I understand where you’re coming from. From my personal experience (having once had a young impressionable mind myself): I remember the first time I encountered violence in a video game. I was 9 years old at the time. I thought it was funny, but it was funny because it was something that is clearly not okay to do in real life. Much like 9 year old me knew dropping an anvil on someone isn’t okay, but it can still be funny in a cartoon.
Others have made the point that personal tendencies/personalities need to be considered.
What may not affect you may affect someone else.

It's possible, maybe?

I've been in a zillion different places online, I use the name "Misery" in most of them (unless it's taken by someone else before I get there, of course").
I'm rather unforgettable. :p
If you don't recognise me then you are very probably not the person I was thinking of.
Carry on. :cool:

Of course they don't. Being a natural test subject under no studies to speak of, I don't need a peer reviewed one to come to that conclusion.

Personally I don't believe such potential catalysts for how some people may create mayhem is as important as the ability of medical science to identify who they actually are. Yet those same parties involved must grapple with legal systems which don't necessarily allow or encourage preemptive intervention on behalf of public safety.

Even when such people post their intent online in plain view, or share their intentions with friends and relatives. While still leaving medical and law enforcement professionals to shrug their shoulders, as they're not in a legal and professional position to do anything about it.

Continued studies on what catalysts might promote violence on a broad scale for a very few may ultimately be a waste of time as opposed to studying the individual pathology of actual perpetrators. That when it comes to truly "deviant behavior", I don't believe there's any "one size fits all" catalysts to consider, let alone studied. Where one study with one conclusion is always followed by another with a different conclusion.

However it's all a moot point unless laws change to allow for preemptively intercepting such persons before they commit a criminal act. Which seems about as legally likely as the basic plot in the film "Minority Report". A fictional criticism of the very notion of preemptive law enforcement.

Reflecting the possibility that under the present circumstances, there may be no solution to such issues.

What is "good" for you isn't a static thing. It evolves with cultural change and technology. Most parents define "good" as how they were raised. People have been griping about the kids all going to heck at least since the dawn of writing. It is a generational thing.
Call me an old fossil, many do, but back when I was a kid, the degree of delinquency was much less than it is today.
There was a measure of default respect in society that the kids usually don't have these days.
"Entitlement" is king in these modern times.

That is not all to do with not watching violent video games, obviously, but it is part of the problem based on my around 20 years of online/multiplayer gaming.
The degree of bullying, threatening, and trolling is epic in games these days.

In some ways, society these days has changed for the good.
In others, not so much.
Drugs, violence in the media, and lack of discipline all played a part in the declining moral standards, IMO.
Violent video games influencing impressionable younger kids is simply a probable factor, IMO.
I definitely can't see it helping social respect, even if there is a degree of catharsis involved.

But to be clear, I am not and can never see myself advocating the censoring of violent video games.
I am simply making "observations." :cool:

New Threads

Top Bottom