• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New here :)

tomaustin95

Just joined, I am a 46 year old male for whom the penny has dropped and just realised that I am probably Aspie. For a while I have been aware I have ADHD, but my cousin agreed and then also said I was probably slightly autistic. It was then I started reading the books and academic literature and it was like reading my own biography.....where do I start??

Since childhood I have never really "fitted in"....was never one of the pack and always was a loner. Seldom went to other kids' houses or played in the street. Spent my evenings playing with Lego or reading books. Somehow I always felt different to the other boys.

Worst part of school was the expectation to do team sports, especially football (soccer) where I live.... if you are male you are simply expected to be into it and if you are not them you are quickly singled out as some sort of freak. This led onto a lot of bullying and being treated like an outcast. By my teenage years I became very depressed and anxious. Anxiety is becoming a real burden as I have reached middle age. Even simple problems can seem overwhelming

Other symptoms??
- roll my eyes as I speak to someone, I only realised this when I videoed myself talking
- Hyperlexia as an infant, my teachers were astounded at my ability to read at speed from a very early age!
- Fussy eating - hate strong tastes, anything plant based I literally gag and try to be sick if I put it in my mouth
- Hate noisy places and noisy people
- Don't like tight fitting clothes...never wear shirt and tie unless I absolutely have to, very fussy about shoes in particular. Always wear sneakers/trainers as a general rule
- Never been much of a mixer and I get anxious at social situations or having to make conversation with strangers.
- Lots of geeky interests! A few I am obsessive about
- Take everything literally.... sometimes I just don't 'get' idioms or jokes.
- Give hyperfocus to some things, with others I just can't get my mind in gear (this is probably more ADHD admittedly...)

Well this has been a long introduction, but you all get the picture!

Hi and welcome. You sound just like so many of us here, I look forward to reading some of your stories.

Hello and welcome. I think you are in good company here. Settled in, start reading if you’d like to and let us know if you need any help finding your way around the forum.

Hi and welcome. I think it's helpful to realise that the issues are about your neurology rather than a psychological problem. And to think about how many of us are likely to also have developed some psychological problems or effects , growing up without anyone recognising this issue, or validating it as a difference that changes aspects of our experience of the world. The psychological issues can be worked on, and indeed will likely improve just through understanding ourselves better. Kind of like when the Swan realises he's not an ugly duckling.

Welcome! It seems fortuitous that your cousin would mention it at the right time for you to start your journey, and glad to have you do so with us.

Welcome.
You'll find many here with traits you will relate to.
It's a good place to be on the road of self discovery.

1677198545396.png

New Threads

Top Bottom