• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New here, just looking for answers...

Msbert828

Good morning folks! My name is Kelly, and I am grateful for you allowing me to be a part of your site and forum. I have a grandson, only a year old, but have been progressively concerned about his behaviors, or the lack there of, for some time now. I hope that I am here for no reason, but I'm afraid that isn't going to be the case.

I would like to talk to anyone who would be willing to listen to my concerns, and help advise me on what the next steps should be. Thanks so much in advance and I hope y'all have a great day!

Welcome! I hope you find the answers you seek here. As well as many people on the spectrum, there’s also quite a few parents and grandparents of children on the spectrum around here.

Hi Kelly

welcome to af.png

Sure. Ask away. We will do our best. My son and granddaughter are also autistic besides myself.

Hey there, thank you so much for allowing me to ask some questions. Honestly, I don't even know where to start. My grandson is one year old, and the absolute delight of my world! I began seeing things that seemed "off" to me around 2-3 months of age. But I dismissed it, reminding myself that all babies develop at different ages and stages. However, as time passed, I began seeing more and more signs that seemed to alert me that something just wasn't right. We just celebrated his 1st birthday a couple of weeks ago with a party, including family and few close friends. As the party progressed, the signs that I had been trying to avoid addressing were becoming more and more apparent. So...after the party, give or take a couple of days, I began researching, as at that point, I knew literally nothing about autism or Aspergers, other than they both existed, and that I had known of a child here and there that had been diagnosed with either of the two. Other than that, I was clueless.
I want to list the things that I have watched and observed over the course of his short little life, and let you give me clarity on what I am seeing. I do not expect an expert opinion, I know you guys are not doctors, but I hope that with your experiences maybe you can help me know where to go from here. The list follows below:

*Does not mimic facial gestures, such as sticking out tongue, etc.
*Did not begin making vocal sounds pertaining to vocabulary or otherwise until just a couple of months ago, and to date the only thing he says is da-da.
*Does not point at objects, nor has the ability to clue us in to what he wants or needs.
*Does not wave hello or bye-bye, and does not vocalize them either.
*Does not play baby games such as peek-a-boo or patty-cake.
*Since birth, he has always had an extreme problem with loud noises, whether made by an object, person, or people.
*Does not like crowds, nor lots of people around him at any given time.
*He has major texture issues, including hands and mouth both.
*Waves hands back and forth, in a rhythmic motion, back and forth, up and down, and often rocks back and forth.

Those are the main things that I have noticed thus far. However, he loves to be held when he is going to sleep, and even occasionally during the day. And please let me say this, as I am sure you all feel the same, but I have to say it for clarity's sake...he is PERFECT in every way! But I am just concerned that there may be something going on, and I want to make sure that we go down the right road to get whatever help he may need, including teaching us (his Mimi and Pa, as well as his parents (they all live with us)) how to teach him and mold him as he grows. We want the very best for him and I am hoping that if there is something indeed going on, then finding out earlier rather than later will benefit us all as each day passes.
I appreciate you listening to me, hearing me out, and helping me in any way you can. Thank you so much in advance!!!

Are you sure he can hear and has good vision? I would definitely share your observations with his pediatrician. Not sure he/she would be much help but it is possible his doctor is knowledgeable about autism. Sadly, it seems that most may not be for some reason.

Have you googled videos of autistic children and babies? Though, as you will soon learn if you have met one autistic person you have met one autistic person. Because one baby does something doesn't mean your baby has to do it or vise versa. But most of the autistic symptoms are present when we are babies. As we grow up around other children and adults we learn to mask. But right now he is not able to mask. He could well be autistic. I would have to see him in action.

I would try mimicking him. Echo his sounds back to him and his arm movements. See if that gets a response. Many autistic children really like it when they are mimicked. I mean in play, obviously making fun of someone is not fun for anyone. But as a family game it can help you connect with them.

Always feel free to ask. We will try our best.

Hi and welcome! I hope you gets some answers soon and I'm glad you find this site. There are many helpful, experienced and informed people here.

The Autism Society of Georgia link @Crossbreed posted up is a good one,
If you’re wondering what to do next.

There’s information on their site about diagnosis.
There’s also the ‘Baby can’t Wait’ (BCW) under the get help tab for birth to three years.

In UK, (NHS) after being signed off by the midwife shortly after birth,
A Health Visitor usually oversees mum and baby care.
Baby clinics, developmental checks during the first year and so on.
Any concerns could be raised with a Health Visitor who would liaise with or refer to the doctor.

Does Georgia have anything similar?

Are mum and dad in agreement? Are they noticing delays in development?

If you consider family medical history, can you rule out any other possible causes for the delays ?

I think it’s wonderful you care.
And yes, they are perfect aren’t they ? :)

If I were you, I’d be contacting the Autism in Georgia organisation to ask their advice about what the next steps are.

The Autism Society of Georgia link @Crossbreed posted up is a good one,
If you’re wondering what to do next.

There’s information on their site about diagnosis.
There’s also the ‘Baby can’t Wait’ (BCW) under the get help tab for birth to three years.

In UK, (NHS) after being signed off by the midwife shortly after birth,
A Health Visitor usually oversees mum and baby care.
Baby clinics, developmental checks during the first year and so on.
Any concerns could be raised with a Health Visitor who would liaise with or refer to the doctor.

Does Georgia have anything similar?

Are mum and dad in agreement? Are they noticing delays in development?

If you consider family medical history, can you rule out any other possible causes for the delays ?

I think it’s wonderful you care.
And yes, they are perfect aren’t they ? :)

If I were you, I’d be contacting the Autism in Georgia organisation to ask their advice about what the next steps are.

I will contact them tomorrow and see what I can find there. I appreciate all the help and advice because, honestly, I feel so lost and helpless in trying to figure out what to do and where to turn. You were asking about the parents...my husband and I have chosen not to discuss this with them at length until we have concrete reason to. Basically, not causing concern until there is reason for concern. I sadly feel that discussion is close at hand. Thanks again, and have a good night.

Are you sure he can hear and has good vision? I would definitely share your observations with his pediatrician. Not sure he/she would be much help but it is possible his doctor is knowledgeable about autism. Sadly, it seems that most may not be for some reason.

Have you googled videos of autistic children and babies? Though, as you will soon learn if you have met one autistic person you have met one autistic person. Because one baby does something doesn't mean your baby has to do it or vise versa. But most of the autistic symptoms are present when we are babies. As we grow up around other children and adults we learn to mask. But right now he is not able to mask. He could well be autistic. I would have to see him in action.

I would try mimicking him. Echo his sounds back to him and his arm movements. See if that gets a response. Many autistic children really like it when they are mimicked. I mean in play, obviously making fun of someone is not fun for anyone. But as a family game it can help you connect with them.

Always feel free to ask. We will try our best.

Thanks so much for the advice. I am certain his vision is on point, but his hearing...not so sure. I hadn't ever thought about it actually. I will research some info on that and see where it leads. Thanks again!

I hope they receive the information well. When I made what were helpful observations weren’t received that way by my DIL. this can be very painful to hear and receive as a parent.

Oh, I know exactly what you mean. My daughter has epilepsy as well, and I don't want her to think for a second, or blame herself, that this is in any way her fault. I feel confident that it will be received well, as she is a pretty open, and definitely amazing, young lady! However, I just don't want to cause worry preemptively, with her epilepsy issues. Thanks so much for your help!

...You were asking about the parents...my husband and I have chosen not to discuss this with them at length until we have concrete reason to...

Understandable :)

They may be wondering the same things you are ?

I guess you won’t really know ‘til you have that conversation.

I hope all goes well tomorrow and you get something helpful from the organisation.
I’d be interested to hear their advice, if you don’t mind sharing with us.

Good evening folks! I just wanted to take a minute to give an update to our situation. My grandson saw his pediatrician today, and as was suspected, he feels certain that he is on the Autism spectrum, on some level. He said it was still too early to place a label on him, and wanted to proceed with caution to make sure all areas were covered. He has started the process by referring us to a speech therapist. We are awaiting the appointment date for that. And that is the first step. We have a long road ahead of us, but are ready to face it head on to make sure our LO is able to enjoy our world as much as we do. I appreciate all of you for your help, advice, and thoughts and please, feel free to continue to send them my way. They are very much appreciated! Have a great night!

New Threads

Top Bottom