• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

new here, hello

aphelion

hey, you can call me aphelion on here. i'm 23 and i've been diagnosed since 17 with high functioning asd!
my autism affects just about every aspect of my life and i like to advocate for the understanding and accessibility of those with autism the best i can. i used to dislike being autistic but i've come to really enjoy myself and my personality.
i've been described as erratic yet calculated (haha), intelligent, distant, and kind, though a bit distant and aloof as well.
my interests include the concept of consciousness and things that relate to it, such as biology and cosmology. i'm not well versed in such subjects though, as it's hard to come across useful information, so i'm open to any cool facts and knowledge about these subjects. dna is a recent special interest of mine as well.
i also want to learn various languages, including coding languages.
i love bugs and i enjoy creating art and stories that involve my art, but i have chronic illness which makes it hard to enjoy my hobbies as often as i'd like to.

it'll be nice to meet you all!

53dff94ddf8d901c06db96c4f17df064.png

Do you have bug pics please? I tried to start a bug pics thread as while ago, but there was no interest.

There was this big spooky spider up in the rafters. I don't know what it was called. I tried to join a website, but I dont remember. It was winter of 90210 i think. Not sure. It had a large dark body about the size of a nickel, but very fat and round, crab like legs and a crouching posture. It's back looked textured like it was made of wood. I dont know what it ate. Moved to fast to see, like it was skipping.

Big webs and Circular, like a crescent moon where it attached. Lived Up high, south face, in the sun.

Last edited:
There was this big spooky spider up in the rafters. I don't know what it was called. I tried to join a website, but I dont remember. It was winter of 90210 i think. Not sure. It had a large dark body about the size of a nickel, but very fat and round, crab like legs and a crouching posture. It's back looked textured like it was made of wood. I dont know what it ate. Moved to fast to see, like it was skipping.

Big thick funnel shaped webs. Circular, like a crescent moon where it attached. Lived Up high, south face, in the sun.

Might be an orb weaver spider. There are tons of varieties.
orb weaver spider - Google Search

Or a funnel web spider
funnel weaver spider with round body - Google Search

I tried to look it up. I think that one was like it but not the same. Similar though. In mass and stance, but wrong webs I think.

I found a pic of it. I dont know what mantids are. But you may use this forum to celebrate your interests, everyone does.
20201012_090653.jpg

Only you are supposed to label it bc some folk get upset. Squeamish I guess. Or like that bet more accepting

Welcome! I was trained in molecular genetics and cell biology, but for the past decade have gotten into aquatic macroinvertebrates, mainly insects, because it gets me back into taxonomy, the basis of Biology. I collect them in local rivers then spend the time identifying them to the family level. This data is used to determine how healthy the rivers are because different orders and families differ in their sensitivity to pollutants and other physical factors like oxygen saturation. If you want to learn more and help with such projects like that, Conservation Districts always enjoy having volunteers and are happy to get people to help out. I find it loads of fun, but then, I already know I'm odd.

hey, you can call me aphelion on here. i'm 23 and i've been diagnosed since 17 with high functioning asd!
my autism affects just about every aspect of my life and i like to advocate for the understanding and accessibility of those with autism the best i can. i used to dislike being autistic but i've come to really enjoy myself and my personality.
i've been described as erratic yet calculated (haha), intelligent, distant, and kind, though a bit distant and aloof as well.
my interests include the concept of consciousness and things that relate to it, such as biology and cosmology. i'm not well versed in such subjects though, as it's hard to come across useful information, so i'm open to any cool facts and knowledge about these subjects. dna is a recent special interest of mine as well.
i love bugs and i enjoy creating art and stories that involve my art, but i have chronic illness which makes it hard to enjoy my hobbies as often as i'd like to.

I like bugs a lot too. Any particular ones that interest you? I like moths a lot, but also beetles and dragonflies are really cool.

Screenshot_20210815-003419_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20210815-002523_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20210815-003419_Instagram.jpg

People were mentioning bug pics. I have a ton but this is one of my favorite encounters. Some kind of rhinoceros or stag beetle I guess, I moved it from the path in Shanghai. I was always the kid at school who picked up bugs with no fear lol
QJqRt1R

You mentioned mantidae as well so here's another cool specimen I encountered, also in China. Honestly a big thing I miss from there is the bugs. Came across so many awesome ones, which I just don't see in my area in the states.
m0DpVvv

Last edited:
View attachment 69806 View attachment 69807 View attachment 69806
People were mentioning bug pics. I have a ton but this is one of my favorite encounters. Some kind of rhinoceros or stag beetle I guess, I moved it from the path in Shanghai. I was always the kid at school who picked up bugs with no fear lol
QJqRt1R

You mentioned mantidae as well so here's another cool specimen I encountered, also in China. Honestly a big thing I miss from there is the bugs. Came across so many awesome ones, which I just don't see in my area in the states.
m0DpVvv
Sorry my post is a bit messed up. Don't really know what I'm doing on forums lol

Hi and welcome. I like butterflies and moths, currently not keen on sawflies as their larvae are eating my little trees. Wow they can eat! But I guess they're important for something. I hope you enjoy it here and find it friendly and supportive.

:evergreen::palmtree::seedling::deciduous::cactus::leafwind::herb::bug:

New Threads

Top Bottom