• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My list of Aspie (ASD level 1) symptoms/characteristics

J. Lundberg

Hello, I was diagnosed with ASD (level 1) a couple of years ago at the age of 47. Since then, my wife (NT) periodically assumes that others in my family might have it as well. So, I compiled a list of 23 common symptoms and attributes that I feel myself and most Aspies can relate to. If whoever she has in mind does not possess at least some or most of these qualities or characteristics, then they are probably not on the spectrum. Maybe this list will help others decide if they or someone they know are actually on the spectrum or not.

A person with Autism Spectrum Disorder typically:

1. Has sensory overload issues and therefore dislikes any loud or unexpected sound or bright lighting.

2. Is sensitive to stimulants.

3. Has a strong preference for isolation and privacy and little interest in close relationships with most people.

4. Deals with anxiety on almost an everyday basis.

5. Is uncomfortable in social situations and avoids small talk with most people. Conversations and maintaining eye contact with unfamiliar people can be both uncomfortable and draining.

6. Has an aversion to changing routine and thrives on keeping things structured. Experiences symptoms of anxiety with any disruption in routine. For example, Aspies typically tend to wear the same clothes and eat the same foods on a regular basis.

7. Consistently organizes things of interest and finds great comfort in doing so.

8. Is highly analytical and logical and sees patterns in everything. This is why many Aspies find mathematics and anything involving equations interesting.

9. Has obsessions in which they consistently involve themselves with interests or projects that many people would find uninteresting. Aspies also often find it difficult to stop obsessing over one thing in order to obsess over another.

10. Maintains a negative or skeptical thought process that consists of black/white all or none thinking in which people or situations are typically categorized into good/bad.

11. Often incorrectly reads people, taking things literally or skeptically and assuming that people’s motives are selfish, which leads to misunderstandings.

12. Typically has a lack of expression and monotone speech and feels uncomfortable or unnatural to smile, which makes them seem cold, unemotional, or detached.

13. Has an inability to deal with large crowds, especially when unexpected.

14. Often finds it difficult to effectively show empathy for others.

15. Can sometimes have excessive outbursts of anger and meltdowns over trivial matters.

16. Often uses blunt, to the point, honest, and direct speech and sometimes says inappropriate things out loud to others, not caring whether the person is offended or not. Aspies are often in a battle with themselves regarding when to use discretion.

17. Has a fascination or interest in animate objects, toys, and related items. Maintains a childlike interests as an adult.

18. Sometimes has little interest in maintaining personal appearance.

19. Is usually uncomfortable with affection from strangers.

20. Typically has absolutely terrible handwriting.

21. Has very poor short term memory for things they find uninteresting but can remember obscure events that happened several years ago, sometimes in great detail.

22. Often engages in a form of fidgeting or stimming, which includes knee bobbing or any repetitive motion with the hands or fingers.

23. Often displays OCD tendencies such as double checking things or repeating the same act a certain number of times.

I am positive for each trait you listed. I learned to be stealthy about my stimming though, grinding teeth for example. I bit one of my molars in half a couple years ago.

1. Has sensory overload issues and therefore dislikes any loud or unexpected sound or bright lighting.

3. Has a strong preference for isolation and privacy and little interest in close relationships with most people.

5. Is uncomfortable in social situations and avoids small talk with most people. Conversations and maintaining eye contact with unfamiliar people can be both uncomfortable and draining.

6. Has an aversion to changing routine and thrives on keeping things structured. Experiences symptoms of anxiety with any disruption in routine. For example, Aspies typically tend to wear the same clothes and eat the same foods on a regular basis.

7. Consistently organizes things of interest and finds great comfort in doing so.

8. Is highly analytical and logical and sees patterns in everything. This is why many Aspies find mathematics and anything involving equations interesting.

9. Has obsessions in which they consistently involve themselves with interests or projects that many people would find uninteresting. Aspies also often find it difficult to stop obsessing over one thing in order to obsess over another.

10. Maintains a negative or skeptical thought process that consists of black/white all or none thinking in which people or situations are typically categorized into good/bad.

11. Often incorrectly reads people, taking things literally or skeptically and assuming that people’s motives are selfish, which leads to misunderstandings.

12. Typically has a lack of expression and monotone speech and feels uncomfortable or unnatural to smile, which makes them seem cold, unemotional, or detached.

15. Can sometimes have excessive outbursts of anger and meltdowns over trivial matters.

16. Often uses blunt, to the point, honest, and direct speech and sometimes says inappropriate things out loud to others, not caring whether the person is offended or not. Aspies are often in a battle with themselves regarding when to use discretion.

17. Has a fascination or interest in animate objects, toys, and related items. Maintains a childlike interests as an adult.

21. Has very poor short term memory for things they find uninteresting but can remember obscure events that happened several years ago, sometimes in great detail.

22. Often engages in a form of fidgeting or stimming, which includes knee bobbing or any repetitive motion with the hands or fingers.

23. Often displays OCD tendencies such as double checking things or repeating the same act a certain number of times.

Enough about me, let's talk about someone else! :p

Indeed, I can very much relate to nearly all of those attributes. ;)

Two things though which continue to confuse me (and no doubt others) are where you draw a line between social anxiety and OCD which is comorbid to ASD rather than simply a literal aspect of it. Though I suppose it's academic in that if you have such conditions, you simply have them, as I do. For me they "ebb and flow", but never go away. Not even with self-awareness or CBT.

I was formally diagnosed with social anxiety, chronic clinical depression and OCD. But any thought of autism never came up at the time, which was as Dr. Asperger's research was just beginning to being professionally accepted in the early 80s.

Thanks for posting.

Last edited:
Yes, that confused me as well for a long time. In fact, that is precisely why I was not diagnosed with ASD until late in life. I always believed that I simply had social anxiety or generalized anxiety disorder and of course OCD. But when you start looking at all the other traits of ASD such as all the ones in my list, it really does look like it could be more than simply anxiety and OCD. There is a fine line though, I completely agree.

Hello, I was diagnosed with ASD (level 1) a couple of years ago at the age of 47. Since then, my wife (NT) periodically assumes that others in my family might have it as well. So, I compiled a list of 23 common symptoms and attributes that I feel myself and most Aspies can relate to. If whoever she has in mind does not possess at least some or most of these qualities or characteristics, then they are probably not on the spectrum. Maybe this list will help others decide if they or someone they know are actually on the spectrum or not.

welcome
IMG_0205.JPG

When I first read this I thought this will be a bit general, and some of the points raised are not exclusive to those on the ASD spectrum.
However nearly all of the points raised impact me to a greater or lesser extent.

In particular though theses are things which resonate with me the most, 1,3,5,6,8,10,15,18,21,23.

While in contrast 20, my handwriting is very neat although somewhat small.

So a great list, and a big welcome to the forum.

All of these for me. As a kid, I was impossible to go to buy clothes with, seeing as the clothes in shops changed all the time and I always looked for the same, made from the same materials. At times, I had multiple shirts and trousers that were exactly the same but I stopped wearing them every day when I heard a talk between two teachers concerning people wearing the same thing for the next day as for the previous one.

Also, stopping obsessing? If I stop, I'm definitely sick or depressed. If something, I can obsess about many things at the same time and the problem is that I want to do all of these right now!

"2. Is sensitive to stimulants."
In my experience, stimulants calm me down. I take adderall, and I feel that it makes me much calmer and reduces anxiety. I also have adhd along with autism though.

That pretty much nailed me. Except for the OCD bit. Never had any of that. And I often have too little anxiety for my own good, if that makes any sense. I do have social issues, but not exactly anxiety. The closest I get to anxiety is when I get really overwhelmed, usually with sound.

This is a really good list. I actually copied and pasted it, then added some notes. I want to give it to my therapist to show her I might be autistic. Is that okay?

Positive for every single one except 20, my handwriting is beautiful!

I would refine a few though, I wouldn't say that our special interests are boring to others, it's just that we take the level of depth and obsession that no one else can really grasp. Also, it's not that I don't care if the other person is offended. I try not to offend people, but NTs can get sensitive at the most ridiculous things. Also I don't assume people have selfish motives, just that they are idiots. Any points there about apparent arrogance? :)

Almost everything to varying degrees except the handwriting. It's not pitch perfect, but it's pretty good...except cursive, which sucks. Lack of usage and practice there, so no surprise.

New Threads

Top Bottom