• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My medication isn't working

Starflowerpower87

I'm on a bunch of different stuff. I hear voices. They keep me up at night. My medication isn't working and they keep increasing it all the time.

Last edited:
What do the voices say?

Mean, scary things?
Not reassuring?

Do they remind you of anybody you've known in real life?

Would it do any good to have something else to listen to,
like white noise, or music, or a television show turned low, but
loud enough that you'd be focused on that instead of the
voices?

How long have you been using the medication?
Have you told your medical provider that the stuff isn't working for you?

The voices say mean things. Scary things. I've tried listening to background noise. It helps a little but not totally because they talk right over it.

Last edited:
@Starflowerpower87

"I'm on a bunch of different stuff......
I don't think antipsychotic meds work because I'm on lots and the dose keeps going up and I still hear voices that bother me."

How long have you been using your current medication?

When was the last time you spoke to the provider who prescribed it?

The question of how long you've been on the medication is definitely an important one. Do the medications provide any benefit at all? If not, it might be worth a try to switch medications. There are a decent number of antipsychotics available.

Sorry you are hearing bad voices spouting stuffs. Just keep a clear mind, and realize it's just random voices, it doesn't have any connection to you. You could keep a journal of things said. Show to your therapist, write a story with them. You could even answer them in your journal SO you feel in control. It maybe time for a different prescription? Are you taking anything that may interfere with this medication?

Sorry for the bad things happening in your life right now. Have you considered trying a different medication? After a while, you can grow use to taking the same medication. You grow a tolerance to it. You might need to take a different type of prescription. I hope you feel better. I know what it feels like to not have meds. It changes your life.

@Starflowerpower87

I don't think antipsychotic meds work because I'm on lots and the dose keeps going up and I still hear voices that bother me."

I've been taking clopixol injections for 6 years. I've been taking risperidone for 7 months. I just spoke to my psychiatrist he helped me sort things out in my head.

Actua
@Starflowerpower87

Actually now I'm scared again. My psychiatrist told me to take more medication to deal with the problem. They keep giving me more and more. They are going to kill me this way.

Did you mention that to your psychiatrist, that
you're feeling very anxious over the idea of
upping the dose ?

That's interesting.
The voices and the psychiatrist both say to increase the dose?

What do the voices say?

Mean, scary things?
Not reassuring?

Do they remind you of anybody you've known in real life?

Would it do any good to have something else to listen to,
like white noise, or music, or a television show turned low, but
loud enough that you'd be focused on that instead of the
voices?

How long have you been using the medication?
Have you told your medical provider that the stuff isn't working for you?
They do remind me of people in real life. I don't want to talk about who they are, they aren't good people lets just say that. And I don't think they have the best intentions for me. I don't want to say why either. It's too upsetting to talk about. So I think the voices are real people.

I took the extra pill last night like the doctor suggested. It helped me sleep but when I woke up I found that I was constipated. So I don't know how I'm supposed to keep upping the dose if I get constipated from it.

someone suggested writing a journal about the voices to show a therapist. That would be a good idea if I could trust therapists. I've had bad experiences with them.

Are these actually tangible voices you can hear through your ears? Can you tell if they have accents, male/female, etc?

Or are these mental voices?

@Starflowerpower87

Constipation is a poor situation , but you
can deal with that. Some foods that are
helpful would be yogurt, applesauce, the
old stand by stewed prunes or prune juice.
Bowl of oatmeal. Or stool softeners, if
none of those foods suit you.

Do the bad experiences with therapists
include your current therapist?

They are usually thoughts that aren't my own. But I have heard them outside my head before with my ears. This rarely happens though. They are different people male and female. They have different voices.

Are these actually tangible voices you can hear through your ears? Can you tell if they have accents, male/female, etc?

Or are these mental voices?

@Starflowerpower87

Constipation is a poor situation , but you
can deal with that. Some foods that are
helpful would be yogurt, applesauce, the
old stand by stewed prunes or prune juice.
Bowl of oatmeal. Or stool softeners, if
none of those foods suit you.

Do the bad experiences with therapists
include your current therapist?
I don't have a current therapist. The whole 6 years I've been treated with schizophrenia I've been going without a therapist.

New Threads

Top Bottom