• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My son has Asperger's

jayj

Im new, found out a year ago my 8 year old son has asperger's, i'm seperated from his Mum and have been before birth. When he's with me he enjoys it and always chooses to come when we ask him so he's comfortable with it. He is beautiful, has bright moments, and like me suffers with Adhd. I worry how behind he is at times and his focus/attention span and want to help with techniques that work for others in my position. Can anyone share thoughts with simular experiences who has experienced Asperger's? Again i'm new so i'm sorry if i'm in the wrong section of this app.

I would guess that any issues with his focus/attentions span are the result of his Adhd, rather than his Aspergers.
That being said, welcome to Aspies Central. I don't have any great advice off the top of my head, but others here probably will.
This forum is a great place, and we're glad to meet you. :)

All I can say personally is that each individual varies. You can your son can both seek out resources and alternatives that work for him. Make your son part of the process of looking for solutions- I don't think anyone is too young to start. For learning academia, especially for earlier material, there are a lot of visuals and manipulatives to help learn various topics. Be aware that more advanced topics don't have the same kind of necessarily the quality of visuals that younger material may or may not have, or that visuals help with motivation and understanding a concept itself. The pattern recognition from some more visual methods does not always translate very well to more complex material, at least not with math. Something to keep in mind.

Hi jayj and welcome,
You are your son's greatest resource and influence. The bond between father and son, with similar issues, is so precious.
My son too was a very slow learner, in so many areas. Keep putting opportunity in front of him and when he finds his interests, it will totally amaze you. We took our son to a come and try music school day. He now plays 3 instruments, sings and is preparing to embark on a career in sound engineering. Computers were another opportunity he was presented with and has become a real force to be reckoned with. The areas, that your son struggles with, will require strong advocacy. Good communication with teachers, and helping them to understand, just how your son learns. The key to teaching them, is to play to their strengths
Cheers
Turk

New Threads

Top Bottom