• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My son is up for an ADHD eval next week ...advice?

zozie

Hey all,

My 14-year-old is going to be evaluated for ADHD next week. Any advice or thoughts?

He does well in school if he has an extra study period but totally crashes after the school day and I'm worried that his good grades might work against him. That said, he basically failed every class in 2020, except that the school decided to "pass" every kid because covid messed everything up.

I'll be bringing in our fitness ball for him to bounce on while we do our first appointment (son and mom) because it's 2 hours long.

Also, I am not sure if there are quality ADHD forums out there. Seems like there are more for autism than ADHD, but maybe I'm not looking in the right place?

Thanks in advance, let us pray that his assessment goes more smoothly than mine did.

I too would be curious about advice. I completed an initial intake zoom meeting with a psychologist specializing in ADHD assessment. I'm going to be getting set up for one myself likely in the next few months.

Autism and ADHD are often comorbid conditions. I have both, my son has both. My son has ADHD terribly bad, he never sits unless he's eating or sleeping. ADHD is a bit easier to see and diagnose than autism is. I think a good quality assessment should take time. It took me 10 months to be formally diagnosed with autism. I have little trust in diagnoses that are a 30 minute meeting and then they diagnose you with anything.

Anyways good luck. I wish you the best.

I actually just got a call from the evaluation clinic. They're recommending an autism evaluation (and comorbidities like ADHD) because of the history that I gave them over the phone, which means a longer wait, but also an eval from an award-winning doctor. So I'm actually very relieved. I wouldn't be surprised if he has both.

In general when it comes to filling forms or doing an evaluation like this, it is best to paint as black a picture as you can. I know it may feel cruel to be as black as you can, but the system can only cope with the info you give them, and if they dont get the black picture then they dont know; and their evaluation will be flawed because they dont have the info.

New Threads

Top Bottom