• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Need help with some things

Jdeisher

i am Jarett, 29 years old, after all of the therapists and psychiatrists I have seen and dealt with, autism was not once brought up to me. It only came to mind this past week, actually Wednesday 10/18/17. Since i have had it on my mind I cannot get it out! It’s like anything else I get obsessed with! My wife keeps telling me not to obsess about it and is getting agitated with me, since Wednesday I have taken a bunch of tests, done a bunch of research and have been talking to my mom about every single thing I did, how I acted, and what my therapists said when I was to young to remember. I self diagnosed temporarily until I can see my therapist on October 30th. I was also only just diagnosed with ADHD in may of this year. I explain a lot of my struggles in the introduce me page of the forum. Please help, am I obsessing too much and making myself have this diagnosis?

Welcome.

I would say to try to not think about it too much, but that won't really help you. Ultimately, if you're seeing your therapist at the end of the month then it won't be too long until you (hopefully) have some more information.

Keep exploring the topic so that you can arrive at some kind of balance and find some peace. That should be the goal and that's why we're here--to support you in that goal. Its only scary right now because it's new and unknown. Please be careful so as to not let it consume you.

Thank you. I am thankful for the support, and I am also terrified. I just cannot believe I was blinded my entire life, everything I dealt with on a daily basis was a mystery, no one had an answer for me, and I did not know enough about autism to even think that this is what it is. It’s like I had a giant puzzle, and all of my issues and the things I lack were the missing pieces, and when I read about Asperger’s, all of those pieces instantly shot right to me.

It’s like I had a giant puzzle, and all of my issues and the things I lack were the missing pieces, and when I read about Asperger’s, all of those pieces instantly shot right to me.
I know what you mean. I had a friend who once told me that most people look at life as a bunch of puzzle pieces and slowly put them together until they end up with a picture that makes sense to them. But he said that I always seem to start with a whole picture and then slowly pick it apart until I end up with a pile of puzzle pieces. That made no sense to me until years later when I became aware that I had Aspergers. Then it finally made sense to me that, all along, I had been trying to figure out who I was but had no frame of reference. I'm now well on my way to putting that pile of puzzle pieces back together.

Last edited:
i am Jarett, 29 years old, after all of the therapists and psychiatrists I have seen and dealt with, autism was not once brought up to me. It only came to mind this past week, actually Wednesday 10/18/17. Since i have had it on my mind I cannot get it out! It’s like anything else I get obsessed with! My wife keeps telling me not to obsess about it and is getting agitated with me, since Wednesday I have taken a bunch of tests, done a bunch of research and have been talking to my mom about every single thing I did, how I acted, and what my therapists said when I was to young to remember. I self diagnosed temporarily until I can see my therapist on October 30th. I was also only just diagnosed with ADHD in may of this year. I explain a lot of my struggles in the introduce me page of the forum. Please help, am I obsessing too much and making myself have this diagnosis?
I don't know if you are obsessing too much, but it is straining your wife - if I were you, I would use this forum to ask questions, discuss things, even blog about it - it will take the burden off of those around you while you figure things out and process things. My husband who has been super supportive and listened a lot in the past - well, he still listens but I can tell it is burning him out, so I'm trying to turn to this forum instead.

I don't know if you are obsessing too much, but it is straining your wife - if I were you, I would use this forum to ask questions, discuss things, even blog about it - it will take the burden off of those around you while you figure things out and process things. My husband who has been super supportive and listened a lot in the past - well, he still listens but I can tell it is burning him out, so I'm trying to turn to this forum instead.
You are right, I tend to do this quite often, which is why I have to figure out to cope and work on communication with my wife.

Been there, done that. Probably, if you didn’t obsess about AS after realizing you are an aspie, you’d be consider weird in this forum. Welcome:).

Thank you all for the support! I really enjoy the encouraging words and acceptance. It’s not something I am used to at all. It gives me hope, and understanding. I try to do my best but it is very difficult when no one, including myself understand. So having a group that understands makes me feel better

Good to meet ya! I agree, don't obsess because the dx is a strict one, now. Aspergers is not even in DSM. I had the dx, and then they say now I don't have it. I am not NT have genetic Chrom 6 duplication, and have all the signs of Aspies that I had before but they just changed the criteria. However, my Dr told me that place that stripped me of my DX has a bad rep. She said I could get the dx somewhere else, but it's all so much confusion, I am good with the origin of my troubles, the C6.

New Threads

Top Bottom