• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New here. Could he have asperger's?

ProudMama

Hello. I'm the proud mother of a five year old boy and two year old girl. A little about us: My little boy started school this year and got a referral on the school behavioral screening, the lady that did the screening said she flagged my son as possible autism within five minutes due to his poor social skills and odd vocal noises. We are now waiting for his appt. at a facility that specializes in Autism for an evaluation and hopefully a diagnosis. I've been reading and trying to educate myself. I've set up a board with his schedule so he knows what to expect since change and not having a predictable routine make him anxious. My son is very intelligent (he knew the alphabet, could count to 50, knew all his colors and shapes by the time he was 2), but socially he is not like kids his age. He prefers to be alone, the teacher said he engages in play with the adults in the room but ignores the other children, he loves math, he recently got a tablet and he will play on it all day if I'd let him, he also enjoys photography and has taught himself how to use my digital camera. He can read simple sentences (See the cat run, etc. Again, self taught) I have switched him to a special education pre-k program because it is a smaller classroom (6 students total) and they are better equipped to help him. His previous class had 21 students, he was constantly overwhelmed and would act out (throw things, scream, and was constantly running around the room). He has started speech and occupational therapy. The speech therapist said he has an amazing vocabulary and can say a wide variety of great sentences but he 'echoes' lines from movies and shows quite a bit when he meets strangers or interacts with someone he doesn't see every day. Also getting him to answer on cue is difficult, but she believes it's because he is strong willed and doesn't want to. Thanks to OT I have discovered he likes deep pressure sensory and that has helped calm him and avoid meltdowns. He is a picky eater and refuses to eat any soup, gritty or slimey food, and has select ways that he likes the food prepared (breaded chicken and fish but not grilled, etc.). His pediatrician said that since he is highly intelligent, developed normally as a child, and has good speech he has high functioning autism or Asperger's. Does this sound right? If so, what else can I do to help him? Thank you for reading.

Hi, welcome to AC. Your son certainly sounds like he could be on the spectrum.
If you are seeking more information, I highly recommend Tony Attwood's book The Complete Guide to Aspergers. There's a link to it in the resources section, or if you wait a bit someone will probably post a link.

Zurb- Thank you for responding. I'll check the book out. I'm trying to educate myself as much as possible. Thanks for the suggestion.

Weird noises and poor social skills sounds like pretty much every little kid out there. But the advanced vocabulary/reading, pressure love, and overwhelming does sound like a few dead ringers.

I'll go ahead and linky link. :)

I have not yet been able to personally buy and read these, but they're up in the resource section. They seemed applicable enough to your situation.

Hello. I'm the proud mother of a five year old boy and two year old girl. A little about us: My little boy started school this year and got a referral on the school behavioral screening, the lady that did the screening said she flagged my son as possible autism within five minutes due to his poor social skills and odd vocal noises. We are now waiting for his appt. at a facility that specializes in Autism for an evaluation and hopefully a diagnosis. I've been reading and trying to educate myself. I've set up a board with his schedule so he knows what to expect since change and not having a predictable routine make him anxious. My son is very intelligent (he knew the alphabet, could count to 50, knew all his colors and shapes by the time he was 2), but socially he is not like kids his age. He prefers to be alone, the teacher said he engages in play with the adults in the room but ignores the other children, he loves math, he recently got a tablet and he will play on it all day if I'd let him, he also enjoys photography and has taught himself how to use my digital camera. He can read simple sentences (See the cat run, etc. Again, self taught) I have switched him to a special education pre-k program because it is a smaller classroom (6 students total) and they are better equipped to help him. His previous class had 21 students, he was constantly overwhelmed and would act out (throw things, scream, and was constantly running around the room). He has started speech and occupational therapy. The speech therapist said he has an amazing vocabulary and can say a wide variety of great sentences but he 'echoes' lines from movies and shows quite a bit when he meets strangers or interacts with someone he doesn't see every day. Also getting him to answer on cue is difficult, but she believes it's because he is strong willed and doesn't want to. Thanks to OT I have discovered he likes deep pressure sensory and that has helped calm him and avoid meltdowns. He is a picky eater and refuses to eat any soup, gritty or slimey food, and has select ways that he likes the food prepared (breaded chicken and fish but not grilled, etc.). His pediatrician said that since he is highly intelligent, developed normally as a child, and has good speech he has high functioning autism or Asperger's. Does this sound right? If so, what else can I do to help him? Thank you for reading.

And thank you for posting.

My son has some of those attributes, but isn't on the spectrum...you may want to verify that one of the testers is a pediatric psychiatrist or psychologist. Best thing you can do is what you're doing now: develop some awareness of what else it could be, and ask every question that occurs to you of the most qualified people available. I agree with the previous posters.

And, welcome to AC. Many hear are happy to share the walk. It's not as dark as you might fear, with friends.

Oh, one flash stood out for me: " strong willed and doesn't want to" sounds more like a mutism thing, not necessarily willful opposition. Mute episodes may precede meltdowns due to sensory overload or fear.

Also getting him to answer on cue is difficult, but she believes it's because he is strong willed and doesn't want to.

What context is this in? Like everyday situations, or is it only with new people? Is your son actually willful and defiant or is this a conclusion your son's therapist came to? Cause at least with me, not answering people is usually out of being overwhelmed in the moment. Sensory overload, being overwhelmed by being expected to participate socially, that sort of thing. As a kid, and even into early adulthood, I would blank out when someone asked me a question - even something simple. Afterwards I would know what i either wanted to say or should have said but never in the moment. The only thing that helped with that was being hired as a cashier and suddenly being expected to talk with customers. I learned an acceptable social script by listening to the conversations of other cashiers and their customers and made myself a script out of it.

Aspergergirl4hire- Thank you so much. I never thought of it possibly being a mutism thing. The lady that did the screening at his school is a caseworker for a mental health facility but has no 'formal' training. From her words 'I've been doing this job for 20 years and have gotten good at picking out the children that are not like others their age. Once they are selected we advise the parents to seek a professional for an official evaluation.' I'm not putting much stock in her opinion which is why I researched and found a wonderful facility at a university. It's a 6 hour drive for us, but is supposed to be one of the best in the country. The Dr. he will be seeing specializes in Autism and ADHD and has been treating children with these conditions for 30 years.

Kari Suttle- He is a chatterbox at home and will have conversations (mostly him speaking about his interests) with me, his dad, and his little sister. It's at school, therapy, family members he doesn't see often, etc. that he sort of freezes and won't speak or 'echoes' lines from shows or movies he's heard. The speech therapist will ask him what animal is on a picture card and he won't respond or he will say a line from a movie like I'm scared. No don't touch me. from Frozen or Do you see the glove balloon? from Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. Sometimes the line fits the situation like I'm scared but most often it appears random. When he gets in the car he will say the names of all the animals on the cards he was shown in the order the therapist showed him the card. He has an incredible memory.

From what you have described, I'd say a definite yes. Sometimes people on the lighter end of the autism spectrum can be very difficult to diagnose, but the signs in your son are very prevalent. You sound as though you have researched the topic extensively and I think you should go with your feelings on this one. The social isolation from his peers, hyperlexia, sensory sensitivities, and developed vocabulary at his young age all point to Asperger's syndrome. From what you've described, it sounds like your helping him along tremendously. Only tips I can give is helping him along with the social and sensory bits. About the sensory, it might be useful to give him a blanket that he can use to apply pressure to himself during a panic attack. It might not help, as every individual is different, but it worked for me. On the social bits, I think he's going to need help in the future. As of now, the social interaction of his peers is fairly simple and straightforward, but as he grows older, he will face more social challenges.

Best wishes to you and your son, I think this website would be a great contact if you have any specific concerns about your son.

he sounds just like my son, he's also 5 we haven't put him in school yet, we did have him tested thru the school board the are setting up and IEP hearing, for him to be in smaller classes with kids more like him. mine also knew his abc and could count by seeing the letters and numbers by 16 months they are very smart and I think that's why it's overlooked, they think your bad parents or don't know how to dicapline, as far as i'm concerned, they don't live with these kids and yes they are different. I don't have my diagnosis yet but are in the process. what is the most frustrating thing for me is. why would you put this label on a child if it wasn't there?? when we saw the child pscy he said he's such a bright boy, but he can't write, we are confused, I said he has aspbergers do you not know what this is?? he was offended, I get tired of professionals, it's a hard diagnosis I agree. but listen to the parents they know! if you want to know what I think, he sounds like aspbergers. our problem with ours right now is he doesn't want to leave the house and shopping is out of the question. it's tough doing your shopping at wal mart in the middle of the night because you can't get him to go with you, he's terrified of wal mart. go figure! they are a different breed, it's ovious to me and his dad but the professionals are still weighing in. good luck

Madame- I've ordered him a weighted blanket to use at home and a lap wrap to use in the car. I'm hoping it helps with some of his sleep issues as well. He has a hard time falling asleep and then he wakes up frequently throughout the night and climbs in bed with me. What types of things can I do or look into to to help him socially? I've thought about signing him up for an activity (swim lessons, karate, gymnastics, etc.) but I'm not sure if that would be a good idea. He loves swimming and is very active so I thought those would be good fits for him, help him burn off some of his energy, and socialize with other children. I only worry about him being overwhelmed and miserable. What do you suggest? This site is so informative. I feel so lucky to have found y'all. I'm learning so much. :D

Rogersmom- I'm sorry that you are having a hard time. My son will actually be turning five on Sunday. Andrew will write with his finger on a tablet and he will paint letters with a paintbrush, but he REFUSES to use crayons or pencils at school. He can spell and read, but doesn't like writing. Our little boys are similar. My son has an IEP and had an evaluation done through the school to see if he was approved for the program and he scored above average intelligence, but the woman said his social skills score was low. (Socially he is like that of a two year old) It just amazes me the talents he has, but the talents come at the price of poor social skills. That's okay. It's like Temple Grandin said, the social yak-yaks didn't build the first stone spear. ;)

AspiesCentral..
cleardot.gif

yes these kids do have a lot in common so they did not give u the IEP? I think the fact that they are so smart is what confuses the professionals. roger will also use his fingers on his tablet, but doesn't write with crayons or pencils. as far as the extra activities I have been told that karate is good for these kinds of kids, it shows them discipline also it's a focus kind of sport, I don't have roger into anything yet. we are still trying to figure out the whole kindergarden thing, my IEP hearing is coming up soon. I just wonder if they will even give him one. I would love to homeschool him it's just he has a hard time with you showing him things or telling him what to do so he's hard to teach, do you also have that problem?

I just hope we figure it all out by fall, I seem to worry a lot about his future and my husband says I stress to much that he is who he is. I don't know I just keep taking it day by day.

hope to hear from you again,

heather<florida>

Madame- I've ordered him a weighted blanket to use at home and a lap wrap to use in the car. I'm hoping it helps with some of his sleep issues as well. He has a hard time falling asleep and then he wakes up frequently throughout the night and climbs in bed with me. What types of things can I do or look into to to help him socially? I've thought about signing him up for an activity (swim lessons, karate, gymnastics, etc.) but I'm not sure if that would be a good idea. He loves swimming and is very active so I thought those would be good fits for him, help him burn off some of his energy, and socialize with other children. I only worry about him being overwhelmed and miserable. What do you suggest? This site is so informative. I feel so lucky to have found y'all. I'm learning so much. :D

Rogersmom- I'm sorry that you are having a hard time. My son will actually be turning five on Sunday. Andrew will write with his finger on a tablet and he will paint letters with a paintbrush, but he REFUSES to use crayons or pencils at school. He can spell and read, but doesn't like writing. Our little boys are similar. My son has an IEP and had an evaluation done through the school to see if he was approved for the program and he scored above average intelligence, but the woman said his social skills score was low. (Socially he is like that of a two year old) It just amazes me the talents he has, but the talents come at the price of poor social skills. That's okay. It's like Temple Grandin said, the social yak-yaks didn't build the first stone spear. ;)

I don't know that much about children (In fact, I'm quite a child now), so please take what I say as an opinion rather than some expert advice. You seem to be a good step ahead on the sensory issues, but there's little I can advise with the social issues to come. It is often easier to state an incoming problem than to advise a way to correct it, and you'll probably need so more informed advice than that which I can offer myself. I'm sure their are many older aspies on this site that would have some great information to provide, though, so it might help to post a thread on your particular questions regarding how to aquaint your son with social customs and behaviour. Although the site seems to be comprised mostly of aspies, you can find some other parents if you look hard enough. Also, since autistic traits tend to be genetic, you might be able to find some "uber-advice" from aspies with aspie children.

Hope this helped somehow. If you need help with making a thread just send me a message. It took me a while to find out how to make a thread- but then again, I can be quite a dunce. : P

I don't know that much about children (In fact, I'm quite a child now), so please take what I say as an opinion rather than some expert advice. You seem to be a good step ahead on the sensory issues, but there's little I can advise with the social issues to come. It is often easier to state an incoming problem than to advise a way to correct it, and you'll probably need so more informed advice than that which I can offer myself. I'm sure their are many older aspies on this site that would have some great information to provide, though, so it might help to post a thread on your particular questions regarding how to aquaint your son with social customs and behaviour. Although the site seems to be comprised mostly of aspies, you can find some other parents if you look hard enough. Also, since autistic traits tend to be genetic, you might be able to find some "uber-advice" from aspies with aspie children.

Hope this helped somehow. If you need help with making a thread just send me a message. It took me a while to find out how to make a thread- but then again, I can be quite a dunce. : P

Thank you so so much. I feel so fortunate to have found this page.

I picked my son up from school today and the teacher said overall he had a good day. He did great during academic time, but during center time he pushed another student. This is the third time this has happened. The teacher said it wasn't out of aggressive. The other student came over to try to play with my son and he got in my son's 'personal bubble' and Andrew shoved him. I don't know how to get him to understand that pushing is not acceptable. I've talked to him, shown him videos, told him to use his words, and nothing works. I understand that he doesn't like people to get too close and wants to be alone, but pushing others is not appropiate or nice. How can I help him understand this or what can I do so he doesn't push again?

New Threads

Top Bottom