• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My Son (LFA) is this how its supposed to go? (long post sorry)

VJCJ0628

1st I want to say if I did not have my LFA son I would never have known I or my other son has Aspergers, As I did not previously know much about Autism, In Fact, all I knew previously was from rain man the move, A friend who had a 2 year old daughter, who was the type that did not look at anyone rocked back and forth a lot and could not be touched or held.

Apart from that on the internet, they give you the things to look for in a child, No smiling no eye contact no pretend to play no peekaboo, Dont liek attention, don't like to be held or touch doesn't reach any of the miles stones on time Things like this. Which I think they should revise that list as it does not fit

However when my youngest was born, He would smile at 2 weeks old and I could even make him laugh at that time, I was so amazed because my oldest took till near 3 months.

He didn't crawl on time but he never really crawled He was walking and running early. I don't remember how early but I do remember being amazed how much earlier than my eldest who was around 9 months, So it bit earlier than that. And he made eye contact a lot early on, he does less now. He has a very happy disposition and Loves attention

He loved to be held tickled played peekaboo and we all 3 would play pretend to sleep and wake up game which he loved, So with all this and my limited knowledge, I thought autism was out of the question.

However, there were issues, He would run constantly climb everything, At 1 year old he could say the alphabet forward and backward, He never did the mama, dada or anything like that, among his first words, were giraffe and alligator, He would say lets go early on when I would take him by the hand to go somewhere, Just didnt progress much more on his own

Also He shows signs of Planning, If he knows he is not supposed to climb something he may look for when you are not looking, I could go on about this a lot more but he can be very slick, He has no sense of danger he would literally jump of a bridge into a river if I let him And When i would take him to the park or outside I always needed to be very cautious as he always tried to escape and looks for opportunities and he is very alert in that looking for opportunities to escape (that part is a lot better now

By 2 he could count to 20 and 100 by 10's, He would always have these sparks like he was about to start talking but didn't, and then you have all the people in the family that say things like Albert Einstien dint speak till 3 and everyone knows someone shos kid didn't speak till 3 coupled with the fact that he didn't fit the description on all those parenting sites for autism, It took me till he was near 3 years old to really seek some help and that where it gets weird

1st I went to the PC, PC says he might have autism and I need to go to the school as they are the ones that work with this, I said OK but then there were few months waiting time, When I got there they did all this testing take us into a room to talk, I said ok so whats going on with my Son, There answer well we don't diagnose and cant tell you anything other than he qualifies for services and that I should take him to psychiatrist for direction.

Now there were few months waiting time for an appointment, When I get there they do testing and diagnose him and I am waiting for some type of education so kind of outlay of what things may look like down the road what to expect, But No I just got a recommendation to go to ABA they are the ones that do that

Now to Aba I also got him in speech and OT and schools services, Aba probably do the most but did I get much education direction outlook NO that can only show me the data on current projects and that's about it, Also I feel like speech and ot really aren't doing anything but ABA Is doing the most

All of this took a year to get it all together in all the therapies.He is 4 now he has really a full vocabulary, he can read, But he doesn't talk not really, I feel he could or should. I mean I think he has it in him, He speaks more at Aba, But only as to follow directions At home he will speak more when prompted he might come to the kitchen but I have to say what do you want and point to signs for him to say it

However, I always thought I would have someone who is the head of the care one that can put it all together say if there is say an issue with speech therapy for instance. And also to give a clearer outlook for the future what may or may not be, But from all the people in is circle of care I get no direction in this regard is this normal?

This may not be low functioning. It just might be developmental delays. I learned to walk late and I learned to read and speak late but I am actually very high functioning.

I would guess it's normal for professionals to be unable to tell you what the future will look like when your son is so young. (If that's what you mean?) Maybe when he is a bit older they will do a bit more predicting.

Some autistic kids with more severe difficulties in early childhood "catch up" so their abilities in adulthood are mild, and others have severe difficulties that stay severe forever. As far as I know, they don't know how to predict who will follow which developmental path.

I would guess it's normal for professionals to be unable to tell you what the future will look like when your son is so young. (If that's what you mean?) Maybe when he is a bit older they will do a bit more predicting.

Some autistic kids with more severe difficulties in early childhood "catch up" so their abilities in adulthood are mild, and others have severe difficulties that stay severe forever. As far as I know, they don't know how to predict who will follow which developmental path.

that may be so but they don't even say that It seems everyone in the circle just points to the other for answers

New Threads

Top Bottom