• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New Job, Scared, need tips!

zipit29

Hey gang!

Sorry I haven't been here in a long time. I just got hired at a McDonalds in my area and I am so nervous! I am seriously very scared. I am afraid I wont be able to do a good job, I'm afraid of what people will say to me. are there any tips you aspies can give me to help me calm myself so I can concentrate on my job and wont have a panic attack or breakdown? I hear its pretty fast paced and I just want to do the best that I can. Thanks in advance!

Rachel A

Congratulations & also good luck to you Rachel! I will have to leave it up to others here to give you advice, but I can offer the following simple tips to help manage your anxiety.

Try to get enough rest so you are not over tired. Eat healthy & make sure you're hydrated. I would recommend eating proteins, say eggs for breakfast versus carbs & avoid sugary foods. Include some exercise or physical activity in your daily routine. Practice deep breathing ... breath in deeply through your nose & exhale fully through your mouth with pursed lips. Are you religious or spiritual? If yes, adopt a mantra such as "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not fear" or something like that, even "I am okay, I will be okay" ... because at root of anxiety is FEAR. Panic attacks occur when the brain's amygdala more or less gets switched on & hyper reacts. Learning to manage your fear should help to some degree. First of all do NOT anticipate that you will or should be fearful. You will do your best & that will be good enough. Just focus on what you are learning to do & need to do. Try to NOT worry or even think about what people will say or think or how anyone will react to you. Think of a guardian angel -someone who loves you - as accompanying you throughout the day & protecting & guiding you. You have no reason to be fearful - or any more anxious than any person would be when starting a new job - because you are capable of doing what is needed, & you will improve & get better as you go along. Tamp down that fear & keep reminding yourself that you are going to be fine & you are going to do a good job. And take it one day at a time.

Employers like McDonalds are usually desperate for honest, reliable, hardworking employees. So someone like you will be valued & appreciated. All you need to do is push your fears to the side & KNOW you will be okay, & you CAN do the job. I don't even know you but just based on your thoughtful & intelligent request made here I am fully confident you CAN & WILL excel. There are also opportunities for advancement over time at McDonalds, & besides being a decent job it will provide you with excellent experience. So this is a win-win.
But don't let that create fear or pressure either because even in the worst case scenario, that it doesn't work out, you just start again. Many very successful people have failed & started over many times. So even that outcome - i.e.; the worst possible outcome - would be okay in the big picture. It would be upsetting at the time, but not the end of the world & something many successful people have survived. So when you break it al down, you really have nothing to lose .... so nothing to fear :)

Start imagining yourself having a good day, staying balanced & focused, & learning some new things. I (& I'm sure some others here) will be thinking of you & sending positive thoughts your way. :)

PS - I credit Warmheart for always reminding people to stay hydrated! It is a good recommendation so I add it in case she doesn't chime in. I also know that I feel like crap & get a headache when I myself am not well hydrated! :p

. I also know that I feel like crap & get a headache when I myself am not well hydrated! :p

I get bladder infections. I'm bladder infection queen. Was just back on my throne this last Sunday. Now I'm better. :)

My advice to you, Rachel, would be like my Pa told me - do your job well and the money will follow. Some people wouldn't take a job at Mcdonald's seriously, but just starting out you sound like you really care and want to do a great job. That will show, too. You could work yourself up to a manager position in no time if you play your cards right! No stress about that, though. Just work on doing the job you were hired for first the best you can. You may have some things happen that will bring you down (I did too starting my new job a couple months ago and I still have stuff going on), but just get back up and start again! And don't concern yourself with making friends right away. You're their for the employer to do your job first. You may end up making a few friends along the way. Good luck! And don't forget we're here if you want to yap about some good news that happened or rant about something crappy that happened.

Hey gang!

Sorry I haven't been here in a long time. I just got hired at a McDonalds in my area and I am so nervous! I am seriously very scared. I am afraid I wont be able to do a good job, I'm afraid of what people will say to me. are there any tips you aspies can give me to help me calm myself so I can concentrate on my job and wont have a panic attack or breakdown? I hear its pretty fast paced and I just want to do the best that I can. Thanks in advance!

Rachel A

• Take direction from the crew lead.
  • Don't expect to be perfect.
It sounds simple, and like many simple things, it can be hard. Just remember why you're there: dish the right food as quickly as possible, and take the money :).

Oh how I know this feeling well. Just recently I discovered the more I think about it, the more I panic.

What helped was knowing they choose me. They must have seen something, to want me to do the work and so, concentrate on the positive aspects.

Great advice given, but concentrating on breathing is not as easy as it seems. I cannot do this. What calms down is playing a game or talking to my friend.

The reason you must stop dwelling on the panic, is because you end up with your insides being so knotted that you WILL trip, forget things etc and thus CONFIRMING you are useless. So the best way is to NOT think about all of what could happen, but the fact you have a job and will succeed.

I like the part about concentrating on doing the job and not about making friends. I took courage and went to a concert on my own. It did not, for once, take me long, to realise there was no good going up to groups of girls and trying to befriend them. I would be seen as desperate and the opposite reaction would take place. So I concentrated on getting to my chair and calming down. I did not make even one friend, but that was ok,because I was there for the concert. Although never again lol ie on my own.

Any new job is always scary. I don't think you're alone there. But with time and some patience, you'll likely find a rhythm that you just adapt to without even noticing.

Good luck Rachel. Any new job is anxiety provoking. Focus on the positives each day. You are likely to make mistakes, we all do - that how we learn. But think of what you are learning & accomplishing each day. Don't set your expectations too high - you can't be really fast & efficient from the start. For the first few days it might help to focus on smiling and saying thank you, both to the customers, and to the staff who help you. If you can do more than this, that's a bonus. Although you want to learn the processes & do well - these take time to get good at. Do your best, stay friendly, and try to enjoy the experience even if you feel anxious to start with.

New Threads

Top Bottom